Question

Volume problems on video calls, facetime, etc P20 Pro

• 28 May 2019
  • 6 replies

I've had the p20 Pro for the last 4 - 5 months and noticed recently whilst facetiming a family member that there was an issue with them hearing me when I was speaking. I initially put this down to poor reception. However it is becoming apparent that it is not to do with reception but my phone. Those I video call are having to lip read. Please could you advise me how I rectify this. I've gone through all sounds settings.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Open up the hicare app and tap on smart diagnosis, then tap on manual. Now tap on microphone and follow the instructions. This will rule out a hardware issue first. If that's ok we can look into different settings that might be causing your issue.

Regards Jase
Hi thanks for the response. I've done that and sound appears normal
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Ok, so if the microphone is working it's perhaps the app you are using not having the correct permissions enabled. To check this, go into settings,apps, then apps again, scroll down to whichever app your having the issue with and tap on it. Now tap on permissions, and make sure microphone is enabled. Hopefully that's all the problem is.

Regards Jase.
i @Jase:
I don't think it's a permission issues as I'm having similar scenario with my P20. I'v checked for System upgrades and mic permissions in different apps. It seems that when I'm doing a video call or having my loudspeaker on for some reason, then the mic doesn't work. However, the mic will work perfectly during sound recording or any other call type without using loudspeakers.
I'm thinking that it could be a system software issue since my phone was recently upgraded to EMUI 9.0
I'm in the process of downgrading to EMUI 8.1 using the Hisuite App, will post her if I get lucky with a solution.

Regards
@Jase , Just a quick update that I'v tired to downgrade to EMUI 8.1 but it was not the problem, I sent it on Saturday for Huawei service centre, they said it could be a hardware issue, if it's not repairable, they will replace the whole motherboard.
Let's see.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
@Jase , Just a quick update that I'v tired to downgrade to EMUI 8.1 but it was not the problem, I sent it on Saturday for Huawei service centre, they said it could be a hardware issue, if it's not repairable, they will replace the whole motherboard.
Let's see.

Hopefully it gets fixed quickly for you, total pain in the neck but at least they should get to the bottom of the issue.

Regards Jase