Voice Unlock on Mate 20 Pro

• 6 November 2018
  • 33 replies

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi All

Updated for you. So to get a work around for GA I tried to make the phone so the screen would stay on but Huawei has a limit of a maximum 10 min. I thought this was wierd as my S8 you could set the screen to be always on. I went and looked at the new S9 and it is the same as my M20P, only a 10 min setting.

I found someone that works at Google that was willing to tell me what's going on.
Due to government legislation here in Canada and if not already, the USA, Google,Siri and any other AI is not allowed to unlock a phone anymore.
The government inacted this as they didn't want people to be able to open their phones while driving.
I don't know what it is like in the UK but we have very heavy fines for using the phone while driving. The next piece of legislation coming in is if they catch 3 times your car is impounded for 30 days and a $1000 fine. Then it goes up from there.

Sighhhhhhhhh

Interesting @Jgriff. In the UK it is illegal to 'hold a phone' while driving, but voice command is allowed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi All

Updated for you. So to get a work around for GA I tried to make the phone so the screen would stay on but Huawei has a limit of a maximum 10 min. I thought this was wierd as my S8 you could set the screen to be always on. I went and looked at the new S9 and it is the same as my M20P, only a 10 min setting.

I found someone that works at Google that was willing to tell me what's going on.
Due to government legislation here in Canada and if not already, the USA, Google,Siri and any other AI is not allowed to unlock a phone anymore.
The government inacted this as they didn't want people to be able to open their phones while driving.
I don't know what it is like in the UK but we have very heavy fines for using the phone while driving. The next piece of legislation coming in is if they catch 3 times your car is impounded for 30 days and a $1000 fine. Then it goes up from there.

Sighhhhhhhhh

Well that sucks big time but I guess I can see where there coming from.
It is not illegal to operate a device while driving in Canada... You just cannot be holding the device in your hand. Makes no sense to me, I cannot accept this. Cops need to use devices while they drive this so are we as civilians. Seems like a Huawei issue not Google or legislation. Needs to be fixed.... I drive a lot for work and this is not acceptable.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
It is not illegal to operate a device while driving in Canada... You just cannot be holding the device in your hand. Makes no sense to me, I cannot accept this. Cops need to use devices while they drive this so are we as civilians. Seems like a Huawei issue not Google or legislation. Needs to be fixed.... I drive a lot for work and this is not acceptable.

Huawei UK devices don't have this issue though, different countries, different rules. Can't say I don't feel your pain but that's life I guess, you might be getting lumped in along with America phone rule wise but at least you still get free healthcare lol.

Regards Jase
Hi. I have a UK version and I'm having the same issue. I have tried following the clear cache and data steps and I don't have the privatespace turned on. OK Google was one of the reasons I switch from iOS! Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi. I have a UK version and I'm having the same issue. I have tried following the clear cache and data steps and I don't have the privatespace turned on. OK Google was one of the reasons I switch from iOS! Any other suggestions?

Go into settings, scroll down and click on Google(Google services), scroll down and click on Search, assistant & voice, now click on voice, now click voice match, now just toggle on the unlock with voice match setting(you need to enter your PIN or security method at this point) then the setting should be activated.

Regards Jase

Ps. this is a really unsecure way of unlocking your device, anyone with a similar voice will be able to access your phone, so however useful I wouldn't actually recommend it.
Hi Jase. I have tried that process but although OK Google is picked up it does not get passed the lock screen.

I have moved from ios and hey siri works from iddle so was hoping this feature would work on the mate 20 Pro.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi Jase. I have tried that process but although OK Google is picked up it does not get passed the lock screen.

I have moved from ios and hey siri works from iddle so was hoping this feature would work on the mate 20 Pro.

That's weird, if you check my video you can see it clearly working as it does for others in the UK, the steps above are exactly what I did so I'm a bit stumped why it's not working for you because it should 🤔. I'm reluctant to say reset your phone because it's probably something else simple but I honestly can't think.
Maybe someone else can help?

Regards Jase