Answered

P8 lite 2017 storage issues

• 22 September 2018
  • 6 replies

I purchased a P8 lite 2017 a few days ago after losing my Samsung Note 4. The handsetquality is great, the UI is good.my biggest issue is my storage capacity. Its 16gb but I have 6.4gb of firmware and 9.4gb of other - I barely have any apps installed and now my storage is at critical. I've inserted a 32gb Micro SD card but the only I save to that is photos at a total of 440mb I'm totally confused I don't know what to do to free up more space - other than deleting all my apps, if I do that what is the point in having a smartphone??? Does any one have any ideas or suggestions? I have included two screen shots that contridict each other in terms of storage.

icon

Best answer by Julian 27 September 2018, 12:40

Hi Rlloyd81!

We are glad that you are using our device.

We recommend that you delete the cache memory of the phone, following the steps below:

1. Turn the device off completely.
2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".

Note: Please make sure to select Wipe cache partition, and not Wipe data/factory reset - the latter will erase all data on the internal storage of the device.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Julian
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Rlloyd81!

We are glad that you are using our device.

We recommend that you delete the cache memory of the phone, following the steps below:

1. Turn the device off completely.
2. Press and hold the volume up + power key at the same time, until you get into the recovery menu.
3. Select "Wipe cache partition" (navigate by using the volume keys and power button to select).
4. Confirm the action by selecting "Wipe cache partition" again.
5. At the end of this process, the recovery menu appears for the second time - select "Reboot system now".

Note: Please make sure to select Wipe cache partition, and not Wipe data/factory reset - the latter will erase all data on the internal storage of the device.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Julian
I've got the same phone - Huawei P8 lite 2017 - and have exactly the same problem of the phone's internal storage being full. I tried the 'Wipe cache partition' process above but, on holding down the volume up + power key at the same time, rather than get into the recovery menu it initiated a software install process that resulted in teh following message: 'Software install failed! Get help from : http://www.emui.com/emotiondownload.php?mod=restore', with the only option available being to reboot the system normally. Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @pambeale,

Thank you for posting the situation you are facing!

In regards to this, please make sure that you are pressing only the Volume Up + Power button and letting go once the logo Huawei (or the network the device is branded on) appears.
Also, make sure that the device is not plugged in to charge as different options will appear when attempting to enter the recovery menu.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
Max
Hi, I have exactly the same problem with lack of storage as mentioned by Rlloyd81 six months ago and then pambeale.
My Huwaei P8 is now 13 months old and I am in a 2 year contract. I took my phone to my EE store where I got it and I observed that the sales assistant followed the instructions in the answer given by Julian above. She managed to free up a little storage by doing this and recommended that I carry out the latest software update when I got home and was using my home WiFi and this may solve the problem. Unfortunately when I tried to install the update, guess what, I received the message that I don’t have enough storage space to do this!
What now?
I've just come across this topic which is identical to my problem, except I have a Huawei mediapad T3 fairly recently bought.

The internal storage states Total:16GB, free:1.35GB. I spent much time trying to work out how this can be when the total firmware etc doesn't add up to this. I inserted a 16GB SD card for further storage, cleaned out unused and old files, optimised performance, etc, and read this first on the forum ...

Amy
Community Manager
1551 replies

In some cases it's possible to fix some issues yourself. If you are having issues with your device, please try the tips below!

Reset your phone
Reset network settings
If your phone starts to slow down, this can be due to long-term accumulation of caches and residual files, you can reset your Phone to erase these cached files completely. This will restore your Wi-Fi, mobile data network, and Bluetooth settings, including hotspot tethering and Bluetooth pairing information. It won"t change other settings on your Phone, or delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset network settings, touch Reset network settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore all settings
This will restore your device"s initial network settings, fingerprint data, face data, and lock screen passwords. It won't reset settings for Find my Phone or HUAWEI ID, nor will it delete any data or files.

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset all settings, touch Reset all settings, and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

Restore factory settings
First, make a back-up. Restoring the factory settings will delete all data in your device"s memory and storage, including your account settings, system settings, app data, installed apps, music, images, and documents, and restore your Phone to its original factory settings. So, back up your data before restoring your device!

How to? Go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset phone, touch Reset phone, enter the screen unlock password (if any), and follow the onscreen instructions to reset the settings.

I was about to reset the settings but investigated further. Is it something to do with the cache which I thought I'd cleared? Should I commence resetting the network?

Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of response in this thread. Looks like the community isn't able to solve or answer your questions. Please contact our support team directly if you still need help: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/.