Answered

Huawei GT calories

Userlevel 1
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 5 replies
Hi,
huawei watch GT calculates calories even those from heartbeat under stress or only from steps?
Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MBDeaks 26 December 2018, 12:41

Hi @Dario the watch calculates from steps and activity only. I have mentioned this many time that this information is of no use from a fitness perspective. Users need to know how many total calories they burn per day, therefore basal metabolic rate needs to be taken into account. I really hope that Huawei can implement this at some point. The rest of the fitness trackers on the market do this.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Dario the watch calculates from steps and activity only. I have mentioned this many time that this information is of no use from a fitness perspective. Users need to know how many total calories they burn per day, therefore basal metabolic rate needs to be taken into account. I really hope that Huawei can implement this at some point. The rest of the fitness trackers on the market do this.
Userlevel 1
Thank you 🙂
Could someone tell me how accurate the calories burned are on the watch gt? Are they based solely on activity minutes or general calories burned throughout the day? Also are they based on the weight given on the Huawei health app? It's just that I switched from an Apple watch, and the calories burned according to the watch gt seem to be much higher for not doing any intensive exercise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @Jasonrsloan,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read @MBDeaks's answer above and let us know if you have any other questions. 🙂
For some reason the huawei health app on my phone says I've burned a different amount of calories than my watch (often higher than the watch, as well as a higher step count). Basically I want to know how the watch gt calculates calories burned. Is it based on the weight/height/age that you enter in the Huawei health app? Like I mentioned in my initial question, my watch gt seems to have me burning a lot more calories than my Apple watch did, even when not doing any intensive activity.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I think Watch GT uses HR to calculate calories burned. Unfortunately it doesn't use metabolic rate, even though FirstBeat (the tech that the GT uses) claim that it should. In general the Watch GT calculates calories accurately when tracking a particular exercise session, but the value it shows on the watch from resting and day to day movement is completely wrong.
Yeah I was thinking that, I'm assuming by completely wrong, you mean far too much? As it seems to show a much higher value for calories burned than my Apple watch did for general day to day movement. Do we know why this is, or if there will be a fix? As like you said firstbeat claim that it should be accurate. I assume it uses the height/weight etc from the health app to calculate calories burned too. I just don't understand why it's so off, and why my phone also has a different total.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Jasonrsloan wrote:

Yeah I was thinking that, I'm assuming by completely wrong, you mean far too much? As it seems to show a much higher value for calories burned than my Apple watch did for general day to day movement. Do we know why this is, or if there will be a fix? As like you said firstbeat claim that it should be accurate. I assume it uses the height/weight etc from the health app to calculate calories burned too. I just don't understand why it's so off, and why my phone also has a different total.

I would say it's too low. I've been up for 5 hours and my Watch is saying that I've burned 11 calories. If using BMR like Garmin, Apple, Fitbit etc, they would say I've burned a few hundred already. To me, this is what's currently letting the GT down (that and no Strava integration).
I feel the opposite. I assumed the watch would only show active calories burned, like on the Apple watch. In the Apple health app you can look at total calories burned estimates which takes into account BMR, effectively showing your tdee. However compared with my Apple watch that I had for 4 years, I'd say my Huawei watch gt shows a much higher number for calories burned for general day to day movement. I've not been to the gym since I got it so I've not selected any workouts, but for me the calorie count seems pretty high in comparison to my Apple watch. I put the correct height/weight/age in the health app, so it's just got me thinking now how accurate it actually is.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings