Answered

Is the display of the Huawei P20 always on?

Userlevel 1
Huawei p20 have always on display?
icon

Best answer by Arjay 19 August 2018, 11:39

Hi @Zazadevi ,

I believe that the always-on-display feature is only on the P20 Pro and not the P20.

With the P220 Pro, the settings would be found :-
  • Open the Settings App and select Security and Privacy
  • Tap on Screen Lock and Passwords
  • Tap on Always Display Information to enable the Always-on-Display to run 24/7 or schedule it to turn on and off at a certain time
Hope this helps?
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Yes, it does.
Userlevel 1
My phone do note have. Dark menu also.
Pleas help.

Userlevel 1
Dark setting interface is under battery.

Badge +1
Hi @Zazadevi ,

I believe that the always-on-display feature is only on the P20 Pro and not the P20.

With the P220 Pro, the settings would be found :-
  • Open the Settings App and select Security and Privacy
  • Tap on Screen Lock and Passwords
  • Tap on Always Display Information to enable the Always-on-Display to run 24/7 or schedule it to turn on and off at a certain time
Hope this helps?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Arjay is correct, apologies I misread your question. The Pro uses an OLED display which supports always-on whereas the P20 has an LCD display.

Before I posted this I checked a few sources and there's actually a few well respected tech websites and YouTube channels claiming that both devices support the always on display, so there's a lot of misinformation out there.
Userlevel 1
:(((

Badge +1
Thanks for the clarification @Tony .

Does that resolve your query @Zazadevi ? It may be time to give your P20 to a loved family member and treat yourself to the Pro 😉
This topic is misleading. This is not "always on"! Apart from showing the clock, the phone is asleep and the scren has to be swiped and password entered before it comes "alive" again. I am trying to find a way to keep the phone on - all the time - for when I want to set the phone up on a tripod and take a photo with my remote control - and that may be 30 - 40 minutes wait for the right circumstances. And the phone is not accessible during these 40 minutes, so I can't keep "waking it up"
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Pysifr,

I think what you are looking for is the 'Sleep' timer.

This can be found by going to Settings > Display > Sleep > select Never.

Make sure that you do not have a battery profile enabled as the 'Sleep' option will not be available and grayed out.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!😀
Max
Max,
Thanks for getting back to me. I had already found those options, but the "sleep" options only go as far as 10 minutes - and there are no battery saver modes selected (see screenshots below). And another issue is the camera app itself. After 60 seconds of inactivity, it goes to sleep and the screen has to be tapped to wake it up. There seems to be no possibility to keep the camera "awake".

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Pysifr,

Thanks for providing pictures and additional info about your situation.

At the moment the "camera lock" is automatically enabled on all devices, but we understand why you'd like to disable that.We value feedback like this a lot.

We will make sure to pass this on to our developments team so they can possibly change these options in upcoming updates.

Cheers,
Max!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hmm....

From the above advice I think I can see that you used to have an "Always On" option and and a display sleep of "Never".

I don't have these on my P20 Pro under Pie 9.0.0.203.

As mentioned above, the features would be very useful when taking a long time to line up photos.

I wonder why Huawei implemented these and then removed them?

New software = new features, not less.

Cheers

Steve
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
After downloading a bunch of "Keep Awake" apps from Google Play and none of them working with the camera app, I tried the Developer Options/Stay Awake trick.

A couple of the apps worked on keeping the main screen on, as did the developer options, but nothing works with the camera app and you get the dreaded message:

code:
Touch the screen to activate the camera

This appears to be a camera specific "feature" that does not honour any system settings.

If you're lining up an exact shot, you don't want to be touching the screen all the time.

A workaround is to go to Settings/Display/Sleep but as mentioned above, this now only gives you 10 minutes grace.

When Huawei decide not to support a feature, they really do push the boat out and make sure no-one else can support it.

Another camera bug!

Cheers

Steve