Answered

Absence of the fingerprint in the settings

• 12 October 2018
  • 64 replies

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 1 reply
Hello
I cannot find in my settings fingerprint option, even after the restart after the last update. What I should do?

icon

Best answer by Luis 28 July 2019, 14:46

Hi, I figured out what is causing the problem with the fingerprint setup on my Smart P. It is Gmail app. I have no doubt about it, at least inside my limited knowledge of this matters.

I made the factory reset as recommended. Tunrned it on and made the initial setup, and fingerprint worked for a couple of times. Then I went to finish the setup, and setup my gmail app. Immediatelly afer this fingerprint stopped working.

I made a new reset, but just cleared cache, and started in safe mode. It all worked. Made a reboot, and as soon as gmail app was activated, no fingerprint functionality anymore. I went to settings and diasabled gmail app, and it came back working.

So it seems pretty conclusive to me, gmail app introduces a bug in your operating system. Any ideas on how to make this go away?

Also, I started using Blue Mail in order to have email access while this is sorted out, but I am not sure if this is secure. Any comments on that?

I am sure there is more people out there with similar issues. And tech support should look at it to give some solution.

Thanks!
Luis
View original

64 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Settings >

Security >

Fingerprint ID >
There is no fingerprint option.
Settings >

Security >

Fingerprint ID >

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
More than likely this is just a bug caused by the update you did. A couple of things to try:

Go to settings } apps & notifications } apps } more } reset app preferences and then tap reset.

Then go to settings } system } reset } network settings reset and reset that too. Then restart the handset.

Let me know if this doesn't work pal 👍
the fingerprint scanner on my p20 pro has stopped working and it has vanished from the settings. I have factory reset my phone but it hasn't worked. it seems to be a common problem. does anyone have the solution?

thank you

Elaine
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Elaine,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read and try the comments above and let us know if you need any assistance!
This did not work for me. Hhheelllppp!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi elenio,

Sorry to hear of the situation. Since the factory reset has determined it is not a software issue that you are experiencing the only remaining option is a hardware issue.
As such I would recommend sending the device in to our technicians. For the UK region we do facilitate a postal repair service, if you wish to make a booking please contact us directly at https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/ .

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Hi, my finger recog was working one minute and then not the next.
All of the finger I.D has completely gone from settings.
I've reset the phone and no luck
The button itself Is now getting super hot.
Anything I can do manually without having to send it off for repair. Only had it since Dec
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Sammyp,

I moved your question to this thread. Please read and try the tips above. Will you keep us updated? 🙂
Hi Guys

I have a p20 pro which I really like but woke up this morning and my finger recognition doesn't work. Gone through the settings and the finger print security is completely disappeared as if I imagined or dreamt that I had it setup in the first place. Can I get it back and is this a common issue as I'm a fan of Huawei now after being a avid iPhone champion which didn't have these issues. Please help or I may be put off purchasing more Huawei products
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Mikah194,

Welcome on the Huawei Community! I moved your question to this thread. Please read the comments above and let us know if you have any questions. 🙂
There doesn't seem to be a fix for this issue.. I've had my phone since December 2018 and shouldn't be experiencing this type of problems with 4 months of having this phone.. As I said I've had iPhone for years every model up to the iPhone 7 and I've never had issues with fingerprint recognition especially for it to completely disappeared from my phone options, this is the first time I've opted to go for something different and I really like my p20 pro but if it's starting to experience issues after 3 months is this really a phone that will last me 2years ??? Also if I had to send my phone off for repair how much is that going to cost me now. Someone please give me some hope that I've made that right choice with this phone
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Maybe we could check if it's a firmware update issue? If a few people could list their phone, update version and if it WORKS OK or is MISSING, we might be able to tie it down. I'll start the ball rolling:

P20 Pro, 9.0.0.203, WORKS OK

Cheers

Steve
P20 Pro 9.0.0.159 finger recognition not working
Should my phone be updated as I haven't been prompted to update the version I'm on..
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
If you do Settings/System/Software Update you can do a check.

If not, there's a thread on phoning the helpline to get and update. Maybe that will help.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

If you are still having issues with the fingerprint on your devices, can you please PM me the Serial Number of your devices so I can look into this further?

You will find this information either on the box of the device or on Settings > About phone > Status.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best wishes,

Max
I am also experiencing the same issue with the fingerprint scanner no longer working and missing from the settings area. I have posted here: My post

My problem is such that my banking apps no longer offer me the option to authenticate via signature.

I am not aware of any physical damage to my handset and have tried the above reset steps in one of the comments in this thread.

Also, the fingerprint scanner in my Honor View 10 worked as a gesture button. Actions such as a tap would be the 'back' button and this has also stopped working. It's as if the hardware no longer works at all.
Hey so my fingerprint option went off the settings and i cant unlock phone anymore. I got replaced the whole back plate by huawei services (i paid for it - ok i scratched the surface of 1st sensor so i understand i had to pay but it worked with scratch brilliant for over 2 weeks) and still it works nice for like 40-60min and than go off the phone. Facotry reset seems sometimes to help but again after max 60min it is gone. Please help. It occured 1st time like 4 days ago. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @OJD and @Ziettol

Welcome on the community! Did you see Max's reply? Please send him a PM with your information.

Hi all,

If you are still having issues with the fingerprint on your devices, can you please PM me the Serial Number of your devices so I can look into this further?

You will find this information either on the box of the device or on Settings > About phone > Status.

Hope this helps! 🙂
It starts to be anoying, i got 2nd new back on my phone - fingerprint worked fine for 1,5 days and again its dead. Please help!
Same issue, in my case I have today just lost Fingerprint ID function and in Settings Menu after I upgraded to EMUI 9.0.0.189.
My phone : Honor Play COR L-29 (purchased March 2019).
Tried resetting app preferences and network settings, no joy.
Any ideas ?
An almost new Honor Play COR-L29 has lost the Fingerprint scanner function in Settings and operation.
This followed an EMUI upgrade to EMUI 9.0.0.189.
Have spoken to UK support and followed the recommended hardware reset to no avail.
This could be a hardware fault that coincidentally occurred after the EMUI upgrade but is the more likely cause a bug in EMUI 9.0.0.189?
Looking through this forum and others it does seem that the Fingerprint scanner is a know failure point.
I guess you get what you pay for ...
Not too keen to send it off for a repair.
Having spoken to Huawei Support it seems that a Hardware Reset is the only possible solution apart from sending the phone back to them. Suggestions such as reset network settings and apps (see at the top of this thread) are without merit (according to support).
Now I understand why Apple sell at a premium price: one can visit the local Apple store and get repairs done, and their hardware works...
All I can say is everything that has been said above has just happened to mine yesterday, completely disappeared like it never existed!!! Do we have a fix for it yet.....so frustrating!!! 😠😠😠