Answered

Dual sim menu missing on P30 Pro

• Fearless Explorer
  • 3 replies
Hi.
I bought a P30 Pro as I travel (from the UK) to USA regularly. I wanted the dual sim option.
I am now in USA, and have bought a USA specific sim.
However, there is no dual sim menu in network settings.
Can anyone help me please?,
Many thanks, and kind regards
icon

Best answer by DRSC Media 6 May 2019, 04:27

If your model is VOG-L09, then it is a single-SIM model, and thus doesn't support dual-SIM.

The dual-SIM P30 Pro is VOG-L29. In the UK, most of the P30 Pro 128GB are VOG-L09.

The UK P30 Pro 512GB is dual-SIM (VOG-L29).
View original

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Where did you buy it from? Amazon UK? I have the dual SIM version and under mobile network in settings I have the dual SIM settings menu.
The phone was bought direct from Vodafone in UK and is on Vodafone contract sim in UK.
The USA sim is AT&T bought from AT&T shop
Userlevel 4
Is it VOG LO9? You can check this is settings, system > about phone > model
Yes, it is.
I am pretty sure, when I set pho e up out of the box, it asked if I was using dual sim.
As I didn't have a 2nd sim at the time, I selected no.
May be I have to reinstall something?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
If your model is VOG-L09, then it is a single-SIM model, and thus doesn't support dual-SIM.

The dual-SIM P30 Pro is VOG-L29. In the UK, most of the P30 Pro 128GB are VOG-L09.

The UK P30 Pro 512GB is dual-SIM (VOG-L29).
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@Russk Have a look either on the box or in the about menu in settings. If it shows 2 different IMEI numbers you have a dual SIM phone. If it only shows one IMEI numbers you have a single SIM phone.
How annoying as a friend assured me his was dual, So i went and got one only to find it is a single sim.

Why the hell do they not give the option to have 2 sims as standard?.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Mmm... the answer is long and weird.

Essentially, the UK got the 128GB and 512GB variants, with most of the 128GB being single-SIM (VOG-L09). The 512GB variant is dual-SIM (VOG-L29).

The rest of Europe got the 128GB and 256GB variants, with all being dual-SIM (VOG-L09). No other country, at least in Western Europe, got the 512GB variant... except Norway 😶

Sometimes it also depends from where you buy it, many carriers will only sell the single-SIM variant for instance.

Chances are your friend bought a mainland Europe model with an EU plug and not an UK one, or he got a "convert" one, which essentially means the seller swapped the charger from an EU to an UK one and done.

You should ask your friend where he got it from, that would be interesting to know.
He said he got it on contract from EE....
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
He said he got it on contract from EE....

EE's website does not even mention whether the device is single or dual SIM

https://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/huawei-p30-pro-aurora-blue/details

Vodafone neither for that matter

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/phones/pay-monthly-contracts/huawei/p30-pro#features

curious.
Yeah strange. That is def where he got it from though. I wonder if they import from a different area to others maybe....
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Here, indeed, depends on the carrier:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/huawei-p30-pro/help/dual-sim-uk-t3915620

EE and Three only, the rest are all single-SIM
So is every phone potentially Dual Sim?. it's just different software running it that determines single / dual sim.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
It's again complex. In some cases, the mainboard is different, so whatever you do, you cannot read a second-SIM since the hardware is not there.

In other cases, such as carrier-variants, if the market gets a dual-SIM, and the carrier is single-SIM, then usually it's the carrier who requested to lock this second SIM option via their skin modification.

And finally, in various other cases, it's just software blocked, so potentially you can indeed get the second slot to work. This usually requires a lot of tinkering etc and will void your warranty, so that's up to you.

In this precise case, I wouldn't be able to tell.
I am livid too. I just bought another sim card for a business number. I just put it in the 'NM' slot and it just wouldn't recognise the other sim card... after reading this forum turns out i got the L09 as well ! I am so dissapointed. The reason i bought this phone is because I thought it had dual sim. Huawei, why give the option - this is shoddy marketing !
Hi
I have a huawei P30 pro (bought in the UK)

It has the slot and ability to take 2 simcards but when I did I couldnt find the Dual Sim menu

Can someone help with this?

There is supposed to me a menu to activate or switch between the two

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @yasmineghozzi I moved your post to this thread as it covers dual-sim questions. As DRSC Media wrote:

Mmm... the answer is long and weird.

Essentially, the UK got the 128GB and 512GB variants, with most of the 128GB being single-SIM (VOG-L09). The 512GB variant is dual-SIM (VOG-L29).

The rest of Europe got the 128GB and 256GB variants, with all being dual-SIM (VOG-L09). No other country, at least in Western Europe, got the 512GB variant... except Norway 😶

Sometimes it also depends from where you buy it, many carriers will only sell the single-SIM variant for instance.

Chances are your friend bought a mainland Europe model with an EU plug and not an UK one, or he got a "convert" one, which essentially means the seller swapped the charger from an EU to an UK one and done.

You should ask your friend where he got it from, that would be interesting to know.
is there anything that can be done to get this phone dual sim apart from taking it back and pleading innocence as got a it a few months ago but saw the slot and only discovered the lack of menu when needed to travel