Answered

brand new p30 bought from China. Can't play pokemon go, can't download netflix

• 19 April 2019
  • 4 replies

• Fresh Fortune Cookie
  • 0 replies
Hi, All

This is my first "upgrade" from years of iphone usage. I am super happy with the new p30's overall performance. However, I just found out that I can not play pokemon Go with it. After extensive research, it seems the p30 I bought from China can not pass google saftynet test, which pokemon go uses to decide if the device is rooted or not. Also I can not download netflix, according to the troubleshoot guide from netflix, I found out that my google play is not play protect certified.

Considering these 2 apps are 2 of my most used ones, it's really disappointing.

My question is:
  1. is it because this is a China version of p30? However, my friend bought a mate20 from China too, his phone shows as play protect certified, thus he is able to download netflix. He doesn't play pokemon go so no comment on the safetynet test. I might ask him to test to see if his phone can pass safteynet test or not.
  2. is there a workaround?
I really life the phone, and I am bragging it to all my friends and coworkers. I just hope I can play pokemongo and netflix then it's perfect.

Thank you very much!
icon

Best answer by Jase 19 April 2019, 23:21

Yeah it's definitely because the phone is meant for the Chinese market unfortunately, we've had other members with the Chinese mate 20 pro's and they've had other issues as well, not being able to sync contacts to your Google account etc. I'd suggest trying to get help via the XDA developers forums where you should be able to find folk with more relevant skills to help you.

Regards Jase
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Yeah it's definitely because the phone is meant for the Chinese market unfortunately, we've had other members with the Chinese mate 20 pro's and they've had other issues as well, not being able to sync contacts to your Google account etc. I'd suggest trying to get help via the XDA developers forums where you should be able to find folk with more relevant skills to help you.

Regards Jase
Did you get anywhere with this? i'm in the same situation, but also cant use NFC for barclays or googlepay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
The device isn't compatible , you will unfortunate be unable to root and load stock android either.

Potentially your saving grace could be the Huawei rumoured new OS which you should be able to load on to the device when launched. This will have back compatibility with play store apps etc.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I think what will be missing is widevine. This is installed on European phones and offers Digital Rights Management for apps like NetFlix but is missing on true Chinese phones.

There's a help thread on XDA here:

[HELP THREAD] Ask any questions (Noob friendly)

Best of luck 😁