Question

P20 Pro mic not working

• 17 March 2019
  • 20 replies

Hello

I moved from samsung and others to huawei and got the p20pro
but I have this mic problem which render the phone useless !!!!

the problem is as following :

1- restarting the phone . all good
2- go to private space then back to main space ... tada mic stops working at all
not in calls or videos or sound recorder ... as if there is no mic !

what I tried :

• removing the permission of mic from all other apps like google sound assistant and others . > did not fix it ! also I need the google sound assistant .
  • trying not to use private space !! it fix the problem but I really need its like an other phone !!! if its not for the private space I wound be go with other phone cheaper and don't have to pay ton of money for super camera that I don't need !
  • updates : my phone have the latest update .

this is really annoying like the battary and every thing is amazing !!! but a phone that you can not talk on !!! really !! this is not a phone its like less than a tablet !

I wish you take this sirously and fix it ASAP !

20 replies

Can you preform a wipe data and format reset from the recovery (restart phone and power + volume up) see if thats helps
Can you preform a wipe data and format reset from the recovery (restart phone and power + volume up) see if thats helps
No I don't prefer to do that
thats the only option you got fettah24
and whats about your warrnaty? if your device is still under warrnaty you gota go to the nearest huawei's support service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @fettah24 ,

We are really sorry to hear about the unpleasant situation you're facing at the moment.
Given the fact that you have tried in the situation that we have here the last step is the Factory reset. We highly recommend you to proceed with the Factory reset so we can establish if it is a Hardware or a Software issue.
Beforehand a back up is recommended in order to keep your data.
Here you have the steps for the factory reset:
To factory reset the device, you simply have to power off the device in question. Once it is off please press and hold the Volume Up Key and the Power Button for about 30 seconds. The device will then boot into a new menu with only 3 visible options. The middle option is the Factory Reset that we are looking for. After the device finishes the reset it will come back to this particular menu - to leave the menu just tap reboot system now ( the last option in the list ).

Hope this helps 😀,
Max
Hey @fettah24 ,

We are really sorry to hear about the unpleasant situation you're facing at the moment.
Given the fact that you have tried in the situation that we have here the last step is the Factory reset. We highly recommend you to proceed with the Factory reset so we can establish if it is a Hardware or a Software issue.
To factory reset the device, you simply have to power off the device in question. Once it is off please press and hold the Volume Up Key and the Power Button for about 30 seconds. The device will then boot into a new menu with only 3 visible options. The middle option is the Factory Reset that we are looking for. After the device finishes the reset it will come back to this particular menu - to leave the menu just tap reboot system now ( the last option in the list ).

Hope this helps 😀,
Max

I will try it when I have time

But for now if you Google the problem many people are having it

With same sinario as me

It's 100% software problem
Related to switch to private space and back

You should test it and take it serious to add in next update

Can you test it on any p20 or P20 pro you have
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @fettah24,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I will forward this to the development department, so this will be considered for a future update.

This will be tested and measures will be taken on system upgrades.

If you have any other questions or inquiries, do not hesitate to let me know! :)

Best wishes,
Max
I have exactly the same problem with P20 pro. I have to restart the phone to get mic back to normal
I have exactly the same problem with P20 pro. I have to restart the phone to get mic back to normal
me too my friend still having the problem with no real solution yet

try google the problem like 1 year many shitty updated and still they did not fix it

my be we should get this to the media I think there is some people will be happy to hear that
in the flag ship of the 2nd phone seller there is this kind of very big problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi all,

If you are still facing the same issue with the microphone of your P20 device, could you please run a diagnosis analyses from HiCare?

Open HiCare > Smart Diagnosis > Manual > Microphone.

After the diagnosis, if you receive there is a fault with the microphone, I would recommend having the device inspected by one of our engineers at the service center for a more hands-on approach.
For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/

Hope you found this helpful.
Best wishes,
Max
I did one workaround which is still valid till now. I had to sign out from google account on the private space. it seems when I sign in with the same google account in main and private space, this issue is appearing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I did one workaround which is still valid till now. I had to sign out from google account on the private space. it seems when I sign in with the same google account in main and private space, this issue is appearing.

Thanks for finding a solution!
Have exactly the same problem. Tried to log out in private space - doesn't help. In my case actually it seems the mic works for like fraction of the second (every time) then it is cut out. If I reboot the phone mic works just fine until it starts doing it again P20 Pro.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Hobbit,

Welcome on the community! Don't forget to introduce yourself here.

Sorry to see that you are having the same issue. Have you tried the diagnoses mentioned by Max in this thread?

Hi all,
If you are still facing the same issue with the microphone of your P20 device, could you please run a diagnosis analyses from HiCare?
Open HiCare > Smart Diagnosis > Manual > Microphone.
After the diagnosis, if you receive there is a fault with the microphone, I would recommend having the device inspected by one of our engineers at the service center for a more hands-on approach.For the UK region you can arrange the service booking via mail chat or hotline (at 08000886700 free of charge of course) via https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Hope you found this helpful.Best wishes,Max
Hi Amy,

that's not diagnosis, it's absolutely useless tool which just tries to record something and then it asks you if you hear something played back. Of course I don't hear anything back. I tried voice recorder and it does record like 0.60 seconds, then it is cut out with strong click sound and nothing is recorded after that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@hobbit given the diagnosis tool didn't help, can I suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/.
I got the same problem here ! I did everything even send it to huawei support I just received it and the only thing they did was to reset the settings to factory default and they reflashed the software! So the first thing I did was to make a call even before putting my old data back and SURPRISE ! ....Same problem....So I loveee the camera and all but it's the last time Im going to buy a huawei...too bad otherwise I really love it but it seems like they don't have a proper solution...I don't want to have to activate airplane mode everytime I have to make a call!!! Or the tell the person that is calling me hold on I need to restart my phone so you can hear me! And it's a pain when it's important calls....Can't believe there is no solutions for all us people having the same issue
Hi huawei support guys... I'm from south Africa and have my P20pro just about a year now and it has this mic problem. Tried reset, permissions... All the stuff from here bar taking it in to the store... Which they will just do factory reset.... Which doesn't fix the issue. Do you guys at huawei not have these issues with the devices you have?! It's a global issue and you people are not addressing it.... I really love my huawei... But you guys will start losing support if this is how you go about business

Hey @fettah24 ,

Hope this helps 😀,
Max
I will try it when I have time

But for now if you Google the problem many people are having it

With same sinario as me

It's 100% software problem
Related to switch to private space and back

You should test it and take it serious to add in next update

Can you test it on any p20 or P20 pro you have

I have this same issue and I haven't been able to fix it.
I'm getting this same error, it's such a shame support team don't patch this. I really love my phone, but a phone it's for making calls, otherwise is bullshit.