What to do when your battery drains in 3-4 Hours

• 3 September 2018
  • 24 replies
What to do when your battery drains in 3-4 Hours
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Community Manager
  • 2360 replies
You haven't even watched 5 episodes of your favorite Netlfix series and your phone starts to rebel? The battery drains very fast and lasts only 3-4 hours, even if fully charged. Here is what you can do about it.

Looking for a quick win? Turn off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS from the shortcuts menu if you are not using them. Or enable power saving mode.

Reducing power consumption with Phone Manager
Use the Phone Manager app to optimize performance and reduce power consumption.

Open Phone Manager and then touch Battery manager. You can:
  • Optimize performance: Touch Optimize. Your phone will check for power consumption problems and automatically optimize performance. To further reduce power consumption, see Optimizable issues. Select View or Optimize to adjust the power settings manually.
  • Restrict applications: Touch Protected apps and turn off the switch next to the applications that you do not want to run in the background when the screen is locked.
  • Close power-intensive applications: Touch Power usage firewall (power-intensive apps), select the desired applications, and then touch the X to close them.
  • Reduce the screen resolution: Turn on the Enable ROG power saving switch to reduce the screen resolution for lower power consumption.
  • Automatically close power-intensive applications: go to settings and then turn on the History of closed apps switch.

Let us know if this helps! Do you have some more tips and tricks? Share below and i'll add them to this article. 🙂

Want to know more about optimizing your battery life? Read this article.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
If my mate drops to 15% I'll stick it on ultra power save knowing i can send/recieve calls and texts for a good 5hrs+ plenty of time to get home.
I bay huawei P20 pro one month is the phone and the bettry go soul fast 100% and 4 hours 20% maybe this huawei not meke a good phones what now to do with this phone wen the battery keep 4 hours only ?
I take the phone cuz Riley have a good camera but the battery 👎🏻 Is not good
I always ensure my WiFi off when not being used, Bluetooth not on also. But it is the phone manager that I always use daily. Closes down things not needed. Preinstalled!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Markova1,

I moved your question and @Rick F's reply to this topic about battery drain. Please read this thread to find some tips on how to reduce power consumption. 🙂
Regularly (every 1 or 2 days) my P9 will do the power exhausted sequence when I have more than sufficient battery left (40-70%).

It sometimes does this when I try to take a picture, accept a phonecall, etc (things that I can believe may cause a slight spike in power draw), but a lot of the time it's just watching a youtube video or something.

When I then plug it in to charge it back up it will display roughly anywhere from 40-75% battery. Only then I am able to turn it on and use it again, with or without the external power source.

I am really disappointed in Huawei because other than this the P9 has been brilliant, much better than any iPhone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm not really in a position to buy a whole new phone, and somewhat reluctant to get an newer Huawei.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Try letting the battery run down to 1% then charge to 100 % then run down to 0% and then charge back to 100%.

Then carry on as normal.

That gave my p9 a new lease of life.

It is possible to replace the battery yourself or 3rd party but it would invalidate any remaining warranty.

I bought an official battery off eBay and replaced it but it was quite fiddly.

Again doing the charge-discharge sequences should give it a new lease of life though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @dew_it_real_gd,

I moved your topic and @chillphone's reply to this thread. You will find some tips on battery life in the article above. Will you let us know if this helped?
Hi @dew_it_real_gd,

I moved your topic and @chillphone's reply to this thread. You will find some tips on battery life in the article above. Will you let us know if this helped?

Not useful really, thats not my problem. It doesn't run out conventionally but too quickly, it just says it will shut down in 30 seconds then powers off (like it would if it was actually at 0%).

Also sometimes the settings are reset to their defaults, which makes me think it's some kind of fault and not settings that mean a lot of battery is used up quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @dew_it_real_gd,

Thanks for your quick response. I asked our support team to assist you in this topic. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @dew_it_real_gd,

Really sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing with the P9, may i ask have you done a factory reset since the issue has started manifesting? Did it change in its behavior after the factory reset?
Yes I tried factory reseting it but the problem still persists. I did put all my settings back to normal though, but unless this is a bug that wouldn't really affect it?

Also another problem that I didn't mention is that I am unable to access the 'mobile network' settings under 'more' in the settings tab, it acts weirdly.
The only way I'm able to access the settings is by changing the language to one other than English. If I do this I can navigate to mobile settings just fine, but when I switch back to English I still can't open the mobile network settings even through multitask.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @dew_it_real_gd,

Could you please PM me with a few details of the device, I will do my best to assist you further in this matter.

Best wishes,
Max
Yes I tried factory reseting it but the problem still persists. I did put all my settings back to normal though, but unless this is a bug that wouldn't really affect it?

Also another problem that I didn't mention is that I am unable to access the 'mobile network' settings under 'more' in the settings tab, it acts weirdly.
The only way I'm able to access the settings is by changing the language to one other than English. If I do this I can navigate to mobile settings just fine, but when I switch back to English I still can't open the mobile network settings even through multitask.

I am experiencing the same things! Battery drained in half day, 1% consumed every minute sometimes. If I have 70% of battery and turn on the camera, the phone go in not responsive mode, I have to force it to power off and when I turn on again the battery is empty. If I put it to charge, sometimes it starts to charge from where I left it before turning on the camera (70%). I had the same issue about the mobile network settings as well.
I started to have problem with this phone after a month that I bought it. I could survive to charge it more often but now it is ridiculous that I spent more than 700 Euro for a phone that I cannot use!
Hello there,

I have bought a P20 Pro at Dubai´s airport a month ago. I am quite happy with the device but the battery drains really fast for a phone in this segment. I have contacted Huawei FB in Taipei for several times but there is no answer.

I have followed all previous advises. Also I have change LINE and wassup theme in black. I am always in power saving mode but I have to charge the phone twice per day (even if I don´t use Netflix or Youtube).

Any RMA center in Taipei or other solution?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi all,

If you are still having problems with battery draining after trying the tips a reset might help. Please check out this topic or contact your local support team (UK).
I already done this before the problem. nothing works. my phone does recharge but it isn't doing anything about the drainage even on airplane mode or shut off. it keeps draining with nothing running in the background. I can't use the phone anymore for it only last 35 sec. when recharging the percentage goes from 0 to 6 in an hour but then few minutes later the percentage goes to 3 even though it's charging. I've been using this phone nearly 2 years now.

Btw it's a Huawei P9.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Gabby,

Have you been in contact with our support team? I think it's best to find a service center to get some more hands-on help with your issue.

Please keep us updated.
Hi,
I have the same issue. P9 shuts down after a few hours and says the battery is at 0%. When I connect it to the charger, it starts again and immediately shows battery is at 70%.
Thank you for your help!

I am experiencing the same things! Battery drained in half day, 1% consumed every minute sometimes. If I have 70% of battery and turn on the camera, the phone go in not responsive mode, I have to force it to power off and when I turn on again the battery is empty. If I put it to charge, sometimes it starts to charge from where I left it before turning on the camera (70%). I had the same issue about the mobile network settings as well.
I started to have problem with this phone after a month that I bought it. I could survive to charge it more often but now it is ridiculous that I spent more than 700 Euro for a phone that I cannot use!
Same here!! Very annoying
Forgot post an update, but I managed to fix the battery problem on my own (replaced the battery myself as I knew it was out of warranty already - water damage). No problems there at all now, still same problem with the network settings though. Not a huge issue as I never need to change it, but it's definitely not meant to do that.
Dr. Sir I'm using honor 9n good phone almost better phone and but battery life does not work all the time problems getting used to battery days 4 times charging battery battery life not good enough this phone. & plz solf my problem is that ok
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @Ratan Das , I moved your post here as this thread discusses battery issues. Hope it helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding battery problem days 4 times charging battery battery life not good enough