Who would like the option to take 16:9 aspect ratio photos with your Huawei phone?


Userlevel 3
I wanted to start this conversation to see if there are others like me, who miss this ability. Technically it's just a firmware update away and if enough of us voice a desire for this, Huawei might listen.

For me 16:9 aspect ratio is very important because it's the most practical when viewed on a normal TV or PC screen. For some purists or professionals 4:3 might be preferred, but the inclusion of 16:9 won't get in the way of that, but for everyday use with normal everyday people (which is the vast majority) 16:9 is more practical (even if it means not being able to use the full resolution of the sensor).

It will allow you to use your photos as fullscreen wallpapers without having to crop them and you'd be able to enjoy watching pictures without wasting valuable screen estate.

Please like this post if you agree and comment. Invite others to take part in the discussion 🙂

15 replies

16:9 for the reasons you have already mentioned or 2:3 as usual with SLR cameras would also be OK.
Userlevel 1
Please Huawei, make it happen!

Video is 16:9 by default, and no one would seriously suggest a 4:3 format for it, so why should we not even have the *option* of 16:9 for photos?

If I may tag @Amy, to beg to have this request forwarded higher up.. Thanks! 🙂
Great idea ! Huawei make it happen!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Yeah I'd like as well if it's possible, definitely no harm in the suggestion that's for sure.

Regards Jase
I agree with you. The cons about Mate 20 Pro does not have 16:9 aspect ratio which is most useful instead of 4:3 aspect ratio. We hope Huawei will look into it and provide 16:9 aspect ratio and I don't mind about megapixel.
Userlevel 3
Not sure if this issue relates to only Mate 20 Pro users or all Huawei phones (with screens wider than 16:9), but considering how many Mate series users there are who registers with this community percentage wise, which is probably not huge, and how many there are that are actually active here instead of just using it for a single issue, it probably doesn't take a whole lot of people agreeing to this on this thread in order to be able to conclude that there must probably be many thousands of people globally who would like this feature.

But for those of you that are here and would like this, please use the share function in order to get as many as possible on board 🙂
Hugely disappointed by this. Bought a Mate 20 Pro, the most expensive phone I've ever bought, by far, and it can't take photos in 16:9 format? One of the main reasons I went for this phone was the amazing camera. I can understand 4:3 if you're printing the photos, but who does that anymore? Everyone watches their photos on 16:9 screens nowadays.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Tyralyon wrote:

Hugely disappointed by this. Bought a Mate 20 Pro, the most expensive phone I've ever bought, by far, and it can't take photos in 16:9 format? One of the main reasons I went for this phone was the amazing camera. I can understand 4:3 if you're printing the photos, but who does that anymore? Everyone watches their photos on 16:9 screens nowadays.


I kinda disagree,18:9 is fast becoming the normal screen ratio for phones and as most people view pictures on there phones it seems logical to have pictures in this ratio (which we do) and not 16:9. However I'm not saying I wouldn't also like the 16:9 option for when viewed elsewhere as there's definitely still a huge number of 16:9 screens in the market, like all most all TVs for example.

Regards Jase
bjorsim wrote:

Not sure if this issue relates to only Mate 20 Pro users or all Huawei phones (with screens wider than 16:9), but considering how many Mate series users there are who registers with this community percentage wise, which is probably not huge, and how many there are that are actually active here instead of just using it for a single issue, it probably doesn't take a whole lot of people agreeing to this on this thread in order to be able to conclude that there must probably be many thousands of people globally who would like this feature.

But for those of you that are here and would like this, please use the share function in order to get as many as possible on board :)



Mr. Bjorsim, previously i'm using Mate 8. Yea, originally Huawei provided 16:9 resolution on the Mate 8. Sadly, when I changed to Mate 20 Pro, this resolution not longer exist.
I want to buy the Mate 20 Pro because of the nice camera. But I want 16:9 ratio! So I'll wait. Samsung S9 and S9+ hat the setting 16:9 - The screen is 18:9 itself, but Samsung provides the nice 16:9 resolution it their camera settings...

I want 16:9 settings - If Huawei doesn't add the possibility I might buy Samsung instead!
Jase wrote:


Tyralyon wrote:

Hugely disappointed by this. Bought a Mate 20 Pro, the most expensive phone I've ever bought, by far, and it can't take photos in 16:9 format? One of the main reasons I went for this phone was the amazing camera. I can understand 4:3 if you're printing the photos, but who does that anymore? Everyone watches their photos on 16:9 screens nowadays.

I kinda disagree,18:9 is fast becoming the normal screen ratio for phones and as most people view pictures on there phones it seems logical to have pictures in this ratio (which we do) and not 16:9. However I'm not saying I wouldn't also like the 16:9 option for when viewed elsewhere as there's definitely still a huge number of 16:9 screens in the market, like all most all TVs for example.

Regards Jase


The defacto standard for almost all other screens is 16:9 - Just making it an option in the camera settings wouldn't hurt anyone. Actually it would me buy a Mate 20 Pro. But for now I wait...
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Jon Petersen wrote:

I want to buy the Mate 20 Pro because of the nice camera. But I want 16:9 ratio! So I'll wait. Samsung S9 and S9+ hat the setting 16:9 - The screen is 18:9 itself, but Samsung provides the nice 16:9 resolution it their camera settings...

I want 16:9 settings - If Huawei doesn't add the possibility I might buy Samsung instead!


Hey I'm with you , I'd like it as well but there's lots of other reasons to love the camera on the mate 20 pro and choose it over the Samsung. Night mode , wide angle lens, super close macro shots for example, no matter what you can never add these with software on the Samsung but 16:9 could potentially be added to the Huawei so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Regards Jase
Jase wrote:


Jon Petersen wrote:

I want to buy the Mate 20 Pro because of the nice camera. But I want 16:9 ratio! So I'll wait. Samsung S9 and S9+ hat the setting 16:9 - The screen is 18:9 itself, but Samsung provides the nice 16:9 resolution it their camera settings...

I want 16:9 settings - If Huawei doesn't add the possibility I might buy Samsung instead!

Hey I'm with you , I'd like it as well but there's lots of other reasons to love the camera on the mate 20 pro and choose it over the Samsung. Night mode , wide angle lens, super close macro shots for example, no matter what you can never add these with software on the Samsung but 16:9 could potentially be added to the Huawei so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Regards Jase



Hi Jase.

You're absolutely right when you compare the quality between Mate 20 Pro and S9+. What I really look forward to is Samsung S10 that releases 20. february. I expect that the 16:9 ratio still is there AND an improved quality too. BUT I really, really want Huawei to improve with 16:9 settings. I't so very easy, and a really reasonable improvement...

Kind regards
Jon
Userlevel 4
bjorsim wrote:

I wanted to start this conversation to see if there are others like me, who miss this ability. Technically it's just a firmware update away and if enough of us voice a desire for this, Huawei might listen.

For me 16:9 aspect ratio is very important because it's the most practical when viewed on a normal TV or PC screen. For some purists or professionals 4:3 might be preferred, but the inclusion of 16:9 won't get in the way of that, but for everyday use with normal everyday people (which is the vast majority) 16:9 is more practical (even if it means not being able to use the full resolution of the sensor).

It will allow you to use your photos as fullscreen wallpapers without having to crop them and you'd be able to enjoy watching pictures without wasting valuable screen estate.

Please like this post if you agree and comment. Invite others to take part in the discussion :)



I believe Open Camera on Google Play has that option, and it seems to produce slightly better quality than Huawei's camera application, but then you lose some of the functionality.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I would also like this functionality.

Reply

    Cookie policy

    By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

    Accept cookies Cookie settings