Answered

Huawei TalkBand 5 doesn't count steps or track sleep



Show first post

105 replies

Userlevel 2
R19KLC wrote:


scowat wrote:


Avaaz Kamora wrote:

Hi everybody, I too was having issues with my talkband and after many pointless messages and calls to 'wahway' I was getting nowhere, so I dug a little deeper into the net and found a solution which has corrected my talkband and now it counts steps and calories, hopefully this method will work for you guys aswell.

First on your phone goto your time and date settings turn off auto mode and change your time zone to Auckland new Zealand then go back into your health app and reset your talkband, its as simple as that. Revert back to your original time zone but maybe keep it off auto. Seems to have worked for me.

What manner of sorcery is this??? It works... what a fantastic resolution... still need to see if the sleep monitor and alarm works now, but steps and heart rate all registering. You are some kind of magician!!! Thanks so much for this resolution

My alarm now works too! Just did a test one! Bloody brilliant! 😁


Sleep monitor works also as I tried it as soon as I figured it out at 4am, was pretty accurate as well, however I didn't enable the tru sleep mode in the app but it did record how long I slept, so I'm assuming that the tru sleep mode will work just as well.
Userlevel 2
This sounds really positive; almost feel guilty - apparently my replacement has been delivered. Or at least something has been delivered to home and that is the only thing I'm aware of that has been ordered.
Userlevel 2
The replacement has turned up; firmware updated, time zone changed, rebooted. Alarm works. Step tracking works. Prior to the time zone change neither was working.

Most excellent!

Good timing too, as my Fitbit was starting to do some weird things.
Can Huawei just send a second one to Avaaz? He deserves it.

My wife laughed on me for 3 days ( she has Apple one which works always )
Mine works too now! How odd.

So I have a question.

I've just made some steps but it didn't pass them over to my phone.?

Also I take it I no longer need to keep my phone in my pocket to track steps?

I really need a step by step guide on this thing!
One thing I will say is step counter doesn't seam that accurate. I just did 87 steps and it counted 105. I then stopped made 4 more and got in bed which it missed
And does, anyone know how to reset health app. I've tryed to reinstall it but all date still there
Yeh made 10 steps and it counted 75!

Also can I deleat previous date from the app.

I've enabled 24hour heart rate but it says the green lights will monitor it but no green lights. Does anyone know how often it checks?

All in all I'm a little frustrated still
I had the same problem they sent replacement still didn't work only fox was the above method of changing time zone then changing back for the first time it tracked my sleep my alarm worked and its counting steps thankyiu
I agree it counts more than you do it's 7.25 am I have just got up walked around my house once and I'm on 324 steps no chance
Deadeye Detailing wrote:

Yeh made 10 steps and it counted 75!

Also can I deleat previous date from the app.

I've enabled 24hour heart rate but it says the green lights will monitor it but no green lights. Does anyone know how often it checks?

All in all I'm a little frustrated still


I changed the time zone but not the time or date on my phone deleted the health app reset my watch set it up as normal and then changed time zone back
Userlevel 2
Jamie201811 wrote:

I agree it counts more than you do it's 7.25 am I have just got up walked around my house once and I'm on 324 steps no chance



Ill be wearing the Huawei and my Fitbit over the weekend, but today I'm just using the talkband - and it is picking up my rowing strokes as steps, which is what I would expect - but the fitbits I've owned have never done that.

So far I'd say it is more accurate, at least in my usage.
Avaaz Kamora wrote:

Hi everybody, I too was having issues with my talkband and after many pointless messages and calls to 'wahway' I was getting nowhere, so I dug a little deeper into the net and found a solution which has corrected my talkband and now it counts steps and calories, hopefully this method will work for you guys aswell.

First on your phone goto your time and date settings turn off auto mode and change your time zone to Auckland new Zealand then go back into your health app and reset your talkband, its as simple as that. Revert back to your original time zone but maybe keep it off auto. Seems to have worked for me.


This has worked for mine
Userlevel 2
lajosnagy17 wrote:

Can Huawei just send a second one to Avaaz? He deserves it.

My wife laughed on me for 3 days ( she has Apple one which works always )


I 2nd this motion 😁
Avaaz Kamora wrote:


lajosnagy17 wrote:

Can Huawei just send a second one to Avaaz? He deserves it.

My wife laughed on me for 3 days ( she has Apple one which works always )

I 2nd this motion 😁


You deffo deserve it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Avaaz Kamora wrote:


lajosnagy17 wrote:

Can Huawei just send a second one to Avaaz? He deserves it.

My wife laughed on me for 3 days ( she has Apple one which works always )

I 2nd this motion 😁



Haha - you do deserve it, the only problem is... I don't have a Talkband 5 to give away.. But please, send me a PM with your address.. 😉 🎁
Anyone having problems with calls now it will make a call but you can't here anything and there's no option on my phone to use it just phone or speaker
Restarted my phone and its working now
Another question does anyone know how to stop my phone from tracking my steps so only the band tracks them I have a different number on my band and phone its bugging me 😂
I'm really not sure how I feel about this thing. I wanted to see really how many steps I actually do in a day. I'm on my feet All day and the band is saying I've only done 5063 steps today.

I do a job where I move about a lot over short distances and I've noticed I can go up to 5 steps before it starts to work. If I stop before it starts to work it doesn't count them.

I was also under the impression it worked out how long you are stood for in the day etc.

All in all other than the heart rate monitor I think it's poor to say the least.

Maybe they will do a firmware update but all in all I'm not impressed at all.

As a comparison my phone that hasn't been in my pocket all of the time actually reads more steps than the B5
Userlevel 2
Deadeye Detailing wrote:

I'm really not sure how I feel about this thing. I wanted to see really how many steps I actually do in a day. I'm on my feet All day and the band is saying I've only done 5063 steps today.

I do a job where I move about a lot over short distances and I've noticed I can go up to 5 steps before it starts to work. If I stop before it starts to work it doesn't count them.

I was also under the impression it worked out how long you are stood for in the day etc.

All in all other than the heart rate monitor I think it's poor to say the least.

Maybe they will do a firmware update but all in all I'm not impressed at all.

As a comparison my phone that hasn't been in my pocket all of the time actually reads more steps than the B5



Step tracking is an interesting exercise in motion tracking, and determining what constitutes a "step".

I've had various fitbits over the years and have found them rather compromised and inaccurate - although my use cases are possibly not that normal. I do a *lot* of indoor rowing, and the fitbits generally picked up no movement at all when I row a half marathon or marathon. Whereas the Huawei (and my old Polar) picked up each rowing stroke as a step, which is quite reasonable.

I also used to notice that the fitbit would pick up indoor cycling movement as steps, which was utterly ridiculous. I tried both the fitbit and huawei last week on a 100k indoor ride - the Huawei picked up 0 steps. The fitbit picked up several thousand - the fitbit was wrong.

And the heart rate monitoring, when in exercise mode, was actually close to correct on the ride too (around 138bpm most of the way, peaking at 169). The fitbit had my heart rate at anything from 80-130 (wrong!).

So maybe not a great device for all, but at least for me it comprehensively beats the fitbits. Plus it uses a standard charging cable, which is one less thing to carry around.
Userlevel 2
Oh, and in addition - a few things that Huawei health does seem to get totally wrong.

Calorie burn in a day and resting heart rate. Irritating, but thankfully I'm no longer at a point where I'm calorie counting, and don't really care quite so much about resting heart rate.
Avaaz Kamora wrote:


R19KLC wrote:


scowat wrote:


Avaaz Kamora wrote:

Hi everybody, I too was having issues with my talkband and after many pointless messages and calls to 'wahway' I was getting nowhere, so I dug a little deeper into the net and found a solution which has corrected my talkband and now it counts steps and calories, hopefully this method will work for you guys aswell.

First on your phone goto your time and date settings turn off auto mode and change your time zone to Auckland new Zealand then go back into your health app and reset your talkband, its as simple as that. Revert back to your original time zone but maybe keep it off auto. Seems to have worked for me.

What manner of sorcery is this??? It works... what a fantastic resolution... still need to see if the sleep monitor and alarm works now, but steps and heart rate all registering. You are some kind of magician!!! Thanks so much for this resolution

My alarm now works too! Just did a test one! Bloody brilliant! 😁

Sleep monitor works also as I tried it as soon as I figured it out at 4am, was pretty accurate as well, however I didn't enable the tru sleep mode in the app but it did record how long I slept, so I'm assuming that the tru sleep mode will work just as well.


Thanks Avaaz, fixed it for me
Just need to test the sleep function tonight and all the reported issues in this thread will be gone.
Avaaz Kamora wrote:

Hi everybody, I too was having issues with my talkband and after many pointless messages and calls to 'wahway' I was getting nowhere, so I dug a little deeper into the net and found a solution which has corrected my talkband and now it counts steps and calories, hopefully this method will work for you guys aswell.

First on your phone goto your time and date settings turn off auto mode and change your time zone to Auckland new Zealand then go back into your health app and reset your talkband, its as simple as that. Revert back to your original time zone but maybe keep it off auto. Seems to have worked for me.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my B5 as everyone else. Avaaz's fix seems to have worked for most, but I've tried and it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

You say that after changing the time I need to " go back into your health app and reset your talkband". I can't see a reset option so did 'restore factory settings'. Is that what you meant?

Reply

    Cookie policy

    By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

    Accept cookies Cookie settings