Answered

My p9 battery dies every day

• 24 August 2018
  • 30 replies

is anyone able to help with why my p9 battery can have 76% and then as soon as i go on my phone it will go to 20% in minutes and then die, it happens every day but was really annoyed yesterday when i was on a day out with my children and was only able to take 5 photo's, thank you
icon

Best answer by Amy 3 September 2018, 11:08

Hi all,

This morning a shared a how-to article: what to do when your battery drains in a few hours.

@Wynstar, did you have contact with Max? Hope we can fix this for you!
View original

30 replies

hu @wynstar that's unfortunate. i wonder if someone can help u out. I asked someone to take a look at your problem.
Thank you, it is really frustrating
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi wynstar!

Sorry to hear about the battery issue with your phone. Please tell me, did the phone receive any system updates recently?

Also, what you can try in this case is doing a battery test. To do that, simply follow the instructions below:

1. Fully charge the phone to 100%
2. Unplug the charger and switch the phone to Airplane mode
3. Leave it like that, without using it, for at least 8 hours. This is something that can be done overnight
4. Once the 8 hours have passed, check the battery level again. If it dropped below 95%, there's an issue with the battery itself

Please return to me via a private message once the test is finished to tell me the result. To send a private message, simply click on my name in the post and in the new page you will have the option "Send message". Looking forward to your reply!

Max
Thank you will try that tonight
Hi @wynstar did it help already?
I tried the above but it haf dropped to 89% over 8 hours unfortunately
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@wynstar

Sorry to hear that the test failed. In that case, it is recommended to have your phone sent to our authorized service center, so it can be inspected and repaired by our engineers.

Please return to me in a private message so I can give you more details. To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion and, in the new page, select "Send message".

Looking forward to your message!

Max
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

This morning a shared a how-to article: what to do when your battery drains in a few hours.

Mine is doing the same thing.... I took it to Ismash phone repair. They replaced the battery but the problem still remains. I think this is a software issue that started after the update... They need to stop producing new phones like p20 to make even more money and focus on keeping loyal customers happy....
Hi all,

That doesn't help at all... So you have software developers that can make a patch... I got a smart phone to use the smart phone features... Not to put it in power save mode all the time... That's a stupid solution...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Jamesmott,

Could you please let us know what exactly you tried to do to sort this issue?
Having the exact same issue - every day by the time I go to lunch at 1pm-ish, the phone will be down to around 60% despite actual screen on time until then being maybe an hour, mostly the phone sits in my pocket unused. Then it goes from 60% to 40% within 10 minutes of browsing, and from 40% to a sudden auto power off within minutes. When I plug the phone in to a charger, then it suddenly shows 40% again.

So basically I need to charge my phone at least twice a day and can't go anywhere without a power bank if I want to have an actual functional phone. "Put it in power saver mode" isn't exactly great advice when the phone itself is borderline unusable because of the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@asinivali

Sorry to hear that the situation. Please do a battery test and the above troubleshooting. Afterwards if the phone still has battery issues please contact us to have your phone sent to our authorized service center, so it can be inspected and repaired by our engineers.

Please return to me in a private message so I can give you more details. To send a private message, simply click on my name in the discussion and, in the new page, select "Send message".

Looking forward to your message!

Max
Hi I have the same issue
Userlevel 5
Badge
Why did you get the phone from? I'd have the phone checked with the supplier and they should be able to check the battery status for you
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Sindo86,

Sorry to hear that you are having the same issues 😞.

Did you read and try the troubleshoot above? Please let us know if this fixed your issues. If it doesn't, please go to a Huawei Service Centre for further assistance.
Thanks
Userlevel 3
My daughter still used the p9 it does drain battery but we've found that reducing the amount of apps in the background does extend the life. Also if you can connect to WiFi that should prolong the battery life as it isn't pulling from data (which often causes a faster drain).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing @MordecaiHoltz!
Hi

I'm having the same problem too. Battery seems to last as it should until around 60-70%, but then goes to around 30-40% within a couple of minutes of screen on time, and then immediately goes straight to showing 0% and shuts down. When I plug the phone in to charge, then it shows around 40-50% again? Extremely frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Paepall,

Did you read the replies above? Max shared a battery test in his reply. Did you try that? If this doesn't work, please let us know!
Hi Paepall,

Did you read the replies above? Max shared a battery test in his reply. Did you try that? If this doesn't work, please let us know!

I haven't had the chance to do the battery test yet as I just found this thread but I'll definitely try to do it overnight. If the test fails, then I assume sending the phone for repair is the only solution?
OK, so doing the battery test and leaving the phone in airplane mode overnight resulted in the battery having 86% charge in the morning. I'm guessing there's no option to solve this other than sending it off to a service centre?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @paepall,

Sorry to hear of the situation of your device, and thank you for providing us with the results of the battery test you have performed.

In this case I would recommend having the device inspected by one of our engineers at the service center for a more hands-on approach.
For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Or if you would like I can also facilitate this for you via PM.

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Hi everyone,
there's one thing people sticking with "your battery must be faulty" don't seem to understand.

Many people, here and across other plattforms, did get their batteries changed but are still facing the same issue.

Just two hours ago my phone had about 70% battery, suddenly froze and had 0% after I immediately restarted the device. After trying to to restart multiple times with same result I was able to turn it back on after 20 minutes of leaving it off but the battery level still showed 1% for more than an hour before. Being back home I've started charging it again and it's slowly increasing now

Clearly it's a software or calibration issue and only in a few cases a failure of the battery itself.

Cheers!