Answered

Netflix in HD - Mate 10 Pro

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi gang.

I was just wondering if anyone else has any issues with getting netflix to play in HD on their phone.

It's not been working since I got the phone and has had a factory reset to try and fix it without success.
It does play HD if I download an unofficial modded version... but I'd rather not for security reasons.

Any advice?
icon

Best answer by chillphone 31 October 2018, 21:24

Hello,

Unfortuanlty this is a Netflix issue and their supported devices for HD.
View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Ive had a quick look and it appears Netflix don't support HD playback on the Mate 10 Pro, at least not at the moment.
Userlevel 4
Badge
It does on the BLA-A09 which is the exact same phone but with less ram and storage.
Do you have any idea as to how we get this added to the list phones supported by netflix?
Userlevel 4
Badge
I have just had a chat with Netflix and they said,

Thanks for waiting. Our back end experts confirmed that there is a setting that needs to be activated to enable the HDR feature on your phone and you need to contact Huawei for assistance.

If everything checks out, you may also want to consult with the manufacturer if the setting for HDR is causing the video to have poor quality.

Any idea what setting they are on about?? The only setting I can see that it might be is the Screen resolution (Which is always at FHD+ of course)
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Dave!

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

In response to your question, the HD playback on Netflix is related to the availability of the DRM LiveWine L1 (HD video support in DRM platforms as Netflix). As a representative of the manufacturer, I can inform you that all devices running on EMUI 8.0 or higher (Mate 10 Pro included) are scheduled to receive it at some point via a system update.

Please note that, due to Netflix's video playback policy, it does not support HD video playback if it is not the preinstalled version on your device. Do not uninstall the Netflix app preinstalled on your device. If you have uninstalled the Netflix app preinstalled in your device, back up important data and restore your device to its factory settings, and try again. Also, of course, make sure that you are in an area with good Internet coverage.

In Netflix, you should also change the following settings for enabling HD streaming quality and HD video download.

- For downloaded videos: Netflix app > Menu > App Settings > Quality of the download > High
- For Streaming: Netflix app > menu > Account Settings > Swipe down to “My Profile” and enter Streaming Settings > Set it as High

Hope this proves useful and brings more light to your case :D

Max
Userlevel 4
Badge
Ok. two things

Why on earth does this phone not have DRM LiveWine L1 already???

and

This bit,
"due to Netflix's video playback policy, it does not support HD video playback if it is not the preinstalled version on your device. "
Is a lie. On any other device I can install it from the play store and it will play in HD.

Please don't mark your answer as 'the answer' it just added more questions.😂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Lifelust,

Excusez moi! I marked it as the answer. And just unmarked it.

I asked Max to check this topic again. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
Thanks Amy 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@Lifelust!

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please send me a private message with a screenshot of the About phone menu? So that we can see your current phone's IMEI and build number?

Looking forward to your reply!

Max
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Max I sent you a private message. I cannot send attachments in private messages.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Max please respond.
@Amy can you help if max doesn't want to?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Dave,

Sorry to keep you waiting! I asked Max to check asap.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@Amy it was this one.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I'll check my mate 10 pro tonight, but sure it lists HD/HDR now on the app, but neither the Mate 10 Pro or the P20 Pro actually play HDR formats (ie no change in colour brightness)
Hi all,
So I just bought a European version of the Huawei Mate 10 pro version BLA-L29 (dual sim + 128GB) and it's updated to latest firmware 8.0.0.150(C432). I installed Netflix (it was not preinstalled) and played a video that is usually in HD and there are no HD tag on the video. Has anyone any information around this version.
Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hello,

Unfortuanlty this is a Netflix issue and their supported devices for HD.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@chillphone Bang on. I have been in contact with Netflix livechat and they have pretty much told me the same thing.
'That model number is not on their supported list, so no, it won't work. We'll put your comments to the development team though.'
Is there anything Huawei can do to push netflix to add one of their flagship devices to this list? @Max?
Userlevel 5
Badge
I raised this with Netflix/Huawei earlier this year as the Mate 10 Pro is marked as being compatible for HDR on Netflix supported devices, so you would expect same for HD side.
Whenever I have had a contact with Netflix, I got evasive answers for it and it seems like huawei support agents are doing the same.Is'nt it just a tiny software problem that could easily be taken care of ? It is so irritating to watch in sd in Netflix.
I am so frustrated that Huawei failed to work with Netflix to bring HD and HDR to my Mate 10 Pro BLA-29 model. 18 months after the release and there is still no HD or HDR in Netflix!
I am so frustrated that Huawei failed to enable HD and HDR in Netflix on my Mate 10 Pro BLA-29 model. Does anyone know if Huawei is working with Netflix at all to solve this issue?
Userlevel 4
Badge
https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/how-to/watch-netflix-hd-ultra-hd-poco-f1-t3840727

There's a modded apk available that forces hd.
Working ok for me. Go for the hd, not ultra hd as this has some sound issues apparently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello all 🙂,

Thank you for all the details provided on the matter.
Each observation and piece o information on this is precious feedback for our development team as they investigate on this.

As Netflix is a third party app, this process is not only on our side as they will have to check on this as well.
Regards to any application that is not from the Play Store or App Gallery, I suggest to be extremely careful as they are not verified and might harm the device. Also we won't be able to verify or to provide any advises or troubleshooting for those.

If we have any news on this we will let you know and do not forget to look for updates both on the device and the Netflix app as well.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Badge
This is the problem though. If the app didn't work we're more likely to find less legit means 😁