Question

P20 Emergency Calls Only

Hi. I've had a P20 for over a month now with a Virgin SIM all working fine. As of yesterday it now says emergency calls only. I've tried a Vodafone and 3 SIM and both work fine. I then tried my son's virgin SIM and had emergency calls only again. I tried my virgin SIM in another phone and it works fine.

Any ideas? I contacted Huawei service via chat who said they would investigate but no response yet.

I've searched on the internet which suggests this is an issue with Huawei phones

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Sounds like it could be an issue with your network settings. Try going to settings } wireless & networks } mobile network } access point name, then press the 3 dots in the top right corner and choose reset settings. Once it's done restart your phone.

If that doesn't work let us know.
Thanks, I tried that to no avail. I can only assume it's a hardware issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Hayesn!

I am sorry that the problem has not been solved.:(

Regarding your query, we recommend you that you follow the steps bellow:

1. Settings > Apps and notifications > Apps > More > Show system process > Dialler > Storage > Clear data/Clear Cache, go back and select Force Stop.

2. Settings > System > Reset > Network settings reset > Network settings reset again to confirm.

3. Then you have to return to Settings > Apps and notifications > Apps > More > Reset app preferences. At the end of the process restart the phone.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.:D

Julian
Hello

This past Sunday (Sept 16th) I purchased a Huawei p20 lite. I set it all up, put my SIM in and away I went. Everything worked fine for about 24 hours. Then on monday night I saw the phone displaying 'no service' in the upper left corner. Wifi works fine but i have no signal at all. Can't make or recieve calls, no mobile data. Tried all the usual fixes phone off and on again; take SIM out and put it back in but nothing worked. Left it overnight to see if it sorted itself out, thought maybe teething problems due to it being switched on for the first time but nothing had changed by morning. Popped the SIM back into my old phone - works fine, not a SIM issue. Tried a friends SIM on a different network in my p20 lite still no service. When I first turned the phone on it showed that there was a software update available so I updated. My phone is now running version ANE-LX1 8.0.0.147 (C782) which the phone shows is the most up to date sofware update.

I had heard good things about Huawei and that they made great phones but my experience with them in less than 24 hours of owning the phone has not been great at all.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @savagemessiah,

I moved your topic to this existing topic with a similar problem.
Could you check the steps in Julian's reply? Please let us know if it solved your issue. 🙂
Hi Amy

Thank you for your reply. I have tried the steps mentioned in Julians post but nothing has changed i still have no service shown in the top left corner of the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Where did you buy the phone from?
I bought the phone from Argos
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
savagemessiah wrote:

I bought the phone from Argos

Apologies for the delay in replying. Are you still having trouble with this? I see you tried the steps Julian mentioned, but have you tried a full factory data reset? As the issues seems to have occured after a software update I can only assume it's caused some sort of corruption, in which case a full factory data reset should fix it.
Hi Tony

Thank you for replying. I have returned the phone and got a refund so thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm afraid to say nothing worked for me so maybe I had a bad handset or maybe the update corrupted in some way. I did try factory resetting the phone and, like you, I thought that would fix things but it seemed that the update file remained on the phone which I thought was odd. I definitely updated the system software to the ANE-LX1 8.0.0.147 (C782) version and when I factory reset the phone this was still the version on the phone. Pressed the update option and was told no updates were available so maybe something had gone wrong during the download/install. Since returning the phone tho I have heard of an app called firmware finder which may have been able to help but too late now 😛

Thank you again for your help
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
@savagemessiah

Regarding Firmware Finder, that app is not recommended as it can install updates that were not approved by Huawei, which may lead to various software issues and even loss of warranty or phone root.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Max
Hi,

I am still having the same issues and followed Julian's steps. My phone is virtually unusable, please advise what I should do.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge
I've never heard of anything like this before, you may have done this, but if not, have you done a factory reset?

Check with the supplier of the SIM and the phone too and if still an issue, I'd get the the phone supplier to exchange the phone quickly.
Did anyone get a resolution to this? I'm having exactly the same problem abroad currently. Purchased a Huawei P20 Lite outright in the UK in August, then came to Australia where I am now living. Worked fine until the update when I first got to Australia, which resulted in intermittent service constantly. The first time the signal issue seemed to resolve itself automatically after a week or so, but the second update in October a few weeks ago the problem has returned, and it seems to be getting worse, with fast battery run-down and slow charging. I've tried everything including a factory reset which hasn't work, so I'm going to have to assume this is a hardware issue and I'll have to wait until I'm back in the UK to try and return this phone 😞 Disappointing to say the least as I really can't afford another phone.
Hello,

I too am having the same problem. I have followed Julian's suggestion and that has not helped.
I have done a factory reset too.
I have had the phone from new for about 6 months and it has been working fine until a couple of days ago. I am travelling on business in the USA, I really need a phone that works.

Is there proper fix for this?

Thanks.
Similar issue here.

I have the P20 dual sim.

Suddenly, since yesterday, the "Sim 1 Slot" just stopped working. The same SIM CARD on the "Sim 2 slot" works fine. (i've been using both slots for months)

Any suggestions? It's really a hardware issue? I've already tried the mentioned troubleshoot before.

thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi matheusmm,

Sorry to hear of the situation. If you have tried the above troubleshooting the only remaining course would be to send the device in for inspection by one of our technicians.
For the UK region we offer a postal repair service that you can make a booking for via mail, chat or hotline at https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/ .

Best wishes,
Max
Thanks Max.

I 'm based in Hungary. I see that we have a customer support here.
However This phone was a gift . I have the warranty on the box but not the "invoice" of the purchase.

Do you know if they would be able to use the warranty without the invoice?

Thanks again!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi matheusmm,

Each region has its own procedures. In general from my personal experience the proof of purchase is required, but I would advise contacting and inquiring directly with the local support because such requirements are dependent on the laws that govern the respective region.
I know it is normally impolite to request the invoice for a gift but if that is a option you could use, for electronics it is understandable and forgive-able 🙂

Best wishes,
Max
Same issue here. I bought a p20 lite in the UK two weeks ago and came to Brazil for a couple of months. I get a no service message every ten minutes if I have wifi and location services on. The 4G and calls don't work anymore. It gets sorted if I turn wifi and location services off but then in 10 minutes, no service again. I've tried all the procedures above but the only workaround I could find is to use "3G only" mode. With this workaround the phone is usable but 3G speeds are really bad. I believe that happened after the last update, 8.0.0.151 (C782). It looks like a software issue.
It is very annoying, is there a fix available for this issue?
I had same problem with a Mate 20 Pro (no connection to EE mobile network). I tried Julian's suggestion and it worked for me.
I arrived in Tenerife on Saturday. Got signal as soon as plane landed but lost it within an hour when we were in the taxi. After that, been loosing service (No service - no SIM card) on routine basis. Service usually comes back after restarting and can stay for up to an hour (sometimes less than a minute) but then drops. Battery has been draining and phone restarts itself routinely.
Did not have any of these problems since I got the phone a year ago including overseas trips.
I have tried Julian's steps above but has not worked for me.
P20 lite
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi all,

After following Julian's troubleshooting steps you are still facing the same situation, then I would kindly recommend to have the device inspected by our professional engineers at our official service center.
For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Or if you would like I can also facilitate this for you via PM.

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
I have a P20 Pro.

Last night the phone performed an update.

now no sim will work in the phone - it will not connect to any network

and says emergency calls only.

Is it a faulty update??

Cookie policy

By browsing our website, you accept the use of cookies on our site to perform analytics, provide you with ads tailored to your preferences and interests, and allow you to share content on social networks. Learn more about our cookies and manage them

Accept cookies Cookie settings