Curved Edge - Mate 20 Pro, P30 Pro etc

• 24 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Dumb question but just curious what the issues are with curved edge display like to recent pro units. I hear a lot of ranting by Youtube reviewers about how much they prefer flat screen. But coming from a Pixel 2XL to a P30 Pro, it feels a whole lot nicer to operate with one hand and also more comfortable in the pocket. Ergonomically it seems to make sense; I'm neutral about how it looks. Just like it as it is more comfortable to use. So, what am I not getting that the power users out there are experiencing ... just curious and trying to get more informed. Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi Travor,

Thanks for starting this thread.

Maybe @DRSC Media @TechZilla @chillphone @Chris @Tboy2000 can share their thoughts?
Userlevel 4
Dumb question but just curious what the issues are with curved edge display like to recent pro units. I hear a lot of ranting by Youtube reviewers about how much they prefer flat screen. But coming from a Pixel 2XL to a P30 Pro, it feels a whole lot nicer to operate with one hand and also more comfortable in the pocket. Ergonomically it seems to make sense; I'm neutral about how it looks. Just like it as it is more comfortable to use. So, what am I not getting that the power users out there are experiencing ... just curious and trying to get more informed. Thanks.
I think some people don't like curved screen's generically, for example some find they curved edge will cause reflection and glare making viewing content harder. Also some find the curved edges cause colours to shift at certain angles, not to mention screen protectors are more difficult to find.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Well working in retail we get so many customers not wanting curvier phones as the replacement screen for this is over £100 more for new screen and customers know this,

But although I've not got curved phone in with you on it, feels alot better to hold.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Mmm I think it's just getting used to it and personal taste. Personally I would rather have a flat screen, even if it's a massive 7.2 inches like the Mate 20 X. My first experience with a curved display was the Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design. At first it was like the notch, I disliked it before getting it, but said "meh, whatever", and ended up getting used to it. It's got advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:
  • Easier to handle, especially if the phone is very big, like Mate 20 Pro or P30 Pro
  • Edge-to-edge display, very thin bezels. Whether you care or not, that's another whole issue
  • I guess more aesthetically pleasing, more premium? Don't know about this one
Disadvantages:
  • I find you lose a lot of touch space, as you cannot really use the curved space/reacts very poorly/is awkward to use
  • If the content is not adapted, you have stuff in awkard places
  • In some websites you'll have cut content on the edges/corners, it's weird
  • It's harder to find screen protectors that fit. Most tempered glass just falls, although you have the plastic films now, like Mobile Outfitters' ClearCoat
  • Some say that since there's less bezels, the fragility of the device increases. I would say it depends on the rest of the device and build quality, I've dropped my Mate RS various times, nearly dying each time of a heart-attack, but it's thankfully still in one piece. Having worked in a service centre, I am obviously biased towards the device, but Huawei's build quality is pretty good, I've seen devices run over by buses and still working... whether you want to have it fixed is another question😅might want to get a new one
I guess yeah, it just depends on the end user, if you don't care/get used to it, it's whatever. Most of the customers I've handled who bought a Mate 20 Pro didn't really care, they just got the device because it was well rated overall. The few who didn't want the curved display would fall back on a Mate 20 or P20 Pro and carry on with their day.

But yes, you'll have those absolutely despising it, like the notch or the loss of the headphone jack on some phones. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have flat display/no notch/have a headphone jack, but once you get used to it, you'll ignore it. Headphone jack... meh, the ANC-3 from Huawei are good enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Curved screen looks better and produces smaller profile but I hate to say it a flat edged screen is easier to use and cheaper to replace. My device is the mate 20 pro and it's curved edges so... Meh.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
If you use gesture navigation, you will find a curved screen easier to use when you swipe from the sides. That's my experience.
Advantages:
  • Easier to handle, especially if the phone is very big, like Mate 20 Pro or P30 Pro
  • Edge-to-edge display, very thin bezels. Whether you care or not, that's another whole issue
  • I guess more aesthetically pleasing, more premium? Don't know about this one
Disadvantages:
  • I find you lose a lot of touch space, as you cannot really use the curved space/reacts very poorly/is awkward to use
  • If the content is not adapted, you have stuff in awkard places
  • In some websites you'll have cut content on the edges/corners, it's weird
  • It's harder to find screen protectors that fit. Most tempered glass just falls, although you have the plastic films now, like Mobile Outfitters' ClearCoat
  • Some say that since there's less bezels, the fragility of the device increases. I would say it depends on the rest of the device and build quality, I've dropped my Mate RS various times, nearly dying each time of a heart-attack, but it's thankfully still in one piece. Having worked in a service centre, I am obviously biased towards the device, but Huawei's build quality is pretty good, I've seen devices run over by buses and still working... whether you want to have it fixed is another question😅might want to get a new one
I guess yeah, it just depends on the end user, if you don't care/get used to it, it's whatever. Most of the customers I've handled who bought a Mate 20 Pro didn't really care, they just got the device because it was well rated overall. The few who didn't want the curved display would fall back on a Mate 20 or P20 Pro and carry on with their day.

But yes, you'll have those absolutely despising it, like the notch or the loss of the headphone jack on some phones. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have flat display/no notch/have a headphone jack, but once you get used to it, you'll ignore it. Headphone jack... meh, the ANC-3 from Huawei are good enough.

Thank you my issue has been solved,...