Answered

Mate 10 pro microphone doesn't work half the time

• 21 February 2019
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 4 replies
Hi,
recently I'm facing this problem that my voice wont reach the other party during phone calls of video calls or even video recording, this is NOT a hardware problem for this 2 reasons:
  • half the times it works fine
  • it doesn't work with Bluetooth headset which has it's own microphone which works with other phones and this phone half the times.
I have tried restarting the phone looking for strange setting I might have tampered accidentally but nothing worked so far. sometimes I feel like it might have something to do with using mobile data and Bluetooth simultaneously or when I activate hotspot but couldn't figure it out yet. anyone with same problem or a solution?
icon

Best answer by Goamist 25 April 2019, 17:20

I have the same problem. As per Reza's suggestion, I found that one workaround works for me (besides restarting the phone, of course): disabling Google Assistant in the settings (in particular, the setting that allows Google Assistant to listen for voice even when the screen is off). Before doing this, I ran the HiCare diagnostic for the microphone and no sound was played in the second part of the diagnostic. After disabling Google Assistant, the same test was successful, without having to restart the phone.

I'll update this post if I encounter the issue in the future.
View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I had a similar problem. I didn't really resolve as I was unsure if it was my network provider or not.

Turn off mobile data when making a call, see if that helps.

Also ensure your device is updated to the latest software.
Userlevel 1
It is updated to the latest as released, and it is ridiculous to turn off data each time I want to speak, hell half the time I'm using data to speak
Userlevel 4
Badge
I occasionally have something similar in that 'ok Google' does not work unless I restart my phone. Even if I long hold the home key, it doesn't register any sound being picked up.
Might be linked, we'll probably never know 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Sorry to hear about the situation you are facing, indeed it seems rather troublesome.

Would it be possible to run a diagnostics from HiCare in regards to the microphone and post the results screenshots here?

You can find this by going to HiCare > Smart Diagnosis > Manual > Microphone.

Looking forward to your replies!

Have a lovely day,
Max
Hello,

I'm having the same problem for the past 2-3 weeks. I've never had this issue before (I've been using it for a few months now).
I'm already at Android Pie.

I'm unable to run Hicare, as it won't open showing "not available for your country/region" (I bought the device in Europe and I currently live in Brazil).

Did you find any solution?

Thanks!
Userlevel 1
sorry MAX I must've missed the email on new reply, so I just saw your comment, I did that at the time & no problem came up. as I said since it works half the time & same problem occurs with external headsets I'm pretty sure it's software related.
I ended up disabling all my voice command apps including google & huawei voice commands, afterwards it happened much less. but still happens sometimes including a video I was recording of my son's first words which has no voice recorded 😑 my wife was so furious that she banned me from buying any Huawei product ever again & to be honest I might seriously consider it too, just a search & you'll notice same problem has happened to lots of P20 users as well
Userlevel 1
Hello,

I'm having the same problem for the past 2-3 weeks. I've never had this issue before (I've been using it for a few months now).
I'm already at Android Pie.

I'm unable to run Hicare, as it won't open showing "not available for your country/region" (I bought the device in Europe and I currently live in Brazil).

Did you find any solution?

Thanks!

yeah lots of phones has location based services but I think if you get the global version you'll have less problem. anyway just try to forget voice commands & voice typing , etc. it'll solve it by 80% but I have not yet find a solution. and considering I paid 1000$ for the phone🤐
Lots of people have same issue. Only restart helps. It must be some firmware problem. Please find solution....
Hello, I am exactely the same problem as many customer. This problem is active from many month without any action from Huawei..!! This is a software proble sure.! This absolutly not normal and not professional from Huawei to not solve this proble.! This is my third Huawei phone BUT THE LAST ONE.
We are customers not pigeon customer.
Hello everyone! I'm using a Mate 10 Pro with the latest firmware installed and I'm also having this problem. Neither my Bluetooth headset or the microphone from the phone itself is working until I restart it. After that, the same problem occurs a few days after and I have to repeat the whole process.
This problem is really annoying and occurs since I bought this phone over a year ago!
I have the same problem. As per Reza's suggestion, I found that one workaround works for me (besides restarting the phone, of course): disabling Google Assistant in the settings (in particular, the setting that allows Google Assistant to listen for voice even when the screen is off). Before doing this, I ran the HiCare diagnostic for the microphone and no sound was played in the second part of the diagnostic. After disabling Google Assistant, the same test was successful, without having to restart the phone.

I'll update this post if I encounter the issue in the future.
I had this problem for a week until I came here. It seems disabling Google voice typing and enabling it back gets the microphone to work again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

We appreciate the customer's input and are very thankful that you took the time to report this to us in regards to the Google Assistance voice and the device microphone.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will look into this further!

Best of wishes,
Max
Hi!
I have the salle issue with the same phone, and I always have to restart it when the problem occur (at least each week).
Before being beautiful and smart, a phone as to phone correctly, and it's not the case with this one. So, i'm now sure that if Huawei can not solve this problem, this phone will be my last Huawei device.
Hi
Having same issue. Microphone not working just happened after 5 months of purchase from new. Didn't happen after any update or any new app installation, but it happens daily now where it before all was brilliant , like the rest of the phone. Coming from a Galaxy note 8,this is far superior in every way, except now this microphone problem!
Don't think it's a hardware problem as it has a mind of its own. I know it's not working when the Google voice assist is also down. I like answering a call by voice command " answer call", so when this doesn't work, I know the microphone is down, so no point in answering call as the other party won't hear you. Need to do a restart and all is back to normal, for a while.
I performed the Huawei care mic diagnostic and only sometimes works. I did notice, how ever, when you carry out the recording test, it's suppose to play back automatically what you recorded but it only plays back after you press the mic again.
Hope Huawei sort this out as there are more than a few of us with this problem and I dont think sending phone back for repair will solve it. Seems like a firmware use but then again why didn't this happen immediately after any update (I am on emui 9.0 and android 9)
Not going to reset my phone yet but would like to know from anyone who has, if it cured the problem.
All I can say, no phone is perfect and Galaxy note 8 also had issues and I hope Huawei can make the mate 10 pro perfect!
UPDATE 1
After 3 days of having the Google voice typing disabled, mic has been good so far.. Still have the Google assistant ("Ok" Google) enabled.
Update 2
7 days on and no issues with microphone after disabling the Google voice typing feature. Good thing is, I still have the "Ok goggle" feature working and this is how I been testing if mic is still functioning. Maybe soon we will saying "Ok Huawei" instead 😁
Hi
I had the same issue here. But it didn't work just to turn off the microphone for Google Assistant so I turned it off for all Google apps. Now the micro is working. Hopefully it lasts 😅
Hi
That's odd how you needed to turn off all Google apps!Do you have a Mate 10 pro also?
Mine is still good.
Guess by turning off all Google ,you are preparing yourself for the future 😁😁
Personally ,I hate being Google dependable on android ,so I hope huawei release their own OS.
Hi

Tried disabling Google Assistant, removed all permission for Microphone for Google related apps, removed PrivateSpace and also disabled Voice typing. All not working. Huawei should have had the fix for this by now. It's been months since this problem started appearing.
Hi

Exact same problem here.
I find that my calls are ok, but all other apps not working, like:
  1. Whatsapp (sending) voice notes
  2. Shazam (music id tagger)
  3. "OK Google" assistant
I find that restarting the phone only works sometimes, not always. Also experienced the same problem with connecting Bluetooth headphones, same as Reza.

This has to be a Software problem. e.g. my screen mirroring use to work fine, then after previous to last update, it did not work until the recent update.

Will try and disable google voice typing feature as suggested and see....
Hi Austin67
Any luck after disabling google voice typing?
Thats all I did on mine and been nearly a month and no issues!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Austin67,

Did you see @Powers1's suggestion? Could you let us know if it helped? 🙂
I have the same issue here as well, I tried a number of solutions, so far restarting the phone has been the only way

I thought its the network at first, then today on Skype, so its the phone mic not responding, restarted the phone and it works

the Test in Hi Care fails some time

appreciate the support from Huawei on this

Thanks
Abed
Just to my 2 cents on all this. Here we go.

Some users are blaming Huawei for this microphone problem and yet it has been established that it's not a hardware problem, since restarting the phone will enable the microphone.
Obviously, it's a software issue! Possibly a downloaded App that starts running and disables the microphone!
As I mentioned previously,over month ago my microphone also stopped working but by restarting phone, I got it working again but annoyingly it would turn off again before the end of the day.
All I did to get working again (it's been over a month now), was disable Google voice typing.(I use the on-board Swiftkey) I also checked all Apps that had access to microphone and disabled access to any I thought were unnecessary. No problems since then.
So, if we all have the same phone,with the same android, emui updates, then if by turning Google voice typing off is not working for you, then my 2 cents is to check any downloaded Apps that have access to microphone! In fact it's absurd that a lot of Apps we download from play store request Microphone access on installation when there's no logical reason to.