Answered

Has anyone installed apps onto sd card on mediapad t5

I have installed an sd card but there is no way of installing or moving apps to it. Is it possible?
If not then the pad is nearly next to useless as only got 2 gig free and only installed 4 extra apps.
icon

Best answer by Max 5 February 2019, 17:27

Hi @AndrewHill,

The reason why an microSD card cannot be used as a main internal storage and for storing third party applications is due to the limitation and risks of SD cards in general.

The phones are optimized and encrypted to ensure a fast and user friendly experience and the writing speed of an SD card plus the risk of data loss due to it becoming either demagnetized or corrupted, factors that have been taken into account when designing any model phone from the Huawei family , made it as such that we do not recommend except UHS-I level, Class 10 level and FAT32 (exFAT) and NTFS formats that even so compared to the internal ROM, the SD cards seem to be slow in comparison.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀
Max

View original

13 replies

I purchased the same tablet today and am shocked that the 128gb SD card I bought for it is useless. 16gb of internal storage is pathetic - it's already been totally used up by one game, Spotify, Facebook and Twitter. If there's no way to allow apps to be stored on the SD card, the whole thing's going back and I'll make sure everyone knows what a useless device it is. I'm really disappointed and would love to hear the excuse they have for this ridiculous policy.
Yes it's useless. I bought memory card and didn't figure you couldn't put apps on it until I installed it.
If its not possible Huawei should state this on the box as it must be the only supplier that doesn't allow it.
I have put the question to them but heard nothing back yet.
Thanks for replying, Pete 🙂
I've just removed my SD card, done a factory reset on the tablet, and am packing it up to send back. What an absolutely useless feature to deliberately put on an otherwise very good tablet. I dare say I'm not the only customer they've lost because of this stupid weakness. I think it's dishonest of them to not make this clear - had I known I'd have not even bothered ordering it. Looks like I'll be getting another iPad after all...
Wish I could, but I have had it 2 weeks and got it on 02 contract. When it wants to update system if there isn't enough room I will take it back to the shop for them to sort.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi all,

There is a similar thread about this issue with a MediaPad T3. Max from support shared some insights in that topic.
I need to transfer apps to my SD card on my Huawei mediapad t5
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @JWatts,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read the comments and check out this similar thread about the same issue on a MediaPad T3.
Thanks Amy i followed your earlier post to there but still no luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi JWatts,

I asked support team to assist you in this thread. 🙂
Amy - as I'm sure you as an employee of Huawei fully know, there *is* no assistance available on this subject, because Huawei has deliberately taken steps to prevent storage of apps on the SD card even though the Android OS allows it and nearly every other major manufacturer makes use of this Android feature.
So your only honest answer to '"How do I store apps on my SD card?" is "YOU DON'T". Huawei took an Android feature and deliberately disabled it, thereby rendering their devices next-to-useless.

The question we ask shouldn't be "How do I store apps and app data on the SD card in my Huawei device?", the question should be "WHY HAVE YOU DELIBERATELY MADE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO STORE APPS AND APP DATA ON THE SD CARD IN OUR HUAWEI DEVICES?" Is it because the stuff stored in the internal memory is easier for you to remotely access, harvest and hand to your political overlords? Or is it for a less devious reason? All you need do is explain your reasons. And don't give us that "SD cards aren't secure" rubbish, because it's always been simple to format an SD card to encrypt its data (exactly the same as internal storage does) before storing it. Simple, that is, unless the device manufacturer has unilaterally disabled this function across all of their devices. I look forward to your response.

Or maybe Huawei saw Apple users replacing otherwise perfectly good devices on a regular basis just so they can get more storage, and thought "ooh - we'll have some of that". For a company so closely tied to the world's largest and most successful Communist government, that's a pretty crappy capitalist trick.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi @AndrewHill,

The reason why an microSD card cannot be used as a main internal storage and for storing third party applications is due to the limitation and risks of SD cards in general.

The phones are optimized and encrypted to ensure a fast and user friendly experience and the writing speed of an SD card plus the risk of data loss due to it becoming either demagnetized or corrupted, factors that have been taken into account when designing any model phone from the Huawei family , made it as such that we do not recommend except UHS-I level, Class 10 level and FAT32 (exFAT) and NTFS formats that even so compared to the internal ROM, the SD cards seem to be slow in comparison.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀
Max
And you don't trust users to make sensible decisions with their own data? The apps and data that you've decided can't be stored on the SD card aren't even sensitive data! The data I'd be worried about losing is stuff that I'm still allowed to store on the SD card such as documents, videos and photos.
I appreciate you have to tell us what you're told to tell us, but can you remind your superiors that we're not idiots and we know when we're being taken for mugs. I've nothing against you - you have to earn a living - but let your bosses know we're not as stupid as they seem to think we are. We'd rather hear the disappointing truth than be taken for idiots. The question is - is Hauwei capable of admitting that truth?
Hi Max,
Thanks for replying - I understand what you're saying but I really do think that decision should be left to the consumer. By taking that option away from us, you're giving the impression of trying to copy Apple's attitude of pretending they know what everyone wants. Apple gets away with it because, well, they're Apple. Huawei, for all their innovation and great value hardware, isn't Apple. You don't have the status and 'cool' reputation to fall back on when you rub people up the wrong way. At least, not yet. But pulling stunts like this is going to make that reputation less likely, not more likely 🙂
Anyhoo - thanks again for getting back to me.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings