Answered

How to free up memory on my phone

• 4 September 2018
  • 24 replies

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 1 reply
My phone has over 5g of others crap on my phone. Only had phone 3 months. Don't know how it's got that much
icon

Best answer by DRSC Media 3 July 2019, 13:06

@Danjl yes I can see them now just fine, seems there was an issue previously but it's fixed.

@aa user as somebody else mentioned, the "apps" also includes data from apps, such as, for example, if you download music on Spotify or if you have Youtube premium and download videos to watch them offline. Even Google Maps does this. In many cases, this data does not appear under the proper app. A concrete example is a reader app I use, which appears as using "20mb", but when I check on my PC, the proper folder containing all the content I've downloaded to read offline is 20GB, thus why I have 36GB of "app" data on my device.

For this, you can connect the phone to your PC and check the size of the folders on your phone memory. You might have downloaded an app/use an app that downloads large amounts of data without realizing it.

If this is not the case, I recommend you use a Huawei ID to backup your pictures/SMS/contacts to the Huawei Mobile Cloud, and then backup via HiSuite on PC your applications and other important data, then do a factory reset of the device. Don't forget to first delete your google account from the device to avoid being Google locked.
View original

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
what do you mean by others? is it other peoples data? photos etc or just stuff that has come onto the handset
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
That's quite normal, "other" simply means anything which doesn't fit into the other categories (apps, images, videos etc). A lot of that is likely taken up by the operating system while some of it will be linked to some of your apps. When you install an app it's data is catagorized into the "apps" section in the memory management but if that app requires any files to be downloaded, say for example it's a satnav app and it needs to download maps, that all goes into "others".

My phone currently has 3.6gb of "others"
Many thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge
My phone has over 5g of others crap on my phone. Only had phone 3 months. Don't know how it's got that much

One the biggest esters of your memory is What's App and the way it behaves @Glenn . If you are getting photos and videos to sent you or you are sending them, they store in both the App and the folder for photos for What's App in your photos album gallery (same for videos). Plus also, weblinks can take lots of space too due to preview links. Always good to have a good cleanup/delete of these What's App albums weekly.

Also, check your deleted photo album as your be surprised how much is in there too.

A further place to check is your downloads, as that can also be a big storage area that many people forget to cleanup
I have a P20 and it is now staying I have insufficient storage. I have deleted/ removed photos and videos and emptied cache.

When I go into storage, it says that I have 110 (of my 128G) taken up by apps. when I go into clean up, it says that I have 45 large apps amounting to 3.46G. When I look at the actual app, the largest is 872MB

I'm not a techie person so don't stream videos etc and don't install many apps etc.

Please could someone tell me why it is telling me that my apps use up so much memory and what I can do to free memory up again please?
Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @aa user,

Welcome on the community!

I moved your post here. Please read the thread and let me know if you still need assistance.
Hi Amy

Many thanks for this, However, I still need help please. This thread is about 5G of memory being used, whereas my phone is using 110G of memory with Apps. I haven't installed any big apps and don't stream or download stuff.

What can I do please? Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thank you for your reply. I flagged this for support but maybe @DRSC Media @picitup @drhouse are able to help you. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hey @aa user, could you please go to Settings>Storage and share a screenshot of that? Thanks
Hi there, I uploaded the screen shots a few days ago. Did they come through?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Did you upload them here on this thread? I do not see anything.

I have just uploaded it again onto this thread. Thanks

can you see the upload yet? I've done it several times. thank you
Can you see the upload yet? I'm really struggling with my phone! Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@aa user, @DRSC Media - I can see the screenshots, just want to check you can too and there isn't an issue.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@Danjl yes I can see them now just fine, seems there was an issue previously but it's fixed.

@aa user as somebody else mentioned, the "apps" also includes data from apps, such as, for example, if you download music on Spotify or if you have Youtube premium and download videos to watch them offline. Even Google Maps does this. In many cases, this data does not appear under the proper app. A concrete example is a reader app I use, which appears as using "20mb", but when I check on my PC, the proper folder containing all the content I've downloaded to read offline is 20GB, thus why I have 36GB of "app" data on my device.

For this, you can connect the phone to your PC and check the size of the folders on your phone memory. You might have downloaded an app/use an app that downloads large amounts of data without realizing it.

If this is not the case, I recommend you use a Huawei ID to backup your pictures/SMS/contacts to the Huawei Mobile Cloud, and then backup via HiSuite on PC your applications and other important data, then do a factory reset of the device. Don't forget to first delete your google account from the device to avoid being Google locked.
@DRSC Media Thank you so much, I'll have a look at that. If that is the case re apps, can I delete stuff to free up memory do you know?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@aa user if it is an application that downloads data for offline use, you should be able to delete said data via the application in question, or by just deleting the folder on your phone via the PC. Make sure to enable "hidden files" on your PC, as sometimes the folder is hidden. If you don't find the cause, then yeah, just factory reset.
@DRSC Media complete technophobe here! I work on a mac and have backed up my phone to Hisuite. Any idea how I see 'hidden files' on a mac please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Er.... I don't use Mac.

Here's a page showing how to do this. Worst case, you can just factory reset your device directly if you've backup all your files.
Thank you for your help. I did end up backing up my phone and restoring to factory settings... and I'm actually just using 24GB of my 128GB storage. Flipping technology! Thank again
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thank you for your help. I did end up backing up my phone and restoring to factory settings... and I'm actually just using 24GB of my 128GB storage. Flipping technology! Thank again
Glad you resolved it.

Enjoy your device 😀