wish: Make Huawei phones android auto compatible

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 1 reply
Hi,
I've just bought a new car which has a build in media centre screen. This allows me to project my phone onto the car screen for media and satnav use and very quickly learnt that my P9 isn't compatible other than basic blue tooth connection.
I downloaded the android auto app and found it plays on my phone but still doesn't allow it to work on my car.
I can honestly say this is be best phone I've ever had but really want it to work. Now I am due an upgrade next month and would only change if it was for the P20 pro.
So to my question, will any of these phones ever have compatibility like other leading brands as it's really a downfall to Huawei and is it worth upgrading to the p20 if it means that will eventually be updated to work with the system??

52 replies

Userlevel 4
I would like this too.
Hi @Dani good to hear the P9 is your best phone so far. Maybe or Huawei-expert @Rick F can tell you more specific about your issue.
Thanks @jaap I'll send a message over. I've now ordered me p20 pro so I can only hope haha
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your wish with us Dani!

Huawei Wonder Arjay started this wishlist topic. Maybe you can share your wish there as well.:)

Did you receive your P20 Pro? Do you have the same problem with your new handset?
This is the comment I posted on EE forums UK:

I have the P20 Lite. When connecting my phone to the car via Bluetooth, all is ok. Yet, if I try to connect the phone via USB (this is for Android Auto, music), nothing happens.....apart from the phone gets a good charge. My car, Corsa, head unit doesn't see the USB connection. I've tried debug mode via USB, but this option resets itself when leaving the screen and even the phone shows that no USB device is connected.

My old S7 and even my wife's Sony ZX works well, so it must be the phone?

Raised a help ticket with Vauxhall, if the head unit has issues. Huawei said the phone is at fault. EE help deck..... not a clue what is wrong.

I've been on chat with Huawei... helpful but no joy. When I connect the phone to the car, via USB, my phone does not show any device connected and same fo the car head unit. Bluetooth works a treat. I've set the phone to Debug via USB, but when I leave that screen, that option resets itself 😞.

Any help would be grand.... would love to have the Android Auto/Google maps show on the car head unit.

Cheers
Mark
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@MarkPinsent

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regarding your inquiry, we've been made aware of this issue with Android Auto and we've been constantly working to improve it. For the P20 Lite, the update that solves the issue with Android Auto is scheduled to arrive in the last quarter of 2018 with the Anne-L01 8.0.0.149(C432) software version for the single SIM version and Anne-L21 8.0.0.150(C432) for the dual SIM version. So please keep an eye out for any system on your phone using System updates, HiCare or HiSuite on your phone.

Hope this brings more light!

Max
Thanks Max, really appreciate the reply.
Would it be possible on a date for update? EE have given me 3 weeks to return the phone and change for a compatible model. I have seen 3rd party links to the update but I don't trust them.

Kind regards
Mark
And what lessons have Huawei Learnt from this? Don't mess with things if they aren't broke.

Android Oreo/Pie has a very good application power management system, Huawei implemented their one that breaks hundreds of apps including Android auto.

I wish Huawei didn't try and turn Android into iOS, and break things for no reason. They would be in a much better place if they concentrated on making great hardware with stock Android software
I've just received my Mate 20 Pro which on the whole I am very happy with but want to bring to Huawei's attention that there's an issue with the Mate 20 Pro and Android Auto on EMUI 9.0.0.122
When using Android Auto receiving a call or opening the phone app turns the screen black and crashes the app resulting in me being unable to make and receive calls in the car right now, all other functions are working ok.
I tested my friends P20 Pro rubbing EMUI 8 in my car using Android Auto and that phone is working fine so the issue is specific to the Mate 20 Pro/ EMUI 9.
Hopefully bringing this to the attention of Huawei can get it resolved in a future update.
Is it possible for Android Auto or another Mirrorlink app to work on the Mate 20 Pro? I'm very disappointed I can't use this function as I assumed a top spec phone would support this!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi David,

Sorry to hear of the inconvenience you are experiencing . May I ask with what model car you are attempting to connect to?
If you can PM me with the IMEI and build number also a few details about the vehicle we will also flag this to the developers of Android Auto to facilitate them for a swifter update to include the latest phones on the market.

Looking forward to your reply,
Max
Hi. I just wasted my time taking my car to the dealership not knowing that it could have been a issue with my phone. You really need to fix this issue.
I have loved this phone until now. I am super disappointed since android car play is the safest way to drive.. please fix this ..
When will a update to fix this be coming out ?
Userlevel 4
What cable are you using to connect it to the car?
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
It is a big wish from all fans of huawei for Android auto compatibility.

I'm guessing such an commission due to licensing? #bestguess
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi Kelcie,

Sorry to hear of the inconvenience you are experiencing . Can you please let me know what is the model of your car?
Also, if you can PM me with the IMEI and build number also a few details about the vehicle we will flag this to the developers of Android Auto to facilitate them for a swifter update to include the latest phones on the market.

Looking forward to your reply,
Max
I have been very happy with my P smart but I have recently got a new Kia Rio. My phone connects by Bluetooth just fine. I installed android auto - the app will run, but when I connect to my car with a USB lead, it won't project onto the screen. I have been through the set up process in the car but the icon is greyed out.
I really don't want to have to go back to a Samsung phone but I also really want to use this functionality of my car.
Is there an upgrade or a fix?
Hi, I just bought my mate 20 pro. So far, its features are ok except the bluetooth connection with my car. I'm driving a 2016 kia rio hatchback. The bluetooth connects but I can't make or receive calls from my car. Is there a software update, app or setting that I need to use?

My previous iphone connects automatically for calls.

Thanks
It's clear that I'm far from the only one experiencing this problem.
Come on Huawei, please get it sorted. Soon.
Just got the recent update (9.0.0.171). The issue between my phone & my car has been resolved. Didn't expected this. But, a few days passed, I was surprised that I'm now able to receive & make calls in my car.

Hope eveyone else gets their phone issue fixed.

Thanks.
has an update been released yet what fixes the compatability issue with my huawei mate 20 lite regarding auto android if so can I have the link or instructions on what to do
cheers colin
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hello there,

I would like to inform you that the latest EMUI update (9.0.0.171) should be fixing the issues with most of the apps on the devices.

The update has been released officially and it would be made available on the most devices over the course of this month.

Please wait and the phone will notify you when the update will be made available. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Max
Hi Max,

I have Huawei Nova 3e. Software version 8.0.0.158. Everything works in Android Auto except for calling functionality. When I click the calling button, I get a black screen. Very rarely it sometimes shows the calling dialler or call history etc. As I understand I have the latest update for this phone. Please advise.
I'm looking to buy a Corsa sometime, but on other threads can see issues with Huawei phones. There appears to be a fix coming out soon...9....171, but is a software update going to be available for my mate 20 lite? I'm on EMUI 8.2.0 but no 9.0 version is yet available.

The consequence of no fix means I pay £1000 more for a Corsa model with full sat nav.
With my Huawei Mate 10 pro, Android Auto was working perfectly, that was up until the most recent update EMUI 9.0.

Now as soon as I plug my phone into the USB port it restarts and freezes on the Huawei welcome screen. Removing the phone from the USB and force restarting is the only way to get anything happening. Wish I'd never updated
Just as a fyi... I bit the bullet and bought a Vauxhall Corsa SRI 2018 version with projection system, blue tooth etc.

So long as I agreed to all the permissions when downloading Android auto while usb connected to vehicle with manufacturers cable, I am delighted to say it works fine for my mate 20 lite. Currently on EMUI 8.2.0.

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings