Answered

After the last update to Android Pie my P20 has become useless. Battery drain

I have been experiencing massive problems with my Huawei P20 (EML-L29) after the last update from Android 8 Oreo to Android 9 Pie a few weeks ago. From the very moment of the update the battery drains extremely quickly. Before it lasted more than one day now it´s very low by lunchtime. Besides, if you do not switch it off from time to time, it becomes very laggy.
I have tried all the possible solutions suggested in Huawei community forums such as:

- A factory reset: Didn’t work
- Wipe cache: Didn’t work
- Set apps not to run in the background: Didn’t work
- I tried to downgrade to the previous version with Huawei's HiSuite, however, the option “switch to other version” Does not show. Apparently Huawei has removed said option

In short my phone, that was working perfectly before the update, has become useless and there seems to be no way to go back to Oreo.
I live in the UK but I bought my phone online in Amazon.es (Spain), maybe there is some issue with the regions? Although, as I said above, I had no problem whatsoever before the upgrade. What can I do?
Is there any way to rollback to the previous version without HiSuite?
icon

Best answer by Pablotronch 10 August 2019, 00:49

SOLVED (sort of)
Taking advantage that I am on holiday in the North of Spain I brought my phone to the Huawei technical service in Santander.
They told me that these things happen at times after an OS update and that the best solution would be to flash my device and reinstall the latest reliable Android from scratch. So that's what they did: they installed the 9.0.0.293 compilation and, after two days of using my phone, I can say it is running perfectly, smoothly, with normal battery consumption and no trace of the misterious "entitlement" app.
They were very professional an fast and the fix was free of charge due to the warranty: thank you!
On the contrary, I am still waiting for a response to the Email I sent to Huawei Support UK about the issue the same day I first posted here...

So, in short, if you are having similar issues, flashing your device may be the solution (I guess... )

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Check what apps are using your battery first.
I'm the battery setting there is quite a lot you can do to identify issues that cause battery drain and problem apps.

I doubt that the issue is solely to do with the update to emui or everyone would have the issue.

Phone becoming laggy is 9 times put of 10 something to do with an app.
All the tools are there to assist with self diagnosis.

Thank you Plymalan
Believe it or not the issue started after the last system update overnight. In the morning the device was slow and the battery issue was clearly noticeable that day. Here you have the screenshots. If I could go back to Oreo to check what happens…

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
entitlement isn't in my app list but seems to be android app/service according to the icon.
this is using a fair amount of your battery;.
i searched for references to the entitlement app on android and on Motorola it's used to determine if you can tether or not.
see if you can stop it if you don't need it.
as you can see my battery is being used almost equally between hardware and software.
The system does not allow me to stop it. Besides, this “app” is only shown in the battery usage screen, but is not shown in the apps list or anywhere else. I could not find any information on the “entitlement” app on Huawei devices anywhere on internet which is weird.
Anyone has any idea?

Hi All,

I got the same problem. Since the update 9.1.0 on my mate 20 pro, the battery drains so fast.
Never happened before, I'm totally sure it's the update.
If I could just rollback to Oreo, I could check if the update is the problem.
Unfortunately Huawei's HiSuite, does not show the option “switch to other version” anymore.
Does anyone know why is that or if there any other way to downgrade?
Anyone knows something about the entitlement app? I cannot uninstall or stop it. Whatever the issue is obviously a matter of software. Help please!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
@Amy this one may need investigating.
The app called entitlement is draining battery but it seems to be related to LTE from my search online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for the tag @Plymalan. I flagged it for support with high priority.
Some more info that may be helpful. As I said before, the only place where I could see the "entitlement" app was in the "settings/ battery usage," but it does not appear in the app list and cannot be forced to stop or uninstalled.
Yesterday morning I looked in "settings/wireless & networks/data usage" and there it was entitlement! It actually had generated a huge traffic in the last weeks, which makes perfect sense...

I could block the app using mobile, background and roaming data and what happened then was interesting: for a while (2 hours?) the battery consumption seemed back to normal, when I went to"battery usage" (that had been always topped by "entitlement"in the last weeks) the app was not there and the balance between hardware and software usage was normal. The only issue I could notice during that period was that Google Discovery was empty and showed no news.
I thought that the problem had been fixed but, after using the phone a little bit, entitlement appeared again as the top battery consumer. I went again to "settings/wireless & networks/data usage", and saw that, while the mobile data continued to be blocked and showed no traffic, entitlement had started generating wi-fi trafic again. Unfortunately I cannot block that traffic...
Any suggestions? I am not using my Huawei at the moment since it is completely useless...

Userlevel 1
Its not an issue on my CLT-L09C782. I'm running 9.1.0.311 and using a 3 UK SIM.

It's disabled on my phone here:

Enabled here:

I have the same, p20 pro on O2 UK.
9.1.0.320 (c782e3r1p9). The entitlement process is draining the battery.
I hope this gets an update shortly or do I have to manually manage apps?
Userlevel 1
There is a new firmware being pushed - 9.1.0.311(E3R1P9patch01)

Who knows when or if we all get it though.
I'm on 9.1.0.311 (downloaded about a day or two ago).
Also noticed that within a 4 hour period more than 30% of the battery has been used. Before I could go more than 2 days on a single charge, now it seems I have to charge twice a day.

Nothing else has changed except the download. Never checked before, but since the upgrade I checked the apps running & sure enough - Entitlement is sitting there with more than 50% usage & consuming > 200mAh (more than 10x the next app's usage).
SOLVED (sort of)
Taking advantage that I am on holiday in the North of Spain I brought my phone to the Huawei technical service in Santander.
They told me that these things happen at times after an OS update and that the best solution would be to flash my device and reinstall the latest reliable Android from scratch. So that's what they did: they installed the 9.0.0.293 compilation and, after two days of using my phone, I can say it is running perfectly, smoothly, with normal battery consumption and no trace of the misterious "entitlement" app.
They were very professional an fast and the fix was free of charge due to the warranty: thank you!
On the contrary, I am still waiting for a response to the Email I sent to Huawei Support UK about the issue the same day I first posted here...

So, in short, if you are having similar issues, flashing your device may be the solution (I guess... )

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Pablotronch , great to hear the Huawei technical service in Santander help you resolve this. Thanks for sharing so others from the community might benefit.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hello all!

We are truly sorry for this issues related to the battery life of your devices, this must be very unpleasant.

Also, we are happy that @Pablotronch managed to find some kind of solution to this problem, please check out his comment, hopefully it will help you all.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further issues! You can send a private message as well, if you want this kind of assistance!

Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT