Question

Bluetooth audio codec

• 25 September 2018
  • 27 replies

Good morning

Anytime I play video's from YouTube or movies from my phone via Bluetooth headphones the audio is out of sync. I have enabled Developer options and tried changing the bluetooth audio codec from AAC but wont let me, does anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks

27 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Is this issue present when using those headphones on other devices?
No it isnt Lifelust, ive recently changed from a Samsung Galaxy S7 and had no issues and I believe the Samsung uses a different codec to AAC which P20 Pro uses.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi garygunning!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Regarding your issue with the bluetooth sound delay I'd kindly recommend resetting the network settings. You can do that by following the steps below:
Open Settings>System>Reset>Network settings reset, tap on the Network Settings Reset button, enter your lock screen password if you have one, tap on Network Settings Reset Again.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Julian
I also have this issue on the Huawei Mediapad M5 lite 10. My wireless headphones don't sync properly but work fine on other device 😡. Tried the Network reset but still the same. Might just take the pad bk and get Samsung or ipad if there is no fix. Very disappointing.
Userlevel 2
@Ckaceshot, I would recommend checking the Bluetooth codecs supported by your Bluetooth headphones to see whether APT-X is supported and also if the headphones have an option to give priority to quality over stability. If your headphones support APT-X, but still the codec used is SBC, check the user guide of the headphone and find out whether there is a way to switch between the codecs or give priority to sound quality or stability. For example: SONY headphones can switch between two modes: “Give priority to Stability” and “Give priority to Quality”. For doing this, when turning on the device we should press volume up + power button until we hear a beep or a voice confirmation. Test both options to see whether any of them solves the issue and, if the issue persists, please let us know the IMEI and build number of your phone and the model of the headphones to report the issue to our development so we can look into it. We look forward to your reply.
My Jabra Elite Active 65t Bluetooth wireless earbuds work flawlessly with my Huawei Mate 8 (Android 7.0) and my Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (Android 9.0), however I have an issue using them with my new Huawei Mate 20 x. They pair and connect immediately, but while they will play phone calls, they won't play media audio. This includes music I have downloaded to the phone and music I try to play via WiFi using Spotify or YouTube, etc. The player says the song is playing, but no sound comes from the earbuds UNLESS I go into Developer Settings and change the 'default' Bluetooth codec from AAC to SBC, then music is immediately heard. However, when I exit Developer Settings and again try to play music the same thing happens, because Huawei doesn't allow users to save changes to the default Bluetooth codec. It is a shame to have to purchase another set of wireless earbuds as these cost me a couple hundred quid.
I also have serious lagging when I connect my sony wireless headphones to my hauwei p30 Pro. Can someone please help. No other problems on another device and have tried the network reset
Using P10 with B&O E8 earphones but after a while the connection always gets worse and worse, with dropouts; other times it says it is connected, but no sound; other times it simply refuses to connect.

I've tried re-pair and resetting the earphones, but the only solution is to restart the P10, which makes me think the problem is the phone. The only reason I tolerate it is that while it works, it sounds great, but it's very tedious....

Any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey all!

Please check out this thread regarding this discussion: https://huawei-en.insided.com/other-products-52/bluetooth-earphones-sound-lag-on-mediapad-m5-2209

Please let us know if this helped!

Cheers
Hi, Same issue here.
Jabra elite active 65t headphones, p20 pro.

Cannot set the default audio codec to SBC. I can change it, which then works, but just like above it forgets the setting as soon as my headphones disconnect.

Hey all!

Please check out this thread regarding this discussion: https://huawei-en.insided.com/other-products-52/bluetooth-earphones-sound-lag-on-mediapad-m5-2209
Please let us know if this helped!

Cheers

This doesn't help, rerouts to a login page, I'm not creating yet another account to read a topic which should be answered here.

My Jabra Elite Active 65t Bluetooth wireless earbuds work flawlessly with my Huawei Mate 8 (Android 7.0) and my Xiaomi Mi Max 3 (Android 9.0), however I have an issue using them with my new Huawei Mate 20 x. They pair and connect immediately, but while they will play phone calls, they won't play media audio. This includes music I have downloaded to the phone and music I try to play via WiFi using Spotify or YouTube, etc. The player says the song is playing, but no sound comes from the earbuds UNLESS I go into Developer Settings and change the 'default' Bluetooth codec from AAC to SBC, then music is immediately heard. However, when I exit Developer Settings and again try to play music the same thing happens, because Huawei doesn't allow users to save changes to the default Bluetooth codec. It is a shame to have to purchase another set of wireless earbuds as these cost me a couple hundred quid.

Have you had any luck with this one frcaig? It's driving me insane. I used an app to create a shortcut to developer options, makes it a little easier. But not being able to set a default codec is unacceptable, I'm more likely to just abandon Huawei than I am to change earbuds. Since technically, the earbuds aren't the problem.
Why can not I change the bluetooth codec from SBC even on AAC in my Mate 20 lite? All network reset options and factory settings do not help. My headphones are Sony MDR-ZX770BN that have support for AAC and other codecs. I apologize for my English all the time I learn to write in this language :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @TomPoland,

I moved your question here, please read the comments in this thread and let us know if you still need assistance. 🙂
Can we get a reply from anyone in Huawei on this issue? If we were able to set the default audio codec the problem would be solved. But at the moment there is no way to "save" this default.
@Amy @Max can anyone give a different way to solve this problem? restarting the network settings and returning to the factory settings does not give anything. all the time the options are gray. one could say that it's a bit embarrassing that nobody can answer this problem in an effective way 😫😫😫
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @TomPoland, I've flagged this so Max or someone from the support can look at it.
Same here. I have the Sony WH-1000XM3. It supports ldac.(obviously) I cant seem to change my bluetooth codec on my phone(p20 pro). it just defaults to sbc and it doesnt let me to use the other codecs

Same here. I have the Sony WH-1000XM3. It supports ldac.(obviously) I cant seem to change my bluetooth codec on my phone(p20 pro). it just defaults to sbc and it doesnt let me to use the other codecs

I have exactly the same issue with the Honor 8 Pro and headset.
Hello! First time poster here.
I've just bought a pair of new earbuds that are APTX HD compatible, but the best I can get them to connect to on my P20 Pro is APTX, with APTX HD being greyed out in Developer Options. Is there something else I need to do in order to access APTX HD? Any advice appreciated.
Hello! First time poster here.
I've just bought a pair of new earbuds that are APTX HD compatible, but the best I can get them to connect to on my P20 Pro is APTX, with APTX HD being greyed out in Developer Options. Is there something else I need to do in order to access APTX HD? Any advice appreciated.

The solution is as the following: install the mobile app of your earbuds and there tweak the settings to best quality (not better range!) then apply and that should do 🙂
No app for these unfortunately. They are Mpow T5's which specify they're APT X HD compatible. They sound great on APT X though, but would like to utilise HD if I can.
Is it still greyed out when you've got them connected?
Is it still greyed out when you've got them connected?

Indeed it is.
What if you contact their support? Perhaps?
What if you contact their support? Perhaps?

Waiting to hear from them. I do wonder if they've maybe misdescribed them, and are only APT X, but all the advertising mentions HD!
Heard back from them, and despite the advertising blurb stating APT X HD, they are only APT X, so they've given me a decent discount which I'm happy with.

There don't seem to be many APT X earbuds at this price level, and they do sound good enough to me, and so far haven't suffered from any audio dropouts which is a major plus.