Answered

M5 - WiFi dies when Bluetooth used

• 15 September 2018
  • 11 replies

If streaming a movie, and listening with Bluetooth headphones, the WiFi is so poor that video becomes blocky and stutters. A quick Google search shows that this is a known problem with the shared antenna, but since the M5 doesn't have a headphone socket, is this something that might be fixed with a firmware update?
icon

Best answer by Max 17 September 2018, 16:41

Hi HailVectron!

Glad to hear that you are using the M5 tablet.

In response to your inquiry, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hardware are deisgned to be in the same chipset and are using the same frequency band. Therefore, using Bluetooth while surfing the Internet using Wi-Fi may cause the Wi-Fi speed to slow down.

Since the M5 supports dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), use the 5 GHz band to connect to Wi-Fi.

Hope this proves useful!

Max
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi HailVectron!

In response to your inquiry, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hardware are deisgned to be in the same chipset and are using the same frequency band. Therefore, using Bluetooth while surfing the Internet using Wi-Fi may cause the Wi-Fi speed to slow down.

Since the M5 supports dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), use the 5 GHz band to connect to Wi-Fi.

Hope this proves useful!

Max
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Also worth changing the band your wifi is on but I would wifi on 5ghz if your router supports.
Hi, I have just purchased the Huawei mediapad M5 and I'm having issues with slow WiFi when the tablet is connected to Bluetooth headphones.
I tried playing Netflix HD and it stops and keeps buffering when Bluetooth headphones are connected.
Please could someone help me or do I need to return the tablet?

Many Thanks
J
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @JaYZBeck,

Welcome on the Huawei Community. I moved your question to this thread to avoid double topics. Please read the comments above and please let us know if this helps!
I have the huawei P20 Lite and its a great phone, although I'm having problems with the bluetooth. when i connect a device (like wireless headphones) my connection gets slower and my video's and other media start to buffer. Is there a known fix or a reason to why?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Some Random Name,

I've moved your comment here as although it relates to a different device, Max's response might shed some light on the issue your seeing:

Hi HailVectron!

Hope this proves useful!

Max
Danjl - can you let me know if this problem is going to be fixed by Huawei, or are mediapad users expected to continue to use a product that is not fit for purpose? Requiring users to move to a 5g network (which may either not be an option, may have much reduced accessibility compared to 2.4g, and which in my iperf testing this morning results in a 90% speed drop) is not a solution. Something needs to be done. In my case, if something is not done I will regrettably be returning my recent purchase and opting to purchase a different brand entirely, now and in the future.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@natlu2809 , my understanding of Max's answer is that the device is dual band for wi-fi. This means it can connect to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. 5ghz is not related to 5g mobile networks. Confusing, I know right? 5ghz would work best for streaming video etc as it has more capacity. So by switching to using 5ghz for streaming, the issue should be resolved. Hope that helps.
Thanks for responding Danjl. Of course I do not mean 2/3/4/5g mobile networks in the context of this discussion. I'm not confused at all.

Switching to a 5Ghz wifi network does not solve the problem as others have pointed out. And as I mentioned, in iPerf tests I carried out this morning, there is a 90% reduction in transmission rates between the mediapad the iperf server. This is unnacceptable and makes the mediapad useless when using both wifi and bluetooth on the device (its possibly akin to using 56k modem 30 or so years ago). I hope this isn't confusing. On that basis, perhaps Max would like to confirm whether or not this design fault (not a bug) will be fixed and whether purchasers should return their purchases as not-fit-for-purpose.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@natlu2809 , thanks for clarifying. I've flagged for the support team so that @Max or a colleague can answer this.
After reading this thread 10 months ago, I switched to 5ghz and my Bluetooth headset worked fine - no more buffering. I recently bought a new pair of bluetooth earbuds (Meizu EP63NC with apt x) and I noticed that my Wi-Fi speed dropped by 75%!

I tried switching back to 2.4ghz and both devices now work perfectly - hardly any drop in Internet speed with both devices connected.

Have Huawei fixed the issue as in my case it doesn't seem to be the above mentioned hardware problem?