Tutorial

How to Measure Length, Area, Height, and Volume with the P30 Pro

• 17 May 2019
  • 4 replies
How to Measure Length, Area, Height, and Volume with the P30 Pro
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
The HUAWEI P30 Pro can measure the length, area, height, and volume of objects. Today, let me show you a magical app called “AR Measure”. First of all, your P30 pro needs to be upgraded to the latest version. If you don't have the app on your phone, please wait until you get the latest software update.

Open the “AR Measure” app and you will find four options for length, area, height and volume. Move the phone slowly as prompted until the Focus Point appears.

The following are the detailed measurement steps:

To Measure Length
1. Tap “Length”.

2. Point the Focus Point icon at the object.

3. Tap on the Plus icon to mark the start point.

4. Move the phone slowly so that Focus Point icon travels along the edge of the object.

5. When it reaches the end of the edge, touch the Plus icon and the object's length will be displayed.

The following screenshots are for your reference:

To Measure Area
Currently, only the area of rectangles can be measured.

1. Tap “Area”.

2. Keep the phone parallel to the surface of the object and position the object in the viewfinder until a frame appears.

3. After the frame overlaps with the object, touch the Plus icon and the object's area will be displayed.

The following screenshots are for your reference:

To Measure Volume
Currently, only the volume of cubes can be measured.

1. Tap “Volume”.

2. Point the Focus Point icon at the bottom of the object.

3. Touch the Plus icon to mark the start point.

3. Move the phone slowly so that the Focus Point icon travels along the long edge of the object.

4. When it reaches the end of the edge, touch the Plus icon.

5. Move the phone to create a frame for the object's bottom. When the frame overlaps with the bottom plane, touch the Plus icon.

6. Move the phone to create a frame for the object. After the frame overlaps with the object, touch the Plus icon and object's volume will be displayed.

The following screenshot is for your reference:

To Measure Height
1. Tap “Height”.

2. Point the Focus Point icon at the subject's feet.

3. Touch the Plus icon to mark the start point.

4. Slowly lift the phone to include the subject's entire body in the viewfinder. When a face is identified, the height will be displayed.

The following screenshot is for your reference:

Try this new feature with your P30 Pro. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Nice write up. I hope the Mate 20 Pro will get this functionality but for now I'm using a Google one which is pretty accurate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks for sharing these tips & tricks @Tboy2000!
Related to AR; is it likely that the 3D live app will be made available for the P30 series? That looks like a really good app, but it currently won't run on P30 phones.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
How ironic that I come accross this post now. Supposedly "AR Measure" is available since a while, but not on my P30 Pro? Today I got the latest patch (.178), claiming to improve the app, but I still had no access to it, neither on Google Play Store nor AppGallery.

Ended up downloading the APK on some sketchy site and it works, but AR Measure still claims on AppGallery that it's not available in my "region", even after changing the country setting to various other European countries.

Any idea? Yes I am on a VOG-L29 512GB, bought in UK, used in Belgium.

edit1: both UK & Belgium marketing show this app, so why do I not have it by default, nor can I download it from AppGallery?