Answered

Google Pay issue on P20 with 9.1.0.311?

Userlevel 1
Hi all,

Since my EML-L09 updated to 9.1.0.311 yesterday morning, I cannot use Google Pay, as the app thinks I've rooted, or otherwise arsed around with the phone.

I've done a factory reset, but no change.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, has it been resolvable?

Thanks,

Grumpy.
icon

Best answer by BarneyT 8 August 2019, 09:47

Hello @grumpymike!

I'm truly sorry for this unpleasant issue!

In this case I would ask you to send me the build number and the serial number of your device in private message in order to have a better view on your issue.

I'm looking forward to your reply! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
View original

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @grumpymike , welcome to the community!

In this case I will suggest you to go to : Settings > Apps > Apps > Google Play Services then tap on the three dots on the top right corner and disable the updates.

After this step you can install the updates from Google Play Store.

Please let us know if this helped and don't hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

Regards,
Max
Userlevel 1
Hi Max,

Thanks for your response. When I try to uninstall the Google Play Services updates, I get the message "uninstalling Google Play Services unsuccessful"

Thanks

Mike.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Are all your apps up to date?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
There's a Google Pay update 29 july. I didn't even check myself until just now. My apps are set to automatically update too.
Userlevel 1
Hi Plymalan,

Thanks for answering. That version of the app appeared today for me, and I got all excited!

Unfortunately, it made no difference.

I've even tried clearing data on the app, uninstalling, then re-installing. Still the same 😞
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
OK.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scottyab.safetynet.sample

This is an app called safetynet which checks your device against the same validation that Google Pay uses.
Will help identify the issue. Not sure if we can fix it but we can get more info though.
Userlevel 1
Hi Plymalan,

Doesn't look so good....

Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Have you connected to a PC and used HiSuite to restore your phone yet?
I think there could have been an issue when your update was applied.
Userlevel 1
Hi,

I have no backup to restore from (seeing as the phone updated itself in the middle of the night), HiSuite says that there are no updates for my phone, and that my model is not supported for system recovery. I also tried to restore from the vol up & power menu, and it can't connect to the server to see if there is a recovery available.

Any other ideas?
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I had that issue when doing it on the device too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I had the last update available.
Oh well. I suggest adding a new user and seeing if Google Pay works there. You can use same email etc.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
If this works then your profile for the original user is slightly corrupted somehow. Determined to get it working.
Userlevel 1
I get the same safetynet error on my device but Gpay works fine here.

CTS fail simply means that the software version isn't certified by Google. This can happen when a manufacturer releases a software update or if Google revokes certification. Google did start revoking Huawei's certification status and they are no longer listed as an authorised certified partner:

https://www.android.com/intl/en_uk/certified/partners/
Userlevel 1
Hi all,

Since my EML-L09 updated to 9.1.0.311 yesterday morning, I cannot use Google Pay, as the app thinks I've rooted, or otherwise arsed around with the phone.

I've done a factory reset, but no change.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so, has it been resolvable?

Thanks,

Grumpy.

Did you use FF to force the update on your phone? The reason why I ask is that there are multiple releases of .311 listed and you might have have installed an incorrect version on your phone. They may all have the same filename but they are not all the same!

Installing an incorrect version or one not submitted by Huawei to Google for certification will result in the issues you describe.
Userlevel 1

Did you use FF to force the update on your phone? The reason why I ask is that there are multiple releases of .311 listed and you might have have installed an incorrect version on your phone. They may all have the same filename but they are not all the same!

Installing an incorrect version or one not submitted by Huawei to Google for certification will result in the issues you describe.

Evening Paul, Nope, I didn't force it - it happened OTA overnight. Most irksome - I've gone to pull my phone out to pay about 4 time already today!

Also, I did wonder if it was a certification issue, and maybe down to the orange goblin's protectionist Huawei hating policies - I'm just hoping that Google have a backlog of testing, and it'll be certified OK within a few days.
Userlevel 1
Give it a few days then... CTS profile match false is definitely a certification issue at Google!

Out of interest, Open Google Play Store, press on the three lines (top left), scroll down to settings and press on that, scroll down to the last option "Play Protect certification" - What does it say? Device is not certified?
Userlevel 1
Give it a few days then... CTS profile match false is definitely a certification issue at Google!

Out of interest, Open Google Play Store, press on the three lines (top left), scroll down to settings and press on that, scroll down to the last option "Play Protect certification" - What does it say? Device is not certified?

Yup, "Device is not certified". Grr.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
It can happen. Someone releases a build and skips a step.
Maybe they weren't quite ready to release it. It happens with other OS too.
Userlevel 1
Basically what this means is that the firmware on your phone hasn't been authorised/certified by Google. When a manufacturer releases a firmware update, they have to submit it to Google who in turn approve it (they do so by certifying it). Certification isn't issued by firmware version numbers alone and so two phones can contain the same version numbers and yet one passes certification, the other fails because in reality they are not the same firmware versions.

This I guess is a risk we take when forcing a firmware update (lesson learnt)! Although you did say that your phone updated automatically via OTA.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hello @grumpymike!

In this case I would ask you to send me the build number and the serial number of your device in private message in order to have a better view on your issue.

I'm looking forward to your reply! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
Hi
I have this problem too, I also can't use my fingerprint to open my natwest app however this is not a big issue for me, not being able to use gpay is!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you 😊
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Wendyl - please send the information @BarneyT requested, so the support team can investigate.

Hello @grumpymike!

All the best,
BarneyT
Hi

I'm having the exact same issue with my P20 - v frustrating ! Says that the software on my phone (since the automatic update to EMUI 9.1.0.311) is not compatible with Google Pay. Other than waiting for a new update, what else can we do?

Thanks!
I am experiencing the same issues after updating the phone. Huawei P20 single SIM on build 9.1.0.311 (C432E7R1P11). Google Pay did work before the update.
I have the same issue. Has been going on for a week now since upgrade. Is very annoying. My version and model is below: