Answered

Transfer apps to SD card

• 20 August 2018
  • 84 replies

I have a Huawei y6 2018 and got it 2 days ago. I have an sd card that I have put in my phone and it is connected. My photos are on my sd card however I would like to transfer my apps to the sd card to save space on my internal storage. I have looked everywhere but can't find how to put the apps on my sd card. Does anyone know how to move apps onto an sd card on a Huawei y6 2018?
icon

Best answer by Max 3 September 2018, 16:15

Hi Jess101!

Glad to hear to hear that you recently purchased one of our devices! Hope it will prove to be to your liking :D

Regarding your question, the EMUI user interface on our devices doesn't offer the possibility to transfer apps from the internal storage to the SD card. On the SD card you can only put multimedia files (photos, videos, music), documents and so on. So, the option is not available on our devices.

Hope this proves useful!

Max
View original

84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Jess101!

Glad to hear to hear that you recently purchased one of our devices! Hope it will prove to be to your liking :D

Regarding your question, the EMUI user interface on our devices doesn't offer the possibility to transfer apps from the internal storage to the SD card. On the SD card you can only put multimedia files (photos, videos, music), documents and so on. So, the option is not available on our devices.

Hope this proves useful!

Max
Are you ever going to change this as part of an update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Colin005!

We don't have any information at the moment if the function will be introduced as part of an update. However, your feedback has been duly noted and will be observed by our research and development team. Feedback from customers such as yourself is greatly appreciated :D

Max
Userlevel 1
Its all a commercial ploy.

Sadly my 16gb P9 lite ( which is in good condition and has all the functionality that I need ) now needs to be replaced .....just because it doesn't have enough memory. Apps and app updates have used up it's internal memory. Yes I could remove these apps to make room for the latest interface update but surely the purpose of such a device is the convenience of these apps.
Computers and smart phones needed to be replaced at one time for the huge advances in technology , today it seems that isn't the case . Technology is moving but not quite as fast. No manufacturer / phone can be future proof but they do know if your phone should have enough memory to last 3-4 years of normal use.
I have saved photos/videos and files where I can before anyone should suggest.

I think this is a ploy to ensure your need to swap your phone and buy another. Take for example a user interface that doesn't allow apps to be stored or transferred to an SD card.

I feel I've been shafted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@MartT

The app transfer option to the SD card has been removed for security reasons. Transferring apps to the SD card can cause the phone to freeze frequently, and so the option was removed to ensure a good functionality of the phone.

Max
Userlevel 1
That's more than rubbish, every other phone manufacturer offers internal to external app transfer. I've had a Huawei y6 for about a month now and I've only just realised this issue as I am unable to update current apps installed! Sorry but you could say that reason about the freezing as a disclaimer/recommendation and still have the option to move apps. Seems like a poor excuse and a weak promise that this may be changed as part of an update.
Will try to return this phone back tbh there's no way I'll last 2 years with this phone... 😑
Userlevel 1
I hope the emui Devs make changes to emui 🤞
The main reason for me to buy a new phone was the lack of enough space on my old phone.
Unfortunately my new Huawei 20 lite is even worse, because I can't move my apps to the sd-card.
So please, make this possible as soon as possible and let the users make their own choices!!!
My new honor 7a had full internal storage as soon as I had it - completely ridiculous to not be able to move apps across to my sd card. And I don't even have that many apps! I have a 2 year contract and I do not want to spend TWO YEARS doing a system clean up five times a day!!!

I'll be going back to Samsung as soon as I can if you don't change this feature. What's the point of making a phone that is perfectly functioning yet completely unusable because its too bloody annoying? So stupid!
My new honor 7a had full internal storage as soon as I had it - completely ridiculous to not be able to move apps across to my sd card. And I don't even have that many apps! I have a 2 year contract and I do not want to spend TWO YEARS doing a system clean up five times a day!!!

I'll be going back to Samsung as soon as I can if you don't change this feature. What's the point of making a phone that is perfectly functioning yet completely unusable because its too bloody annoying? So stupid!

Also I have issues receiving emails because of the internal storage problem. I run my own business and you are losing me clients! SORT THIS OUT.
Hi there
My name is Eric and I am new on this forum. I bought a Y7 2018 about a month ago and I would like to know how I can transfer the apps like FB and whats app onto the SD card to free up some internal space on the phone.
There doesn't seem to be an option to do that on the setting side of the apps.

Thanx in advance, your help is much appreciated.
Eric
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Eric,

Welcome on the community! I moved your topic to this thread about transferring apps to the SD card. Max, from our support team, posted the following:

Sorry to tell you that this option is not available. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
I have a p10 and this is awful, I enjoy the phone very much. I had bought a new sd card because I needed space then I just find out I can't sed apps to the SD card. This is a big no-no, I have been a fan of Huawei ever since the p9 came out. However this is making me reconsider my decisions. I really hope Huawei adds the possibility again in a future emui update, at least as a developer option, stating that you as user will entirely assume any consequences and accept the risks of it, ofc would be great if the update would indicate a safe measure. I really want the feature again.
Hi Eric,

Welcome on the community! I moved your topic to this thread about transferring apps to the SD card. Max, from our support team, posted the following:

Regarding your question, the EMUI user interface on our devices doesn't offer the possibility to transfer apps from the internal storage to the SD card. On the SD card you can only put multimedia files (photos, videos, music), documents and so on. So, the option is not available on our devices.Sorry to tell you that this option is not available. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanx for the reply. That is not good at all, what if I run out of internal data,what do I do then. Even the basic phones out there come with that option,big fail on the part of Huawei.😣

Hi Eric,

Regarding your question, the EMUI user interface on our devices doesn't offer the possibility to transfer apps from the internal storage to the SD card. On the SD card you can only put multimedia files (photos, videos, music), documents and so on. So, the option is not available on our devices.Sorry to tell you that this option is not available. Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Thanx for the reply. That is not good at all, what if I run out of internal data,what do I do then. Even the basic phones out there come with that option,big fail on the part of Huawei.😣

Max

I too am one of the angry people who think that they have been conned by Huawei with Phones and tablets that advertise that they had internal and external storage, but in fact because apps can only be installed on the internal storage and if you only have 16gb as I do on my T10 tablet.

I havent got many apps on the tablet but I now only have 1gb left and the tablet keeps crashing. I cant update the tablet because there isnt enough memory

It a shame because otherwise it great value for money but as it stands it is next to useless. Huawei you have got this seriously wrong. Release an update NOW!!!!!!
Userlevel 1

Hi Eric,

Max

I too am one of the angry people who think that they have been conned by Huawei with Phones and tablets that advertise that they had internal and external storage, but in fact because apps can only be installed on the internal storage and if you only have 16gb as I do on my T10 tablet.

I havent got many apps on the tablet but I now only have 1gb left and the tablet keeps crashing. I cant update the tablet because there isnt enough memory

It a shame because otherwise it great value for money but as it stands it is next to useless. Huawei you have got this seriously wrong. Release an update NOW!!!!!!

don't want to spoil you guys but you can't blame huawei if the apps manifest values don't support installing on sd card, however, if you want to try installing apps to your sd card then verify if your phone has a force allow apps on external storage, then maybe you can force your application to install on your external storage or sd cards. but doing so, some of the apps may not work as intended, they used to freeze and close.

if you want to verify if you have this settings, you can do this by:
  1. go to settings,
  2. scroll to about phone,
  3. scroll to build no, tap 3 times
  4. enable your developer settings.
  5. under developer settings, scroll down and check if force allow apps to be written on storage regardless of their manifest values is enabled, if disabled turn it on,
  6. to move apps on the sd card, go to your settings,
  7. select apps
  8. tap your selected application, tap storage
  9. check whether it can be move to sd card.
good luck.
This is such bs! I bought a tablet but this "feature" really let's me down to keep it.

I'm definitely going to return it because of this stupidity and not recommending Huawei to my friends AT ALL!!!!!

You're going to lose costumers because of this for sure.
Userlevel 1
This is such bs! I bought a tablet but this "feature" really let's me down to keep it.

I'm definitely going to return it because of this stupidity and not recommending Huawei to my friends AT ALL!!!!!

hi, you're angry, don't be, this was a long time issue since android marshmallow, so in anyway, regardless of phone brands, when they change the way apps can be installed. by the way, there are lots of ways you can transfer your apps to sd card. if your OS supports it, since you don't tell us what android system you're at, 6.0. , 7.0,.8.0,9.0, then you can download a 3rd party apps on play store, to move your apps to your sd card,or you can use other phone suite that supports this features. as i can see it, you are being angry for a one simple issue. why not try the following solution and see if this works for you.
> move your apps to sd card.
A. through apps settings.
> phone settings, tap apps
> tap app info
> tap storage
> move your apps to sd

B. via 3rd party apps
> go to play store
> download this app or this app
> install to your phone
> open and select the apps you want to move
> click move

C. 3rd Party Phone Suite
> download this mobile phone suite,
> connect your phone
> go to application manager
> select the apps you want to move
> select continue
the above were only ways to solve your issue there are lot more, I told my kids a joke, don't let your smart phones be smarter than you, it is built by machine which supervised by human, and so you are much more smarter than it, just be patience and keep your cool, and at the end, you're gonna love it. after all, phones were built for communication, call and text, others are just added entertainments. 😉

so please, just keep your cool and do the above ways to solve your issue, and let us know if it helps you.

good luck.
Hi Eric,

@Amy and Max

I fee in buying my Huawei tablet and will be advising everyone I know about this issue. On my device, the firmware and default appsthat you can't remove take up more than have of the internal storage. Your developers making the decision to deny the basic functioning of moving apps to the SD card is a rip off. Especially when the box the device comes in states that you can increase your storage with an SD card. Buyers remorse here. Hopefully, I can make sure my friends don't buy your garbage.
Latest Huawei phones does not have really the function to move apps from Internal storage to SD card but you can notice that if an SD card already mounted It will sync to the Internal storage which means you will now have a shared Storage. And that whenever you download any apps the obb and data file will be saved to your SD Card and the apk file will be the only installed to the Internal Storage, this will lessen the apps you installed to crash. Thanks!

hi, you're angry, don't be, this was a long time issue since android marshmallow, so in anyway, regardless of phone brands, when they change the way apps can be installed. by the way, there are lots of ways you can transfer your apps to sd card. if your OS supports it, since you don't tell us what android system you're at, 6.0. , 7.0,.8.0,9.0, then you can download a 3rd party apps on play store, to move your apps to your sd card,or you can use other phone suite that supports this features. as i can see it, you are being angry for a one simple issue. why not try the following solution and see if this works for you.
> move your apps to sd card.
A. through apps settings.
> phone settings, tap apps
> tap app info
> tap storage
> move your apps to sd

B. via 3rd party apps
> go to play store
> download this app or this app> install to your phone
> open and select the apps you want to move
> click move

C. 3rd Party Phone Suite
> download this mobile phone suite,
> connect your phone
> go to application manager
> select the apps you want to move
> select continue
the above were only ways to solve your issue there are lot more, I told my kids a joke, don't let your smart phones be smarter than you, it is built by machine which supervised by human, and so you are much more smarter than it, just be patience and keep your cool, and at the end, you're gonna love it. after all, phones were built for communication, call and text, others are just added entertainments. ;)

so please, just keep your cool and do the above ways to solve your issue, and let us know if it helps you.

good luck.

If it was that easy... none of those method worked obviously.
I have aquired a Huawei Ascend y550 which i would like to run Huawei Health on. I have installed a 16 gig micros SD card so there is enough space for it. But i cannot get it to take a new program of any type. it says there is no space. I have made the default the SD card but i still get the same anyone any suggestion or help?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Some users have commented on forcing the apps to SD in developer options. On my P20 Pro, the option is there in dev. options, "Force allow apps on external storage" but when you swipe the switch, it tuns on, then immediately switches itself off again!

Cheers

Steve
Ok so what I did was to remove a couple of programs to make enough room to download Health to the phone. which worked ok so I now have Huawei Health on the phone..
But I have now encountered another problem. next thing is to register user details, ~I start the registration. get to the The following permissions are required to use this app Internet, phone, SMS, so I click agree, I get the message unable to obtain data. please try again later. I have been tryin continually but get the same thing what can I do to rectify this ???
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Dunno if it's any help to anyone, but my P20 Pro (C432) now has Pie .163 on it and the Force Allow.... toggle in Developer Options now works. I've not tried to move apps to SD yet, but thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers

Steve