Answered

Whatsapp Notifications - P20 EMUI 9.0

• 13 February 2019
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi All.

Huawei P20
EMUI 9.0.0

Ever since the update to EMUI 9.0.0, I have a strange situation regarding Whatsapp notifications, as follows:

1: During a Whatsapp call, if I get a Whatsapp message, there is no vibration or alert sound, notifying me of a new message. This is under any sound profile: Sound, Vibrate or Silent. The LED notification still works, however.

2: The vibration for Whatsapp messages is the same for Groups and Individuals, despite custom settings having been applied.

Things I have already done:
  • Spoken to three Huawei Agents online with no assistance.
  • Spoken to Whatsapp Help with no assistance.
  • I have reset all notification settings to no avail
  • I have reset my device (not factory reset) to no avail - twice
  • Whatsapp notifications are all allowed under Settings
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Jase 13 February 2019, 15:27

Right, so I got my daughter to WhatsApp both me on my mate20 pro and my wife on her p20 pro while we were on a WhatsApp call. Neither of the phones vibrated to notify us, just the icon on screen showed up. After a little bit of googling it seems what your looking for is "in call notifications" but it looks like at least in this latest version of WhatsApp it's not supported or at least there doesn't appear to be a setting for it. I did however get a vibrating notification on my smart watch which I thought was interesting seeing as the phone didn't, so there's an expensive fix I guess lol.
I'll see if I can figure out your other issue later

Regards Jase
View original

27 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Have you checked that you have all notifications switched on within the apps own settings?

Regards Jase.
Userlevel 1
Yes I have indeed, all are on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Ok, I'll see if it does the same on my wifes p20pro and get back to you.
Userlevel 1
Thank you so much! Really appreciated.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Right, so I got my daughter to WhatsApp both me on my mate20 pro and my wife on her p20 pro while we were on a WhatsApp call. Neither of the phones vibrated to notify us, just the icon on screen showed up. After a little bit of googling it seems what your looking for is "in call notifications" but it looks like at least in this latest version of WhatsApp it's not supported or at least there doesn't appear to be a setting for it. I did however get a vibrating notification on my smart watch which I thought was interesting seeing as the phone didn't, so there's an expensive fix I guess lol.
I'll see if I can figure out your other issue later

Regards Jase
Userlevel 1
Yeah this changed with the update to EMUI. 9.0. Super weird. Thank you so so much for taking the time to check this out and confirm same. Greatly appreciated!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Yeah this changed with the update to EMUI. 9.0. Super weird. Thank you so so much for taking the time to check this out and confirm same. Greatly appreciated!
Your welcome, I'm just waiting on a group chat message to see if the notification sound has changed from default 😉
Userlevel 1
When I'm off a WhatsApp call, the LED and alert tones behave themselves. Just the vibration which remains the same, even though different vibration settings have been applied.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
When I'm off a WhatsApp call, the LED and alert tones behave themselves. Just the vibration which remains the same, even though different vibration settings have been applied.
Sorry I misread what you'd said in the original post, which two vibrating settings have you used? and I'll try them out
Userlevel 1
Individual = long and Group = default. But both come through as short, irrespective, haha.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Yip, two short vibrations regardless of setting in app. I think that's down to app rather than phone though but I'm just surmising. At least you know your not doing anything wrong I guess 🤷

Regards Jase.
Userlevel 1
Even the Huawei techs down here are stumped. It's odd!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Even the Huawei techs down here are stumped. It's odd!
The app isn't interacting with the phone like it's intended, could be either the app or phones operating system getting something wrong but it's impossible for us to know. I'm just a guy like you trying but failing to help lol
Userlevel 1
Yeah I figured... Neither WhatsApp nor Huawei have any idea. Thank you for the help thus far though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Thank you for taking your time to report on the situation and providing us with further information.

With the feedback, opinions and comments provided, we have taken those into account and escalated the provided information further to the appropriate departments to research in regards to the Whatsapp compatibility when it comes to notifications, vibrations and such.

Should we have any news, we will keep you updated on the situation!

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hello Max. Thank you kindly! Would appreciate any feedback.
Cheers!
hi. I am having similar problems, not just WhatsApp. randomly turns settings off, notifications sometimes for msg, email and what's app. sometimes works, most of the time doesn't. tried and changed many of the setting recommended by online help. Battery apps now manual. etc, etc. moves icons around randomly, it worked perfectly for about 6 months. I am now sick of it, if it hadn't cost so much it would be dumped, and back to my perfect Samsung s5.
Userlevel 1
It really is just the notification thing for me since the update. The interface just doesn't seem to work that well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Rest assured that this matter has been raised to the development team departments and is being currently looked into!

We do not have any news at the moment in regards to this I am afraid, but as soon as we do we will let you know!

Best regards,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hello Max!
Great news thank you so much. Appreciate any assistance at all.
Cheers.
Hi All,
did anybody found a solution to this? I have a similar issue with my brand new P30 Pro: no sound or LED notification when receiving a WhatsApp message. The vibration works fine however.
i have no problems with WhatsApp calls either.
Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Hi. No, still no solution to the problem, it seems, and obviously something that is perpetuating itself throughout the range now.
A pity... thank you!
I have the Honor 10. When I get a message my phone vibrates but the notification LED doesn't flash until after I've pressed the power button to turn the screen on. If I miss the vibration I have no idea I have a message until I check my phone. I have tried installing various LED apps like the LED Blinker Pro but nothing works. I don't understand why the LED will work but only after I've checked my phone

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated
After tweaking a few settings sometimes the led notification flashes and sometimes it doesn't, all very random