Question

Mediapad M5 before buying

• 24 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Have questions about this tablet before buying:
1. What is the current Android & EMUI version?
And does Huawei have any plans for the newer Android/EMUI 8.1 or 9 Pie update by new year at least?
2. Is there an equalizer settings under Sound, Audio or Music?
3. Does this tablet support or is compatible with Google Chromecast?
4. Does this tablet has a dark mode?
5. Can we install third-party launchers? (like Nova launcher)
6. Is there a way to use the fingerprint sensor to use as gestures?
7 What is the maximum brightness in nits?
Please advice.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
1. Out of box android Oreo and EMUI 8.0
2. Huawei’s Histen allows you to the equaliser settings when you connect headphones. The tablet has 4 Harman Kardon speakers capable of almost 80db.
3. Shouldn't be a problem, just download a casting app such as All Cast.
4. It has an ambient light sensor which will donor brighten your screen automatically. This can be overridden manually.
6. The fingerprint sensor supports gestures. With those you can replace the standard “home”, “back” and “recent apps” buttons.
7. The brightness is 378 cd/m2. Now this isn't the brightest tablet on the market however the brightness distribution is 92% and the 2k screen is very emersive.
Thank you so much for the answers.
Have questions re the various gestures and navigations available on EMUI 9.0 & 9.1.

The one thing I hate about EMUI is the presence of the three-way nav buttons on the bottom of the screen and having the apps drawer icon in the homescreen.

Is there a way (or a feature in the settings) that would allow gestures and navigations similar to iOS or Pixel devices doing away the nav buttons and the apps drawer icon and having no apps in all the homescreens?
Userlevel 2
Have questions re the various gestures and navigations available on EMUI 9.0 & 9.1.

The one thing I hate about EMUI is the presence of the three-way nav buttons on the bottom of the screen and having the apps drawer icon in the homescreen.

Is there a way (or a feature in the settings) that would allow gestures and navigations similar to iOS or Pixel devices doing away the nav buttons and the apps drawer icon and having no apps in all the homescreens?

You can remove the three way nav buttons completely, it's an option in settings.

As for the all apps button its either that or have then on your homescreen, unless you install an alternative launcher like nova or action for example, in these you can remove the apps button and use a gesture to reveal the all apps draw.
Are most if not all third-party launchers compatible with the Mediapad M5?

Another concern is that I heard you are not able to delete or disable Huawei first-party apps. Is this true?

Other concerns is the poor or lack of support/compatibility with Google Chromecast. How can i cast the tablet's screen to my TV?

Is there an EMUI 9.0 update available for this tablet? (been having mixed messages re this)