Selfie Camera

• 13 August 2018
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi

Im new on here so please be gentle 🙂

I have just bought a P20 pro, the selfie camera lacks any detail and its over exposed. Does anyone else have this issue?

My software version is 8.1.0.131

Thanks

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Do you perhaps have a sample photo you can upload to show us? It doesn't have to be a selfie of you 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge
Sure do, I have a few to choose from, the first is from the camera app open camera, the second is from stock camera no beauty modes or portrait mode. The third is the original size of the open camera picture. As you can see the original open camera selfie is 11mb and the p20 pro one is 3mb..

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Theres quite a difference between those photos. The stock camera app on the P20 Pro has a beauty mode that cannot yet be disabled when shooting using the front camera, even when the filter is turned all the way down. I just ran the same test as you using the same apps and I had the same result so the good news I guess is that your phone isn't faulty, the 'issue' is the overly aggressive software which is adding filters to photos taken with the front camera (and seemingly judging by the third photo you posted it's also compressing these images).

This can be rectified with software updates - and we have seen improvements to the camera in recent releases, but for now all I can suggest is to keep on using a third-party app if you are unhappy with the stock camera.
Userlevel 5
Badge
It just seems like the 24mp front camera is a gimmick.. they have missed a great opportunity here I think.

Was this an issue on the Mate 10 & the P10 plus? This is the first Huawei phone you see. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

Thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Its not a gimmick, just unfortunate that currently the software isn't getting the best out of the camera. The hardware is fine as you can see when you use the other app.

Hopefully there is a software update soon which improves it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey @Crawshaw09,

I reported this to the software team. They told me that at the moment there are no plans to change it yet. We will include any updates on this topic in this thread.

Sorry that we can't fixt this for you right away!
Userlevel 5
Badge
This is disappointing to hear, there needs to be an option to turn beauty mode off all together. As you can see from my photos its lowering the image file massively.

There is no sharpness at all in any selfie.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@Amy i have just seen online that the FFC has been fixed on update .152. Im currently on .131, please can you let me know if this is true?
Also what is update .152 & when will it come to the uk ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Crawshaw09!

We are glad that you are using our device.

In response to your query, we need you to provide us with the IMEI number(Settings > System > About the phone) and the build number(Settings > System > About the phone) of the device, to forward this information to the proper department, so that they can take it into account for future updates and development.

We also inform you that the main feature of the update 152 is the update of the Turbo acceleration technology GPU.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.😁

Julian
Userlevel 5
Badge
How do I do this on private message?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey @Crawshaw09

When you click on Julians name, you go to his profile. You can send him a private message there.

Userlevel 4
Yes, please disable the beauty-filter when its set to 0 as its intending to be disabled at zero.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Yes, please disable the beauty-filter when its set to 0 as its intending to be disabled at zero.

Yeah even at 0 it's still very active. Taking a selfie in low light is aslo a no go as the front flash only works when it's very dark.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Any news on this? its been a month now, The FFC is unusable in low light at the moment.
One more waiting for the update to disable beauty mode wen 0 is selected, usualy zero means complety off but not to huawei.....
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Crawshaw09!

As we also inform you in the private message, we have forwarded the suggestion to the proper department so that they take it into account for future updates and development.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.😁

Julian
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi Julian

Ive not had a single update since July like many others, so not holding out too much hope for a camera fix.
Been onto chat who told me my phone has 3 updates pending and has had since July. They said there is nothing they can do.
The delay in software development is a concern. Especially with the new 4 camera model being released. I wish I had held our for it.
Hi, I just got he new mate20 pro, and this is probably the worst feature i have ever seen on a camera. The selfies are ridiculous. If this doesnt change soon, i'm definitely going to sell my phone and unfortunately go back to iphones.
Userlevel 1
Wow, a phone that does cannot disable beauty mode or AI on selfies? Wow Huawei, whats happening to your tech team. It seems you should hire simple people who can think of that, not to much techies. In mu other post, my Nova 3i, witj feature of Mirror Share but per advise here, the unit does not support it. So why include it in the first place, just saying... Now i almost get a P20 pro, and reading this sort of issue... Wow 😱
Userlevel 4
Yes,

please fix this "0 is not off" bug and let the user decide when to use the front-flash.
i have this problem too ... huawei must work on hdr as google specially for front camera ......front camera dynamic range is too bad ........ i keep my pixel 2xl just for selfie !! ... the best flagship p20 pro have dynamic range front facing camera and 4k stabilization for capturing video and huawei do nothing after 2mounths !!!!! ..i think huawei want us to buy mate20 pro instead update the p20 pro !!!.......instead working for increase pixel like 40 , 80 , 100 megapixels for newer device just work on software ! google do best think with rear 12 and 8 megapixel for front facing ! ..,
Hi, I'm also new here.

I got the p20 for the cameras and I'm quite disappointed with the front camera, I hope the software team fix this on further updates because I'm pretty sure it's just a software issue, I've been trying differents camera apps and the results are so much better than the huawei stock camera, I think the worst is the overexposure and dynamic range, here are some examples with the stock camera and another camera app, the processing is not the same but the result it's so much better.

Userlevel 3
Hi, I'm also new here.

I got the p20 for the cameras and I'm quite disappointed with the front camera, I hope the software team fix this on further updates because I'm pretty sure it's just a software issue, I've been trying differents camera apps and the results are so much better than the huawei stock camera, I think the worst is the overexposure and dynamic range, here are some examples with the stock camera and another camera app, the processing is not the same but the result it's so much better.

Could you tell me what the other camera app is that your using
Hi, I want to report the same issues.. I have a P20 pro and in general, the quality of the photos captured with the front camera is very poor.. This is not acceptable for a high hand smartphone for which Huawei based the marketing campaign on the camera performances. This needs to be fixed.