Question

Huawei P20 personal opinions on GPS

• 4 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing the Huawei P20 but my current phone, the Huawei P9 lite, has been giving me serious GPS signal problems - the GPS arrow keeps on moving out of place and is always far off the actual location. I just recently moved to the Netherlands so I'm not sure if it was has to do with the fact the the roaming signal might be weaker. So I was hoping that all P20 users could share their experience regarding the GPS/google Maps and the phone in general.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ricardo

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Rdf_richy,

Let me tag some P20 users for you: @gillysixpence, @Ginger, @Jakub S, @BeardyDad, @Master1985. Any thoughts about this? 🙂
Userlevel 3
Hi there, I don't take that much notice of the GPS to be honest on mine so can't advise there other than to say I have my turned on and it does it's thing as far as I'm aware. As for the P20 in general I'm very happy with mine. I've had it since December I think it was and so far there isn't anything that I can really quibble about. The battery life is fantastic, I've never had such good battery ever, I was a Samsung galaxy girl for the last 3 models and batter was nowhere near the P20 so if ever there was a good reason to get a phone there it is! It does everything I want and need it to, the camera is fabulous, it's fast and looks and feels lovely, though I have mine in a case as I have bad hands and tend to drop things! I like it so much I recommended it to my daughter in law who was trying to decide between that and another brand and she got hers this morning, so I hope she's as pleased with hers as I am mine. For the money it's as good as the Samsungs, but the battery beats it hands down! One thing I would say is to watch the battery optimisation and check there first if you find any apps stop sending notifications. I only had issue with one medication app which needs to always run but a quick switch to manual battery handling in the settings for that app and boom, notifications are back.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of purchasing the Huawei P20 but my current phone, the Huawei P9 lite, has been giving me serious GPS signal problems - the GPS arrow keeps on moving out of place and is always far off the actual location. I just recently moved to the Netherlands so I'm not sure if it was has to do with the fact the the roaming signal might be weaker. So I was hoping that all P20 users could share their experience regarding the GPS/google Maps and the phone in general.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo, I navigated with P20 for thousands of miles using Google maps and it has been very accurate, even predicting trajectory without GPS, like through tunnels etc. It also works well with Android Auto if the vehicle supports it. Also, GPS is a global system so the change to the Netherlands shouldn't affect performance. I took my phone North of the Arctic Circle in Finland and used it to navigate a snow hike with high precision. Also consider that Mate 20 Pro supports Dual Band GPS (L1 + L5) for even better accuracy.
Userlevel 1
Thank you so much for the answers! It made me feel the problem wasnt the phone but some external factor (maybe?) 🙂 By the way, if you don't mind, can you hop over to this thread to give me your input: https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/notification-handling-on-huawei-phone-with-android-oreo-or-pie-2125
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you so much for the answers! It made me feel the problem wasnt the phone but some external factor (maybe?) 🙂 By the way, if you don't mind, can you hop over to this thread to give me your input: https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-a-question-faq-s-3/notification-handling-on-huawei-phone-with-android-oreo-or-pie-2125

My pleasure, I commented on the other thread too.