Answered

Honor Band 4 misses swim laps

• 19 April 2019
  • 9 replies

• Fearless Explorer
  • 5 replies
Hi, the problem I faced is that my Honor Band 4 miscounts the laps in the pool. Today it misses 9 laps in 80 laps distance, which is something like 11% error. The pool is standard 25 m. I am swimming with trainer since more than 10 years. So, it is supposed that if I am not perfect, at least my styles are acceptable.

I am wondering how the band detects the new laps and if I am doing something wrong?
icon

Best answer by Banduser17 6 May 2019, 23:36

Hi Edo,

I have documented several issues related to swim tracking in my thread below. I can relate to the missing laps; I experienced both lengths being combined (28 strokes per 25 y) and lengths being split (4 strokes per 25 y...Phelps can't even do that).
https://uk.community.huawei.com/other-wearables-51/band-4-swim-tracking-produces-useless-and-highly-inaccurate-stats-4387

I have used Honor Band 4 for a month now in master swim practices. I do not recommend this watch for serious swim tracking. Short swim tracking, like timing your 100 or 200 works totally fine. But it would not work well if you wanted to track over an hour 2k-4k yard swim workout. I do think this is a great device at this price range, but the poor customer support and inability to export data is a real concern.

I sent support the issues I documented in the thread. They only acknowledged 1 of 5 issues, and stated that that the inaccuracies were due to the GPS signals being interfered by the splashing waters while swimming.. I did not know that my Honor band 4 had a built-in GPS that is used to track distance. Besides this, there are also other issues that have been open for a long time, like unable to sync heart rate data to Google Fit.

I think the inability to export the stats is the worst to me. I can live with a terrible Huawei Health app if I could export the data I need so I can do my own analysis. But I can't export the data.
View original

9 replies

For the second time I noticed that the band is accurate in counting until 1400 meters, which is 56 laps. After that the problems starts and usually counts 2 laps as one (50 m as 25 m).

Anybody with similar problems?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @edo, welcome to the community!

We're sorry to hear that you've experienced certain inconsistencies using the band 4.

Have you tried unpairing and then re-pairing your devices? In some of the cases this boosts Bluetooth connectivity and increases accuracy.

Please let us know if this changed something!

Cheers,
Max
Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply.

As I am using the band for swimming, I do not think the problem has any relation with the Bluetooth. During a swim practice the band has no connection with the phone, as it usually stays in the locker and the Bluetooth connection is losed.

Any other ideas?
Hi all,

Does this device requires bluetooth connection while swimming? Or does it collects data alone and sends it to phone after pairing?
Hi all,

Does this device requires bluetooth connection while swimming? Or does it collects data alone and sends it to phone after pairing?

Sure, it doesn't. The band collects data during swimming practice and transfers it to the phone on next successfull connection.
Hi @Max ,

Here is an update. Yesterday I swam 2000 m, and the band detected 1775. Sorry for the attached non english screenshot. I didn't found how to change the language. Hopefully you will know the values meaning by its position.

The breaks were up to 10-15 seconds, but here there are some detected breaks as long as minutes. Also in the details some double laps are detected as singles.

Hi Edo,

I have documented several issues related to swim tracking in my thread below. I can relate to the missing laps; I experienced both lengths being combined (28 strokes per 25 y) and lengths being split (4 strokes per 25 y...Phelps can't even do that).
https://uk.community.huawei.com/other-wearables-51/band-4-swim-tracking-produces-useless-and-highly-inaccurate-stats-4387

I have used Honor Band 4 for a month now in master swim practices. I do not recommend this watch for serious swim tracking. Short swim tracking, like timing your 100 or 200 works totally fine. But it would not work well if you wanted to track over an hour 2k-4k yard swim workout. I do think this is a great device at this price range, but the poor customer support and inability to export data is a real concern.

I sent support the issues I documented in the thread. They only acknowledged 1 of 5 issues, and stated that that the inaccuracies were due to the GPS signals being interfered by the splashing waters while swimming.. I did not know that my Honor band 4 had a built-in GPS that is used to track distance. Besides this, there are also other issues that have been open for a long time, like unable to sync heart rate data to Google Fit.

I think the inability to export the stats is the worst to me. I can live with a terrible Huawei Health app if I could export the data I need so I can do my own analysis. But I can't export the data.
Hi @Banduser17 ,

Your list of issues cover my experience with Honor Band 4. And my conclusion is the same - it could be accurate for distance up to 500 m. and without changing styles too often. The band is unusable for tracking normal swim training where you have set of series with different styles, fixed rests, etc.

Yesterday for distance of 1800 m. it tracked 1125 m. In fact it didn't detected 550 m. in a row. I think that the sensors blocks at some moment.

About the GPS - Honor Band 4 do not have embeded GPS. It could use connected GPS from the phone is certain situations (by example outdoor runing), but defenitely it is not applicable for swimming. Here is and answer of such question by @Max: https://uk.community.huawei.com/other-wearables-51/honor-band-4-gps-2690#post17871

Well, anyway it was a good try with the band. I like the notification customizations. Unfortunately my primary goal was the swim tracking, which obviously isn't meaningful.

The next time I will try with more serious brand in swim tracking.
Recently started using the pool swim feature on Honor Band4 and noticed that lap counting was incorrect. The band missed couple of laps. I hope the issue gets fixed in the next update.