Answered

How to stop text from dropping off sides of curved screen of Huawei P30 Pro? Particularly with Instagram

I've just got my first Huawei phone, the P30 Pro and I love it, but one thing that ever so slightly bugs me is that on certain apps - I've noticed it mostly with Instagram Stories - when I'm watching them the story and any copy that someone's placed there can sometimes 'drop off' or fall off the curved edges of the screen so I can read text or whatever.

Does anyone know if there is a way in settings to adjust the screen width so this doesn't happen, either in the Instagram app itself or in the P30 Pro settings?

Any advice would be really helpful, thanks!
icon

Best answer by Jmoon 9 April 2019, 00:40

Hi @Kathrynlaurar

This is an issue with the Instagram app. They have had feedback on this but only support a 9:16 ratio, so any phone with a different aspect will show stories as cropped/ zoomed. This also affects the Mate 20 Pro as well as other non-Huawei phones. It's not ideal but you do get used to it. Hopefully insta will bow to pressure as screen sizes continue to move toward a new standard.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi @Kathrynlaurar

This is an issue with the Instagram app. They have had feedback on this but only support a 9:16 ratio, so any phone with a different aspect will show stories as cropped/ zoomed. This also affects the Mate 20 Pro as well as other non-Huawei phones. It's not ideal but you do get used to it. Hopefully insta will bow to pressure as screen sizes continue to move toward a new standard.
Hey @Jmoon thanks so much for your reply, that was super helpful! Thanks also for clarifying that it's an issue with the Instagram app and not the phone as that was my main concern - fingers crossed Instagram bow to pressure as you say! But in the meantime you're right, I'm sure I'll get used to it 🙂 thanks again!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
No problem @Kathrynlaurar. Any other questions, just ask :)

Enjoy the P30 Pro
Any new news about this ? I am having a terrible experience regarding Instagram. It is the most used app in the world right now. How can Huawei ignore something like this ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Any new news about this ? I am having a terrible experience regarding Instagram. It is the most used app in the world right now. How can Huawei ignore something like this ?
It's not Huawei ignoring it is instagram, there so iPhone focused that android users get a second rate app in comparison.
Userlevel 1
just to add to this as a instagrammer I was also recommended the p20 pro for my photos, I honestly cant fault the photos but having such a hard time with my videos. my instagram stories all have a ugly grey filter after uploading and just this week ive noticed the same issue on my feed. my videos are all terrible quality and have a white or grey filter i dont know whats changed as it was perfect on my feed for the past 3 weeks.... can anyone help.. instagram is my job!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
just to add to this as a instagrammer I was also recommended the p20 pro for my photos, I honestly cant fault the photos but having such a hard time with my videos. my instagram stories all have a ugly grey filter after uploading and just this week ive noticed the same issue on my feed. my videos are all terrible quality and have a white or grey filter i dont know whats changed as it was perfect on my feed for the past 3 weeks.... can anyone help.. instagram is my job!
Hi Sarah, there's actually a dedicated thread about this( search grey filter in the search bar on the site) but ultimately no answer as yet. However as far as I'm aware it's only noticeable on our phones and this isn't what everyone else sees, unless they happen to have the same phones and same issue obviously.
Regards Jase
Userlevel 1

just to add to this as a instagrammer I was also recommended the p20 pro for my photos, I honestly cant fault the photos but having such a hard time with my videos. my instagram stories all have a ugly grey filter after uploading and just this week ive noticed the same issue on my feed. my videos are all terrible quality and have a white or grey filter i dont know whats changed as it was perfect on my feed for the past 3 weeks.... can anyone help.. instagram is my job!Hi Sarah, there's actually a dedicated thread about this( search grey filter in the search bar on the site) but ultimately no answer as yet. However as far as I'm aware it's only noticeable on our phones and this isn't what everyone else sees, unless they happen to have the same phones and same issue obviously.
Regards Jase

I know I have seen it, Its just annoying nothing has been sorted all we can do is keep making them aware so we arent ignored yet these threads are going back months. I'll get over the story issue but if its affecting my feed videos now that wasnt happening 3 weeks ago (i dunno was there a update or something) we have a major problem like i said this is my work, I have very expensive editors and cameras for huawei to then cut my quality in half, its very upsetting!

I have checked it on a few different devices and you can clearly see there is a issue. I was asked did i filter my videos
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

just to add to this as a instagrammer I was also recommended the p20 pro for my photos, I honestly cant fault the photos but having such a hard time with my videos. my instagram stories all have a ugly grey filter after uploading and just this week ive noticed the same issue on my feed. my videos are all terrible quality and have a white or grey filter i dont know whats changed as it was perfect on my feed for the past 3 weeks.... can anyone help.. instagram is my job!Hi Sarah, there's actually a dedicated thread about this( search grey filter in the search bar on the site) but ultimately no answer as yet. However as far as I'm aware it's only noticeable on our phones and this isn't what everyone else sees, unless they happen to have the same phones and same issue obviously.
Regards Jase
I know I have seen it, Its just annoying nothing has been sorted all we can do is keep making them aware so we arent ignored yet these threads are going back months. I'll get over the story issue but if its affecting my feed videos now that wasnt happening 3 weeks ago (i dunno was there a update or something) we have a major problem like i said this is my work, I have very expensive editors and cameras for huawei to then cut my quality in half, its very upsetting!

I have checked it on a few different devices and you can clearly see there is a issue. I was asked did i filter my videos

It most likely is an Instagram issue and nothing to do with Huawei at all, but not knowing is admittedly super frustrating. Sorry I can't actually be of more help🤷, it's affecting me as well and I can only imagine how annoying it is for someone who relies on it.
Userlevel 1

Regards Jase

It most likely is an Instagram issue and nothing to do with Huawei at all, but not knowing is admittedly super frustrating. Sorry I can't actually be of more help🤷, it's affecting me as well and I can only imagine how annoying it is for someone who relies on it.

very annoying! thanks for your help! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/