Answered

Who's responsible for updates on unlocked Mate 20 pro

• 7 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
It occurs to me that if you've got a phone like myself that was bought unlocked (mate 20 pro) Who is actually responsible for software updates?.
I understand that if you have a phone from a carrier it may take longer for updates, the carrier's software needs tested first for conflicts before sending out any updates etc, but if you don't have any of that carrier stuff on your phone surely there should be another method to update the phone?
It's not exactly the carrier's problem if you didn't buy it from them is it?
Thoughts?

Regsrds Jase.
icon

Best answer by chillphone 7 November 2018, 13:47

Good point but I think the updates are pushed via carriers and although unlocked you will be using a carrier sim.
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Good point but I think the updates are pushed via carriers and although unlocked you will be using a carrier sim.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I can imagine if I called the carrier to ask (three in my case) they'd pretty much tell me to take a run and jump lol.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The updates seem to come based upon the inserted SIM. People putting in a Vodafone SIM were getting updates even if the phone was unlocked or from another carrier but unlocked.
It doesn't matter if your phone is locked to a carrier or unlocked. It will receive updates. Sometimes it's better to be unlocked as you don't have to wait for the carrier to verify the update after its release.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

I closed this topic because there already is a topic on Mate 20 Pro updates. 🙂