Answered

Voice Unlock on Mate 20 Pro

• 6 November 2018
  • 33 replies

I am a new Huawei user, prior with my Mate 20 Pro, I was using a Samsung S8+. Since then, I have started to use Google Assistance regularly. With my old S8+ I could wake it up, unlock the phone and straightaway the screen will brought me to Google Assistance and be ready to listen for my next voice command. But for unknown reason, I couldn’t do the same with my newly acquired Mate 20 Pro. FYI, I have both enabled Google Voice Match and trained it to recognise my voice. When I call out “Ok Google” to my Mate 20 Pro, the screen will then prompt with the message, “Voice Unlock has been paused. Device will stay unlock until you manually unlock”, and then the keypad screen appears prompting me to unlock the phone manually either with my passcode, or with my biometrical.

Does anyone else is also experiencing the same problem like I have? Otherwise, how do you work around to unlock your phone with Google Voice Match successfully. I understand that Huawei do have similar feature built-in into our phone, but I prefer to use Google’s one. Now I wonder if Huawei is impeding that function purposely in order to promote to use with their own Voice Wakeup function 🤔
icon

Best answer by RussH 24 November 2018, 11:10

If you use voice on your phone you probably depend on it, especially if your a driver. So this problem NEEDS to be resolved!

And I've fixed this!!! -Twice! I think with this issue there are two problems running together. The first can be resolved with the favoured solution above that involves going into phone settings > apps > Google > clear cache and data. For me, the problem recurred, and it did not resolve Voice unlock, so here is what I did.

If you have enabled 'PrivateSpace' on your phone, then you are essentially holding two devices in you hand, and if both your 'Privatespace' mode and your normal mode phones are signed in to your google account, then there is a conflict about which mode the phone opens in when it responds to you saying 'OK Google'.

Therefore, try going into your 'PrivateSpace', open your Google app, press 'more' in bottom right of the screen > settings > accounts and privacy > Google account > SIGN OUT. If you want to have a google account in your private space you will probably need to set up an alternative 'private' google account and disable the voice unlock on that account to ensure that conflict didn't reoccur. Also make sure voice id off by going into the google app settings (in Private mode again), select 'voice' > Voice Match and toggle all switches to off.

Return your phone to normal, none-Private space mode. Try your voice unlock, hopefully it will work. If not, clear the Google app cache and memory again. Because you will still be signed in to your Google account when your phone is in regular mode, when you set up voice unlock in your signed in regular account it will work properly as there is nor only one 'device' that is set up to respond (ie your phone in normal mode, no longer the phone in PrivateSpace mode).

I hope I haven't made it sound more complicated than it is!! Good luck.
View original

33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
So I've never actually used this feature myself but I just set it up and it completely unlocked my phone with my voice no probs, it did say that it's not as secure so I won't actually be using it.
Here's how I got it working,
Go into settings, scroll downs and click on Google(Google services), scroll down and click on Search, assistant & voice, now click on voice, now click voice match, now just toggle on the unlock with voice match setting.
This worked for me so hopefully it's what you need to get it working.

Regards Jase.
I am having the same problem. Exactly same as described above. I'm fingerprint unlock + face unlock + 6 digits unlock. I really got stuck here with this problem and am unable to use GAssistant as I was recently with GalaxyS7
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I am having the same problem. Exactly same as described above. I'm fingerprint unlock + face unlock + 6 digits unlock. I really got stuck here with this problem and am unable to use GAssistant as I was recently with GalaxyS7

Did you try my method to fix above?
Yes, of course. I will add, that when You enable the slider that says: "Unlock with Voice Match", then You are requested to paste in 6 digit PIN or finger scan. I have tried both.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
That's strange as it worked for me, only difference is I had pattern unlock and not the six digit method, although that is only for back up use as it's mainly Face id or fingerprint that I use. Sorry I can't think what it could be 🤷
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Just to clarify, are you not actually able to toggle the voice match slider on?
Have fixed it!

Go to settings | apps then apps. Go to Google and select it. Go to storage. Select clear cache. Then click manage space and clear data. Exit settings.

Now go to Google (the app). Make sure it works.
Next, go into settings, scroll downs and click on Google(Google services), scroll down and click on Search, assistant & voice, now click on voice, now click voice match, now once again here, just toggle on the unlock with voice match setting. Type in 6 gidit password, and voila. It works.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Cool, glad you got it working 👍👍
Have fixed it!

Go to settings | apps then apps. Go to Google and select it. Go to storage. Select clear cache. Then click manage space and clear data. Exit settings.

Now go to Google (the app). Make sure it works.
Next, go into settings, scroll downs and click on Google(Google services), scroll down and click on Search, assistant & voice, now click on voice, now click voice match, now once again here, just toggle on the unlock with voice match setting. Type in 6 gidit password, and voila. It works.

Sadly, I have tried both method as advised by @Jase & @mattPiratt, I have also tried to clear my firmware cache, but I still couldn't unlock my M20P with my voice. 😞
Hi. Update from my side. I cannot rely on this in Mate 20 Pro. When I say "Ok Google", 25% of times, phone gots stuck on lock screen instead of unlocking himself and automatically jump to Google Asistant overlay.
This was never a case on my previous Samsung S7 and S5. For me this means it's not a problem of Google, but EMUI software from Huawei.
Yes, I agree with you. As I never have experience such as case with my old Samsung either. On a side note, the Google Assistance on Mate 20 Pro would occasionally "freeze" to listen for the next command after it has been activated with "Ok Google".

Anyway, let's home Huawei will look into patching up this glitch and resolving this issue with the next EMUI updates. 🤞🏻
when i get to the screen voice match under google setting,the toggle button to enable is not working, or greyed out. Does anyone have any ideas. I did go in to google app and cleared out all cache. i didn't reboot but i''' try that now.

how is this differnt then the google assit app i also down loaded icon has little colored dots
when i get to the screen voice match under google setting,the toggle button to enable is not working, or greyed out. Does anyone have any ideas. I did go in to google app and cleared out all cache. i didn't reboot but i''' try that now.

Google asistant is available only in some languages. For example EnglishUS. If You set this as system language (phone default lang), does it still apear to be grayed out?

how is this differnt then the google assit app i also down loaded icon has little colored dots

Google Asistant is not an app You can download. It is build in feature of "Google" app (something phones with Android have for default). What You mean by "downloaded"?
If you use voice on your phone you probably depend on it, especially if your a driver. So this problem NEEDS to be resolved!

And I've fixed this!!! -Twice! I think with this issue there are two problems running together. The first can be resolved with the favoured solution above that involves going into phone settings > apps > Google > clear cache and data. For me, the problem recurred, and it did not resolve Voice unlock, so here is what I did.

If you have enabled 'PrivateSpace' on your phone, then you are essentially holding two devices in you hand, and if both your 'Privatespace' mode and your normal mode phones are signed in to your google account, then there is a conflict about which mode the phone opens in when it responds to you saying 'OK Google'.

Therefore, try going into your 'PrivateSpace', open your Google app, press 'more' in bottom right of the screen > settings > accounts and privacy > Google account > SIGN OUT. If you want to have a google account in your private space you will probably need to set up an alternative 'private' google account and disable the voice unlock on that account to ensure that conflict didn't reoccur. Also make sure voice id off by going into the google app settings (in Private mode again), select 'voice' > Voice Match and toggle all switches to off.

Return your phone to normal, none-Private space mode. Try your voice unlock, hopefully it will work. If not, clear the Google app cache and memory again. Because you will still be signed in to your Google account when your phone is in regular mode, when you set up voice unlock in your signed in regular account it will work properly as there is nor only one 'device' that is set up to respond (ie your phone in normal mode, no longer the phone in PrivateSpace mode).

I hope I haven't made it sound more complicated than it is!! Good luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing this RussH!
Sadly, after the work around I discribed, the issue recurs. If you follow my instructions you will then still need to return to normal mode, (as you would anyway), and then just restart the phone to reenable voice and voice unlock. However you will not need a just your settings again.

In short, restart the phone after using your private space.

This is a million miles from an ideal solution. Niggles like this might be acceptable on a budget phone, however on a £900 phone it needs ironing out asap!!!
I have tried all methods above and it still doesn't work for me.

I have email Huawei support twice on this in 12 days and still haven't heard back.
That's not good. You'd think they'd attempt to address the obvious issue with a software update. My work around works for me so I don't see why it shouldn't for you. Maybe try factory reset if you can swallow having to do that? Good luck.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
So I've never actually used this feature myself but I just set it up and it completely unlocked my phone with my voice no probs, it did say that it's not as secure so I won't actually be using it.
Here's how I got it working,
Go into settings, scroll downs and click on Google(Google services), scroll down and click on Search, assistant & voice, now click on voice, now click voice match, now just toggle on the unlock with voice match setting.
This worked for me so hopefully it's what you need to get it working.

Regards Jase.

As said above I can get the phone unlocked using this method ^^, no other steps required.

I don't have private space enabled so that keeps that out off the equation but also wondered if perhaps any the folks having troubles were using third party launchers?
I'd be interested to see if that's perhaps got anything to do with it?
Maybe I'm clutching at straws but it's just weird I can do this with no issues and others are having all sorts of nightmares.

Regards Jase
Hi RussH

Huawei got back to me but didn't even address the issue. Surprise, surprise

All they said if I was having a problem unlocking my phone, in general not with Google Assistant, that I should do a factory reset.
I can't believe they would let this go on as obviously it is an issue affecting many other users.

I will factory reset today and post hhow it goes.
Hi All

Huawei got back to me after a 3rd email about the problem with opening the phone with GA.
Apparently if you have any of the security password ,face,pin options on GA won't be able to unlock the screen.
Just Lovely. I would think that your voice signature would work. It certainly did on my S8.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Here's a link to a video with me showing this working with all security features still enabled

https://youtu.be/9D60sAtdD3E

Regards Jase
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi All

Huawei got back to me after a 3rd email about the problem with opening the phone with GA.
Apparently if you have any of the security password ,face,pin options on GA won't be able to unlock the screen.
Just Lovely. I would think that your voice signature would work. It certainly did on my S8.

Here's a link to a video with me showing this working with all security features still enabled

https://youtu.be/9D60sAtdD3E
Regards Jase

Yep, can confirm Google voice unlock works for me too with other security features activated.
Thanks Guys
I was holding off doing a factory reset but I guess that's my next option

I appreciate the help
Hi All

Updated for you. So to get a work around for GA I tried to make the phone so the screen would stay on but Huawei has a limit of a maximum 10 min. I thought this was wierd as my S8 you could set the screen to be always on. I went and looked at the new S9 and it is the same as my M20P, only a 10 min setting.

I found someone that works at Google that was willing to tell me what's going on.
Due to government legislation here in Canada and if not already, the USA, Google,Siri and any other AI is not allowed to unlock a phone anymore.
The government inacted this as they didn't want people to be able to open their phones while driving.
I don't know what it is like in the UK but we have very heavy fines for using the phone while driving. The next piece of legislation coming in is if they catch 3 times your car is impounded for 30 days and a $1000 fine. Then it goes up from there.

Sighhhhhhhhh