Question

Broken Screen Huawei P20 pro. Cannot back up data on laptop

• 14 March 2019
  • 6 replies

• Opening Fortune Cookie
  • 1 reply
Hi

My phone was stolen day before yesterday, we did manage to find it back dumped in a dustbin through google find my phone but unfortunately screens was completely being smashed and display is completely blank. When we try ringing the phone it does vibrates which I assume phone is working but screen is blank.I tried to back my data (Photos, contacts etc....) but its not letting me through HiSuite but its asking me to do enable HDB which I cannot as my display is not working. IS there any other way?
Hoping to find a solution here as some of the data (photos) are important to me and my wife as it has pictures of our 2yr old daughter and do not want to loose it.
Spoke to customer service and they said the cannot do anything and I'll have to send it to repair centre. Even if I send it to repair centre they will wipe off all the data and they wont help me with warranty even though its criminal damage and not accidental Damage. More important is to recover the data which I'll really appreciate if anyone could help me. I can provide phone details if needed.

Thank you in Advance

Regards
Nik

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Nik,

I am sorry to hear about the situation that has happened to you.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do from our side considering the GDPR law and the privacy protection rules as our customers are entitled to their privacy completely.

What I can advise you of- considering I do understand how important your data and photography memories mean to you- but do not recommend, is to have the device taken to a data recovery store. They may be able to recover your data from your device despise the broken screen, but only with your own accord for them to do so.

With the above said, I advise you to do as you consider best.

Best wishes,
Max
Hi @Max

Thanks for your reply and appreciate your feedback. I'll ask around and see if they can recover the data before getting it repaired.

Regards
Nik
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
It's a long shot, but I wonder if the touchscreen still works? If it does, you might be able to do it blind.

If you make sure the phone is on, and swipe up to open the home screen, then plug into USB and the USB menu will pop up. The option to Transfer Files is 5cm from the bottom of the phone. If you can enable that. you're in.

It might take a few tries, but with a bit of luck you could yet retrieve your data.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I just saw another thread and had an idea. You could buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter, plug it into your TV and see if it works. Then you could pop a mouse into the adaptor and bob's yer uncle.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve
Hey! I have a similar condition with OP. Thing is, I have a USB-C to HDMI connector, and I tried connected it to my monitor. But it's not automatically switch to Desktop mode, instead my phone screen is displayed in my monitor. The thing is, I have enabled password requirement after reboot, and I can't type the password even with a keyboard or a mouse (I was guessing the numpad pattern hundred times, and just click the areas).
So here's the review:
1. Screen cracked
2. No display
3. Touchscreen not working
4. ROM EMUI 8.1
5. Bootloader LOCK (No root, no custom recovery)
6. USB Debugging disabled
7. Password authentication after restart is enabled
8. Can display the screen on my monitor via USB-C to HDMI
9. Mouse and keyboard seems to responding, but not work when typing my password, the screen just freeze when I tried to do that and nothing happen
10. HiSuite acknowledge my device but can't do anything because I haven't allow USB debugging connections.
11. Data not sync to Huawei Cloud

I will not repair the screen because it's $250 exc. labor cost in my country, I preferred save my money to bought another phone. I want to access my data on the phone, Any suggestion?
Userlevel 4
Badge
Do your photos get backed up to Huawei cloud storage ? Or Google photos by any chance ?
You could retrieve them from there by logging in with a different mobile or computer perhaps ?