Question

WiFi calling dropping on EE

• 5 January 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, been a lifelong Samsung Galaxy user and I have just switched over to Huawei Mate 20 Pro. I'm on EE network and mobile signal is very limited where I live. All other network providers are the same, I'm just on the wrong side of hill, behind the mast.

Anyway, the WiFi calling function on the Samsung, uses only the WiFi to make calls. Regardless of signal strength.

Huawei, however, appears to use both EE network AND WiFi network. It switches between both networks during a call, depending on which is strongest. My dilemma is that the phone will disconnect my call as my mobile network isn't strong enough for calls. Why this happens I don't know, as my WiFi signal around my home is strong in every room. But the icon in top left corner always shows the mobile signal and operator when a call is disconnected, instead of showing WiFi calls. So it's obviously switching.

I cannot find any option to disable the network usage when WiFi calling activated.

Is there an update due where it will give users the option?

If not, the phone will have to go back as I have 12 days left to return the handset.

Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I don't think there is a specific setting but you can always just switch off mobile data from the top menu while in the house, which is easy enough I guess. Also it might be better to switch off WiFi+ which is under the WiFi settings, this automatically switches between WiFi and mobile data but may be giving you issues if it's switching back and forward between the two while your at home.

Regards Jase
Userlevel 1
Hi Jase,

Even with mobile data off, the phone can still make calls on the normal EE network.

Guess I'll have to send the phone back. As its too unreliable.

Unless Huawei are on with sorting the feature out within an update. But I am time limited, and don't fancy having issues for 2 years.

Regards,

Dan
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi Jase,

Even with mobile data off, the phone can still make calls on the normal EE network.

Unless Huawei are on with sorting the feature out within an update. But I am time limited, and don't fancy having issues for 2 years.

Regards,

Dan

Did you try switching off WiFi+ ?
Userlevel 1

Hi Jase,

Regards,

Dan
Did you try switching off WiFi+ ?

Wifi+?

Where is that setting please?

Dan.
Userlevel 1
Found it in my settings, and it's already off.

Seems that refers to using WiFi data and network data, as opposed to calls.

Thanks anyway, Jase.

Cheers

Dan
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Found it in my settings, and it's already off.

Seems that refers to using WiFi data and network data, as opposed to calls.

Thanks anyway, Jase.

Cheers

Dan

No worries, Thought it might be worth a try
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
For what it's worth I don't have any issues with the WiFi calling and my house doesn't have the best mobile signal either so I'm using it pretty frequently. Sorry I couldn't help😢
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

In such a situation the best thing to do would be a network setting reset. To do this in the settings just search for it via the search bar > confirm it> restart the phone and test the signals afterwards.
If the issues still persist please contact your network provider and have them test the sim or replace it.

Hope you find this helpful,
Best wishes,
Max