Answered

P20 Pro Unlock with Google Assistant

• 6 December 2018
  • 25 replies

If my phone is unlocked, it responds to OK Google correctly. However, if it is locked, OK Google brings up the unlock pattern. I have to manually unlock it before I can use the phone. This makes the facility useless when driving.

Is it possible to make OK Google fully unlock the phone?

Jamie.
icon

Best answer by Kiwi.bushy 13 March 2019, 06:17

I works now google has changed Assistant to personal results on lock screen..

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
You need to enable this within the Google settings on your phone, so go into settings, click on Google, scroll down to search assistant & voice, now click on voice, then click into voice match, then toggle on unlock with voice match. (This is how it's done on the mate 20 but it should be very similar for you)

Regards Jase.
You need to enable this within the Google settings on your phone, so go into settings, click on Google, scroll down to search assistant & voice, now click on voice, then click into voice match, then toggle on unlock with voice match. (This is how it's done on the mate 20 but it should be very similar for you)

Regards Jase.

Thank you, Jase. I have just tried this, but it is still the same: the phone responds, but I cannot get past the unlock pattern without having to manually input it.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

JAmie
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
You don't have secure lock enabled by any chance? That can stop it working as well
I shall have a look.
You don't have secure lock enabled by any chance? That can stop it working as well

I have checked. Secure lock was enabled, but removing it makes no difference. I still need to enter the pattern to unlock the phone.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
If my phone is unlocked, it responds to OK Google correctly. However, if it is locked, OK Google brings up the unlock pattern. I have to manually unlock it before I can use the phone. This makes the facility useless when driving.

Jamie.

Hey @Jamiea

This is definitely possible. I can use Ok Google to unlock. Are you using other Smart Lock features (e.g. trusted places)? Can you check whether Google Smart Unlock is a trusted agent? Just search 'trusted agent's from top of settings menu.

Jamie.
Hey @Jamiea

This is definitely possible. I can use Ok Google to unlock. Are you using other Smart Lock features (e.g. trusted places)? Can you check whether Google Smart Unlock is a trusted agent? Just search 'trusted agent's from top of settings menu.

. I am not using trusted places. I have just checked and smart unlock is a trusted agent. I noticed that it is the Huawei smart unlock, not googles smart unlock. So far, I have not found Google smart unlock. I shall have another look in the morning.

. Thank you for your help.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Once you have changed the settings perhaps just restarting the phone might just do it, definitely should work so it's probably just something silly that is stopping it.

Regards Jase
Once you have changed the settings perhaps just restarting the phone might just do it, definitely should work so it's probably just something silly that is stopping it.

Regards Jase

Jase,

I imagine that it is something silly, as you say, but I am unable to find out what.

I have set the option to allow Google voice to unlock my phone. However, I cannot find where, or how, to set Google Smart Unlock as a trusted agent. I can only find Huawei Smart Unlock, but even enabling that and restarting the phone fails to allow me to unlock the phone using my voice unless I enter the unlock pattern.

James.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Regards Jase
Jase,

I imagine that it is something silly, as you say, but I am unable to find out what.

I have set the option to allow Google voice to unlock my phone. However, I cannot find where, or how, to set Google Smart Unlock as a trusted agent. I can only find Huawei Smart Unlock, but even enabling that and restarting the phone fails to allow me to unlock the phone using my voice unless I enter the unlock pattern.

James.

Hi James,

Type in trusted agents into the settings Search bar and click on it. Google smart lock should show there with an option to toggle it on and off. Just found this myself on my phone so hopefully this is what you need to enable for everything to work.

Regards Jase
Userlevel 3

Jamie.

I have the same problem and can't figure out how to fix it, if you find out can you post how you sorted it cheers
Jase

This is what I see in Trusted Agents. There is nothing else.

Janes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Unfortunately it's different for me on the mate 20, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas to help 😢. Hopefully someone else can step in and help.

Regards Jase

Jase,

Thank you for trying. I appreciate it.

Regards,

James.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Jase,

Thank you for trying. I appreciate it.

Regards,

James.

Your very welcome,I enjoy at least trying to help 🙈
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi I also had this issue, it drove me mad!!
I set up a facial unlock then put my phone on a magnetic holder on the vent. When I call "ok Google" it starts the camera, sees me then unlocks and I can do whatever!!
Give it a go, 100% work's for me so hopefully for you!!
Woody,

That sounds like a sensible practical solution. Thank you for the suggestion.

I contacted Huawei directly to ask about this as well and was told that I would have to contact Google as Huawei consider it to be a problem with the Google product.

James.
Userlevel 2
For this to work, you can use a headset that has buttons, press the command/play button for two seconds this will activate Google assistant AND act as an unlock to allow the device to cooperate. Just found this out myself today as new to the P20. Its do with having passcode/pattern etc enabled and voice lock is considered low security. Assume using the button works because it treats it as it must be you trying to use it not just picking up someone else's voice nearby 🤔
this answers all your questions.... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I searched for a fix for hours only yo stumble upon this.
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_moves_to_discontinue_voice_unlock_on_android-news-33936.php

Sincerely,
Mournful American
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

At the moment the higher security profiles of our devices will not allow Google`s voice assistant to work while the screen is off. Usually for it to work with a lock screen, the assistant keeps the microphone on and searching for the key word to activate.
We are currently working on a alternative that will maintain our valued clients privacy and security while also facilitating the use of a voice based assistant.
I`m sorry for the inconvenience created and we thank you for your patience.

Best wishes,
Max
I was having the same problem - saying 'Hello Google' would only take me to pattern unlock which seemed a bit pointless. However, I have now actually gotten it to work.

I didn't make any changes in the 'trusted agents' menu. I found this guide which solved it -

https://devicehelp.singtel.com/huawei/p20-pro-android-8-1/apps-and-media/choose-settings-for-voice-control/

The menus seem are slightly different on my P20 Pro but the relevant part was getting to the settings menu on the explore page shown in step 3 & 4. On my phone I got to the explore screen by saying 'ok Google' then pressing an icon that looks like a compass in the top right of the screen that pops up.

From there

Explore Page - Menu - Settings

Clicked the 'Assistant' tab

Clicked 'Phone' under 'Assistant Devices'

Turned 'Unlock with Voice Match' On

My phone now will now unlock to my voice :D

Hope that helps!

EDIT - after I left my phone for a while, I got the message 'voice unlock has been paused unlock your device manually' so I guess we're back to square one :s
Userlevel 2
I have the same problem on my P10, I use my fingerprint to unlock (its no different to changing radio stations) then OK Google works.
I works now google has changed Assistant to personal results on lock screen..

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thank you for sharing this @Kiwi.bushy!
Userlevel 3
Cheers @Kiwi.bushy