How to share your Mobile Network using Wi-Fi hotspot

• 11 September 2018
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 2391 replies
If you want to share your mobile network with other devices you can set up your Huawei phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Having problems while sharing your mobile data? Let us know in the comments. Happy to help!

How to create Wi-Fi hotspot
Open your Settings and go to Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot > Configure Wi-Fi hotspot. Set the network name, encryption type and password. Save it and you are ready to use it!

Be smart and set a data limit
Go to Settings > Data limit > set a data limit for a single session. With a set data limit other devices won't have unlimited access to your hotspot data. When the data limit is reached, your device will disable the Wi-Fi hotspot.

Want to use a USB cable to share mobile data?
Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot > enable USB tethering to start sharing your mobile data with a computer.

Want to use Bluetooth to share mobile data?
Enable Bluetooth on both devices and pair them. Open Settings > Wireless & networks > Tethering & portable hotspot > enable Bluetooth tethering and start sharing your mobile data.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Sajmal,

Welcome on the community! I changed your username, because its against community guidelines to use your number as a username. :)

I moved your question to this topic. In the comments above, another user addressed the same issue. Please see Max's reply above and let us know if resetting the network settings helped.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Have you tried forgetting the network on your laptop.
Or you could try changing the network name.

Userlevel 4
Badge
I'm glad. Isn't it lovely when an issue gets sorted. 😁
@Lifelust changing the network name looks to have resolved it. I would have never thought to try that.
Thanks very much for all your help, this has been a real pain for several weeks!
Hi @Sajmal, @cullet16,

Could you kindly provide me with the model of your devices so I can look further into this?

Looking forward to your replies!
Best wishes,
Max

I have the Mate 20 Pro, Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @cullet16,

Thank you for providing me with the model of your device!

Would you be able to PM me in private with the Serial Number of your device to inspect this further?

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Max
Everytime my hotspot is active, I can't use data on my device p8 lite.
No other Android device that I've used has ever has this issue with a mobile hotspot.
Hi

I have recently bought this phone and having issues with internet hotspot.

I got 2 sim cards in the phone

Both from the same network Three UK.

Internet works fine on the phone , but as soon i switch on the hot spot on the phone , the internet stops working on the phone. While the internet is working fine on the hotspot connected devices.

I ringed Huawel Tech support and they said it is an issue with APN settings , so try to ring three.

I spoke with Three and have reset the APN settings to new and still no luck.

I took the 2nd sim card out and than reset the APN settings and still no luck

Can some one guide how can i resolve this issue.

The Andriod is software is fully updated.
Hi Sajmal,

Welcome on the community! I changed your username, because its against community guidelines to use your number as a username. :)

I moved your question to this topic. In the comments above, another user addressed the same issue. Please see Max's reply above and let us know if resetting the network settings helped.

i have tried what ever max has said earlier as well , but it does not resolve the issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Morning Sajmal,

Thank you for the swift reply. Sorry to see that this didn't work. I will ask Max to assist you in this thread.
I am having the same issue, on Vodafone and the sim works in another phone, I have tried resetting network settings and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello Ami. I bought a Mate 20 Lite the last week and I'm forced to use the same name for the WiFi sharing and for the Bluetooth networks. It's a bit annoying as in my previous phone (Nexus 5X) I was able to set different names for them.

Is there a way to "dissociate" these networks and set different names for each one?

Best regards

Angelo
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @Ruc. Which part no longer works? The hot spot, data limit, USB tethering?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Your sim provider may have not provided data sharing with your contract.
This no longer works since I upgraded to android 8.
Is there any solution or are we all waiting for Google to fix this?
Thanks
Thanks for the response.
Not tried USB, but hotspotting with WiFi or Bluetooth both fail. The other device finds and connects to the hotspot but I cannot do anything else. Cannot get to any website etc. . I swapped my sim into my old phone and all is well there so it seems to be this phone.
@chillphone It worked until I upgraded to android 8 and works fine if I move my sim to my old phone so doesn't appear to be my service provider
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi andy65,

Sorry to hear of the situation. Have you tried doing a network setting reset to the device?
To do a Network Setting Reset, you simply have to go into Settings- on top there is a search bar - just search for the word "Reset". Among the search results presented there will be Network Reset. It will ask for a confirmation and then proceed.
Afterwards just restart the device and test the hotspot.

Hope you find this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Sajmal, @cullet16,

Could you kindly provide me with the model of your devices so I can look further into this?

Looking forward to your replies!
Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 4
Badge
As you've not had a response yet we'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/