Answered

P20 Pro camera issue: black screen

• 14 August 2018
  • 25 replies

Hi,

I seem to be having issues with my camera, it has been working absolutely fine and I've been using it loads (much better than the iPhone lol), however when I go into it now its just a black screen? almost like something's been stuck over the rear camera (it's not though), there also seems to be a delay when I'm trying to click on things within the camera? just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the camera and if their is a fix for this?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Julian 15 August 2018, 17:10

Hi Grant Mcl!

We are glad that you are using our device.

In response to your question, we recommend that you write a private message to us, as we would have to ask for some information in order to send the phone to the technical service so that it can be analyzed.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.😀

Julian
View original

25 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

Please can you let me know if this is the P20 or the P20pro? also please can you let me know if this is front or back camera?

If its the back can you try using the 5x zoom as this is a different lens to the other two.

Could you upload a screen shot of what your seeing?
Hi

I'm using the P20 Pro, the issue seems to be with my rear camera, my screen has totally locked just now and wont let me select anything with the camera app, I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm seeing.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Hi,

Have you tried clearing the camera cache?

1. Open the settings search for "apps"
  2. Pick the application that you want to clear the cache for " Camera "
  3. Click on storage
  4. Tap on the Select Cache.
Let me know if this works.
Userlevel 4
You could also try clearing data too, its in the same screen. This will only delete any saved setting in the camera app, it wont delete photos or videos.
Hi,

Yeah I tried clearing that but its still showing me the exact same black screen when I got into the camera and it wont let me select anything, screens totally frozen in the camera app?
Userlevel 4
Have you tried a factory reset? i know its the last thing you want to do, but it might be the only option left.
That's what I was thinking id have to do, just wondered if there was maybe a way round it, its an odd one considering the phone is only two weeks old lol. Thanks a lot for your help anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Grant,

I'm happy to see that @Crawshaw09 is helping you with your issue. :)

I hope the factory reset will solve this problem. Please note that a factory reset will remove all data from your device. Before you perform a factory reset, please check out the options for backing up and restoring your data.

Let us know if the reset solved your problems. And if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Hi

Thanks loads for your help, the factory reset didn't seem to work either still got the same black screen.

No idea what to do now.
Userlevel 4
Wow that is pretty bad, has the phone been dropped or banged? is there nothing stuck over any of the 3 camera lenses?

I would suggest opening the App HiCare on your phone and talking to Huawei direct on this.

Or the last option would be to speak to your network 1st to see if you can get a replacement handset or if they cannot help speak to Huawei as you get s 2 year warranty with the device.

Sorry i couldn't help you more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll ask someone from our support team to help you out! 🙂
Thanks both for your help, I'll try all of these things as I've really got no idea what's happened with the camera.

CrawShaw09 - Phone hasn't been dropped or anything and no nothing stuck of the camera lens (I've been using it up until the other day)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Grant Mcl!

We are glad that you are using our device.

In response to your question, we recommend that you write a private message to us, as we would have to ask for some information in order to send the phone to the technical service so that it can be analyzed.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.😀

Julian
Userlevel 4
Grant, you get this sorted out ?
Hi
I have a similar black screen though I only get it in the camera app in my p20pro.
I get it when the back screen camera is used and the camera app is open for a while and I zoom in and out, for eg to wait and be ready for a perfect street photography moment.
I think there is a sw bug with zoom in and longer durations, I get the dialog to clear the cache but it doesn't help to click. I have to reboot to get the camera working again. Though that helps it is an annoying bug.
Thx for any help and update.
Peter
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Peschä

I`m sorry to hear the situation. Have you attempted a factory reset to the device?
Hey,
I reset the camera at least, must be the camera app!

Try to reproduce, just zoom between 3 to 10 times and leave the camera on for a while and also touch the refresh screen after timeout. Repeat a few times and sooner or later the black screen problem will happen.
In my case only reboot helps.
My camera app refuses to open at all. Tried deleting the app cache and data. Eventually did a full factory reset. Nothing different. Could it be a hardware issue?
I have just bought a P20 Pro and the first thing I did was try the camera but the camera app seems to crash and just freezes. None of the buttons react to pressing.

I have installed the open camera app from the play store and that seems to work fine, so no physical issue with the camera.

So it must be a software problem, so why isn't everyone else getting this? Are there any fixes for this since the original post? Will it fix itself when I get the update to EMUI 9.0?

I've tried all of the above fixes (cache, factory reset) and the camera app still won't work.

Any help before I send it back and get a different phone?

Thanks

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

Since we're currently release the update for EMUI 9 for the P series, if you will encounter the same issue after the update, I will advice you to contact us back and we will review your cases further.
If you will encounter the issue even after the update, just PM us with the serial number, build number and #freezecamera.
Thank you all for understanding! :)

Best wishes,
Max
What a shame, I seem to be having this exact problem... Only got my phone today and the camera has not worked since I got it... And it's the main reason I got this phone! Screenshot above is exactly what I see when trying to use the back camera. Weirdly it works just fine if I use WhatsApp or third party camera apps so this is not a hardware issue to my mind. I also discovered after some trial and error that the selfie long press app option works just fine but it freezes whenever I try to switch to the back camera. Spoke briefly to Huawei support today but just to confirm : is the only way to fix this problem to send the whole phone and its kit back to the retailer or is there any software bug fix I can install to avoid this hassle? How common is this problem..? Seriously considering to get a Samsung instead a first impression is not that good!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @BexKC,

If this issue persists on your device, can I please ask you to PM me the Serial Number of your device so I can look into this further?

You will find this information either on the box of the device or on Settings > About phone > Status.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best wishes,
Max
Same problem. Selfie camera is working, video and night mode also. It freezes on other modes.

emui version: 9.0.0.195
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @diodac,

Welcome on the community! Sorry to see that you are having the same problems.

Please send your Serial Number to @Max in a PM or contact our hotline directly for assistance: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/