Question

No Notification read/reply on lockscreen

• 27 August 2018
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 1
It seems that in recent updates Huawei have removed the ability to expand a lockscreen notification to read it or even reply without having to unlock the screen first ( p20 pro).

This used to work but has now gone, all other phones support this so why remove it Huawei? this is a huge loss for some people and we need to get Huawei to reinstate as an option to users

31 replies

Userlevel 4
I fully agree.
Please add this.
Userlevel 4
It seems to be a greater issue:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p20/help/expanding-notifications-lockscreen-t3780161
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi, all!

To answer your question, which has a great deal of merit in it, I will take note of your feedback and report it to our research and development for consideration, so it can be solved with a future system update. We cannot guarantee that, but feedback from customers such as yourself help us in our continuous task to improve the user experience, to make it possible!

Max
Userlevel 4
Hi Max,
thank you for the reply.

But to be honest this is an essential Android-feature that just hast to work. Not a new feature that has to be discussed so please forward this to get it fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@xfirf

I can confirm that this particular case was already dispatched to our development team so it can be investigated and considered. Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Max
This problem is not solved. Saying that your team will looki into it does not consider as solving.

I just bought Huawei nova 3 and I realized that neither does it support my Fitbit (does not connect), nor can I expand notification on my lock screen. As some of the people said above, this function is very important for a smartphone. Please push your R&D team to get a solution or update the system.

I'm very disappointed with Huawei.
Userlevel 1
I have the same problem. @Max please can you escalate this request with your management team so the developers can understand we need a fix for it very soon.

I switched from iPhone for the amazing camera on the P20 Pro and I'm happy with the new device but I find it extremely difficult going through multiple messages on the lock screen. In fact, I cannot even go through them unless I open the app involved.

For example, I have many WhatsApp group messages that come through for work and with the iPhone I would be able to expand the notification allowing me to read each individual message at the lock screen. However, now all I get is a single notification saying '5 messages' with only a few words preview with a drop down arrow on the notification bar that doesn't do anything when I press it. Please see the screenshot below.

On iPhone, I used to be able to scroll through all the messages on the lock screen and only open the app to reply if I found that any of the messages were directed towards me. Please see the below screenshot showing what the P20 Pro currently cannot do:

Unfortunately, I will now have to re-register my WhatsApp with my old iPhone just so I can read messages quickly. If it carries on I will consider to stop using my P20 Pro as my daily device completely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Thank you once again for all your feedback on this topic.
The notification panel has been modified this way to ensure a high level of privacy. Currently there is no option to reduce the privacy level but based on consumer feedback this might change in a future update.
All your feedback is appreciated and constantly added to this matter.

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max
After installing emui last update (8.0) in my p8 lite 2017, WhatsApp notifications on lock screen don't work properly. I can't see more than one message even if I receive some more, and I have to unlock my mobile because it doesn't let me see them while the screen in locked. I find this problem very annoying. Is it going to be solved soon with a patch?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Marika96,

I moved your post to this thread. Please read the comments above and let us know if you have any additional questions about this. 🙂
Userlevel 1
@Max thanks for your reply, however we're still left in the dark by your answer. We would like to hear from a member of management with a response giving us a time frame for when they expect it to be fixed. There are some countries that have had 8.1.0.165 pushed out which apparently has a semi-fix allowing users to double tap the down arrow to expand the notifications. Although at present for some of us we have the 'latest version' as 8.1.0.155 which hasn't addressed the issue at all.

The 'high level of privacy' you speak of doesn't justify the reason why we can't expand or autoexpand our lockscreen notifications via face or fingerprint unlock. We can access the entire device and it's data via face and fingerprint unlock. The entire device privacy is governed by the face, fingerprint and password unlock. There is no reason why notifications on the lockscreen are kept even more 'locked' so that the owner of the device can't access them.

@Max you must understand, your reply frustrates the community and we justifiably demand that you re-forward this thread to your management team so they can develop a real plan and detailed reply.

@Max please also understand that the frustration isn't directed to you personally, and I expect you are willing to do as much as you can for the valued customers of Huawei. However, the situation is worse because the frustration is directed to our devices. Our frustration is directed towards the product(s) itself which doesn't look good for Huawei as a hardware manufacturer and software developer. We hope and expect that something more detailed in terms of information can be provided by you or your colleagues soon. Many of us will be watching this space for that information. I have this page bookmarked on my home screen for regular checks/updates.

Many Thanks.
I totally agree, please get back to the normal function, I don't understand how can this new feature can be considered useful. It is not. At all. Al least give us the opportunity to decide if we want to "ensure" our mobiles' privacy. Send a patch to resolve this problem, PLEASE. Work on this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Marika96,

Thank you for your interest and feedback for our devices, all your feedback is appreciated and constantly added to this matter.

Best wishes,
Max
Userlevel 1
@Max it has now been 3 months since your initial response to the community uproar about this issue. Is there any more information about this problem on your end?

Also, is this currently being flagged by us in the correct area online? If there is a more suitable site/page where we should be raising our concerns regarding this specific issue please do let us know, as our devices are currently suffering severe communication problems whilst this problem persists.

Thanks.
Hi all,

Thank you once again for all your feedback on this topic.
The notification panel has been modified this way to ensure a high level of privacy. Currently there is no option to reduce the privacy level but based on consumer feedback this might change in a future update.
All your feedback is appreciated and constantly added to this matter.

And as always if you need any further assistance please feel free to contact us via forum or via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/

Best wishes,
Max

Hi, I recently paid extra on my home security system app so I can view my notifications of people coming to my house on my lockscreen notifications, but because of this feature does not working on the huewai, I've just wasted my money paying for 1 years subscription, please fix this.
This must be the only phone brand that doesn't allow it and that's very disappointing saying how expensive the P20 pro was to buy.

There are many forums even on reddit of people complaining about this problem.

Thank you
Userlevel 1
It seems that in recent updates Huawei have removed the ability to expand a lockscreen notification to read it or even reply without having to unlock the screen first ( p20 pro).

This used to work but has now gone, all other phones support this so why remove it Huawei? this is a huge loss for some people and we need to get Huawei to reinstate as an option to users

I am using mate 20, the same problem i am experiencing, but recently, i found the real cause of the issue.
if you are using the face unlock, the notification will fully show once your face is recognized by your phone, go back to your settings >> security and privacy, face recognition, type your password and make sure smart lock screen notification is disabled, exit the settings, lock your phone, now send a simple message from your other phone to your phone and see if that settings changes your lock screen notification. good luck and hope this help you 🙂
yes this is an essential feature and we want it back please,I just moved from samsung to huawei and very dissapointed that there is no lockscreen reply, I think it is a very acceptable compromise between security and practicality plus every other phone has it
Nope it still doesn't expand my notifications, they need to fix this and give you the option to have it hidden or visible or expandable for which apps you choose. My security app is almost useless without this ability.
Userlevel 1
yes this is an essential feature and we want it back please,I just moved from samsung to huawei and very dissapointed that there is no lockscreen reply, I think it is a very acceptable compromise between security and practicality plus every other phone has it
hello csav1551,
have you tried the following potential solution,
  1. disable face unlock, disable smart unlock
  2. go to settings, notification management, lock screen show all (a small expandable arrow visible beside the message means you can expand and if the message supports reply, you will see it there)
  3. go to settings, notification, app, tap an application, it will show you the list of enabled notification for that certain application, check if banners is enabled. if not enabled it. Banners show up beneath the status bar and allow you to reply without going to the application itself while you are doing something in the home screen. do this for all application, manually.
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/6302/ntQxpI.jpg[/img]
Userlevel 1
@ekym_ilgap73 I'm afraid we still are unable to get expandable list of notifications on the lock screen.

The issue is definitely present on the following model/build:

With the following 'message notification' settings:

As I have done, can you please confirm your model and firmware number so we can see if you're currently running anything different to us who are having issues?

Again, here is an example of the pathetic amount of text I get from a notification banner on my lockscreen. You can only read the first sentence and that's with face and smart unlock completely disabled (I even deleted my face data).

@Max what's the latest on your end? We'd like to know what details and developments have come on a technical level regarding this please.
Userlevel 1
i have the latest version of android, its Android Pie and not oreo with EMUI 9.0, However, Android Oreo is much more than capable of expanding notification rather than the Pie.

Can you please tell us exactly how come you get a black background on your settings. Is your phone capable of dark mode or is it a theme downloaded on theme store.

I will try to check with my other phone and come back to you.
Userlevel 1
@ekym_ilgap73 if Huawei rolled out Android 9.0 to my P20 Pro (C636) then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I've even hear people being able to use the little down arrow on notifications with version 8.1.0.156 so when you say you're on 9.0 I feel so out of date :(

The dark settings is an option for me when I go into Battery > Darken interface colours
Userlevel 1
@ekym_ilgap73 if Huawei rolled out Android 9.0 to my P20 Pro (C636) then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I've even hear people being able to use the little down arrow on notifications with version 8.1.0.156 so when you say you're on 9.0 I feel so out of date :(

The dark settings is an option for me when I go into Battery > Darken interface colours

now, don't be so sad, you will received the roll out soon, and there's not too much of the difference anyway, we can receive the notification on the lock screen and tapping expand button will only lead you to tapping it again to open the app 😃 (i am on EMUI 9 so they say) and by the way here's i found out with my mate 9 having an oreo 8.0.1,
  1. you can received the notification on lock screen, it will show you the content but tapping the drop down arrow will only tell you to tap it again to go to its application.
  2. too many notification from the same app, will be grouped to that app, you can never reply like others believe they can, it will also tell you to tap it again to open the application by then you need to input your password to open your phone.
  3. enabling the application banner will give you freedom to expand and reply just swipe down your notification bar check your notification, tap the drop down arrow, applications that i verified are 3 apps only that will allow you to reply without opening their application, messenger (FB), whatsapp, messaging other than these 2 , tapping reply means opening their application. i can also do the same on android P, however you can only do this when you are in your home screen.
for now we'll continue to find possible fixes and share them here, there is something on the system that needs to be triggered or needs to be disabled, we just need to hold on for now and be patient.
Hi, all!

To answer your question, which has a great deal of merit in it, I will take note of your feedback and report it to our research and development for consideration, so it can be solved with a future system update. We cannot guarantee that, but feedback from customers such as yourself help us in our continuous task to improve the user experience, to make it possible!

Max

Hi Max,

Any update on the above issue?
Hi,
I have just switched to Huawei from iPhone, I am using the P30 Pro model.

I must say that like everyone else here, my biggest disappointment with the phone is the way the lock screen displays notifications.

I think it's an essential feature of a smartphone to allow expandable notifications so they can be read and replied to on the lock screen.

@Max you mentioned privacy being the main reason for this restricted set up we currently have. I don't understand why we users do not get the choice to change that setting based on our own preferences. Those who want more security and privacy can keep the limited notification lock screen view and those who want more convenience can change the setting to expandable notifications.

I really don't see the big problem in updating this and giving users the choice. Would keep everyone happy.