Selfie Camera

• 13 August 2018
  • 51 replies

Show first post

51 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
I now have a mate 20 pro, same selfie camera but it uses hdr the results are miles apart.

Sure a software update would fix this issue just add the hdr feature
I need to apologise as I just realized that I was using the selfie camsra with the "artistic bokeh" on.. It was blurring the background as in the aperture mode.. with beauty at 0 and artistic bokeh off the results are much better.. Sorry
i have mate 20 pro and when i take a selfie on the camera app it comes blurry and not clear as it need to be like i taked on the mirror app for example it is clear and soft and not like the camera app features,beauty mode,etc
I also just bought new mate P20 Pro. It has beautiful camera and functions very well. But selfi is DISASTER. I just cannot take a picture whihc is decent in different light situations. I am very disasspointed after spending about a grand, this is bad engineering - or bad coding. Only way to compel Huawei to listen to customers in Europe and US is to publize it more.

These high end cell phones are bought by US or Eurpoe customers and if Huawei takes months to even respond to correct these challenges then it is not worth to buy product as long term support is missing.
Hello all,
last week I bought my first Huawei device, the P20 Pro and I was really looking forward to use it. On first glance, it was an amazing purchase especially after comparing it to my old S6.. BUT, i already regretted it after I used the selfie camera. The background is always blurry. Why would I want to take a selfie photo if the background is barely visible? I read this thread and from what I saw, this is a general behaviour of the device. Is there any possibility to fix it or I should just return my device now that I am able to?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Thank you for taking your time to report on the situation and providing us with further information.

We have taken your feedback, opinions and comments into account and escalated the provided information further to the appropriate departments.

Should we have any news, we will keep you updated on the situation!

Best wishes,
Max
Hi all! Recently i started noticing the flaws in my Huawei P20 Front Camera as i started using it for more than a month now. When the light is behind me, the selfie became blurred, which was very different as compared to if there is light in front of me. Suddenly the images became non-HD like. Recently i also tried to capture fireworks in my background as i took selfies. The whole screen will turn White before it captured the pictures. And the pictures turned out to be blurred! I did not manage to capture any clear pictures with my front camera in the end. Im starting to doubt the quality of the camera of P20 though the back camera quality remains good. When there are lights in the ceiling, there are so much reflection in the screen and from the light (like a streak of light from the lamps). Helppp 😢 Is the camera meant to be this way or it is spoiled? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey @Polba123,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read the comments above. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi, @Polba123
According to your description, this phenomenon is more normal. Huawei's self-timer mode has a face recognition function, which ensures that the face is normally exposed in any scene, that is, the face brightness is normal when self-timer is taken. In the case of backlighting, in order to enhance the brightness of the face, the background brightness is increased and overexposure is formed.

When taking a selfie, it is recommended that you avoid backlighting as much as possible. If the background is too bright, it will lead to overexposure and the background will be completely white.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi all

Ive just realized i created this post over 5 month's ago and still no fix has happened. I've just noticed max has said he will pass this over to the updates team. The same thing was said when i created this topic. It's been 6mths next week since i raised the problem.

So i wouldn't hold out for a fix unfortunately.

Might be time to look elsewhere when my contract ends as the support and software updates don't make me feel confident.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hello all.

I'm adding a new issue to the mix. I've noticed that the front camera has got some strange zooming issues on my mate 10 pro.
Here's my face on video mode beauty set to 0

Here's my face beauty set to > 0

And here's my face on photo mode

Why are they all zoomed in at different amounts?
I think this is why Snapchat and messenger look so 'zoomed in'
@Amy @Max any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Thank you for taking your time to report on the situation and providing us with further information.

Could you kindly PM me in private with the following of the device:
  • Serial Number
  • Build Number
The information above is needed to escalate this further to our development team.

Should we have any news, we will keep you updated on the situation!

Best wishes,
Max
I also have the P20 Pro and I must say the blurring of photos really make them bad. Overall the camera isn't bad, its actually quite good, but the effect that gets "added" to photos afterwards just ruins them.

Huawei should really get their act together and fix this, as it seems nobody likes this and overall it really lowers the worth of the phone.
Hi, I also have a problem and I think this beauty filter may be the reason, when I video call my friends my face gets all blurry, only my face. When light hits my face it's blurry otherwise it's not. It's been like this since I bought the phone. I couldn't find answers anywhere. It's been 3 years (I use honor 7), I've tried everything I could think of but it's still the same. Does this happen to any of you ?
Userlevel 5
Badge
@RT83_ita a here you go, try downloading an app called open camera
When can we expect an update on the Selfie camera? HDR+ etc,

I don't think it should be that hard to port down whatever code is in the p30 pro and adjust it to the p20 pro.
Hi, I have the same problem: photos with selfie stick arn't so sharp as should be..
Have tried already all, nothing. Only (temporary) solution I see now, is not to use the selfie stick
Hi, I have the same problem: photos with selfie stick arn't so sharp as should be..
Have tried already all, nothing. Only (temporary) solution I see now, is not to use the selfie stick

To be fair, they might not be able to fix this, even if they eventually remember that we exist and update the front camera. The issue in this case is that the front camera is fixed focus, not autofocus, meaning that it will only be in focus (or sharp) in a specific range, and anything above that might end up a "defocused" or blurry. That focus range might be a bit small.

To be fair, they might not be able to fix this, even if they eventually remember that we exist and update the front camera. The issue in this case is that the front camera is fixed focus, not autofocus, meaning that it will only be in focus (or sharp) in a specific range, and anything above that might end up a "defocused" or blurry. That focus range might be a bit small.

This autofocus can be added to front camera with some software update or only it needs new lenses?

P.S. stupid problem: phone is expensive, but doesnt include so simple and important solution...

This autofocus can be added to front camera with some software update or only it needs new lenses?

P.S. stupid problem: phone is expensive, but doesn't include so simple and important solution...

Auto-focus is hardware I believe, a lot of expensive phone's have fixed focus, ranging from Apple to Sony etc.
You'd have to specifically look for an auto-focus selfie camera, and that stuff is super rare. However the limitation of focusing shouldn't be that apparent on small resolution (Instagram etc)

However that doesn't mean that the front camera couldn't be fixed, to at-least be visually on par with apple/Samsung on phones etc. Not gonna be 100 percent in focus, but at-least it could have some details, hdr etc. That could easily be done by software.
Hi i only got my Huawei p 20 pro , and i already regret it. Not only front camera is absolutely rubbish, and no where near the 24 mp quality it claims to be, now i have a new problem. When i use the build in camera (not third party app, just the original one) when i try to record it zooms in automatically! Heres some examples, its super annoying. Please help 😞.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @kittycanscratch,

I moved your comment here to avoid double topics. Please read this thread and follow Max's advice and share your details with him in a PM. He will be able to share this with the development team. 🙂
Hi,

I recieved my Huawei-phone last week
and I just noticed that pictures taken
with the front camera becomes blurry.
I take a lot of pictures, so I would
think that the problem just occured.
Everything looks fine just before taking
the picture, but when looking at them
afterwards there is no focus on the face at all.

Thanks for any help!
Hello everyone, new huawei user here.

I have just started using the p20 pro (bought 2nd hand/used) for a few weeks, and so far I'm loving it. I have a few question on the video functionality, though.

I noticed that whenever I switched to video, the image is cropped, compared to the image I got when using it in picture/photo mode. In short, it's not as wide as when I'm taking a picture. It's like I'm using a zoom, although I'm not. Recently I went on a trip, and I was pleased with the landscape wide angle pictures I took, but I can't shoot videos with the same wide field of view.

Later on, I found a funny thing. In video mode, if I choose the beauty effect to anything but 0, the image would be wider (like zoomed out) compared to if the beauty is set to 0. But still not as wide as in picture mode. I have some screenshots to show what I meant:

All 3 pictures were taken from the same distance and position. Picture 1 is in photo mode, picture 2 in video mode with 0 beautify, picture 3 in video mode with 1 (or any value) beautify. Is there any way that I can shoot videos with the same wide angle like when I'm taking a picture? I tried Open Camera app, but the image is still cropped.

Also, is there any way I can turn off the image stabilization feature when I'm shooting a video? I think it's interfering with my gimbal. I know a bit about photography, and from what I know, 2 (or more) separate stabilization systems working together is not a good thing. I should just use one, and turn off the others.

Thank you in advance.
Eyy guys, for real.. How long will it take you to fix this beuity-mode problem. I dont want my face to look ugly Photoshoped everytime i take a picture with the front camera. Got this amazing p20 pro but only thing thag saddens me with the phone is this. And if its not geting fixed by near future i shall change phone because this is serious for me and all of the consumers of this product. Thanks and goodluck!