Question

Huawei's folding phone...

• 23 February 2019
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
After having the Mate X phone on trial, I must admit, I was hooked, it's a great phone.

Then seeing the P30 - it looks amazing but....

The new Mate X - the folding phone and 5G too as well?

The first glimpse of Huawei's folding phone....

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13994/first-glimpse-of-huawei-mate-x-a-foldable-5g-phone

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Welcome to the fold! Huawei's foldable 5G MATE X was revealed at Mobile World Conference in Barcelona yesterday. Huawei take a different approach to that of Samsung, leaving the Galaxy Fold looking pretty dated before it's even released.

This looks like an absolutely incredible bit of tech (albeit with a potential price tag to match). What do you think?
Userlevel 2
I need this!
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Knocks the socks off Samsung Fold
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I want a demo unit as I have no pc and no tablet, just a phone. Plus I don't have a job so don't have £2000+ to pay for one
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I want a demo unit as I have no pc and no tablet, just a phone. Plus I don't have a job so don't have £2000+ to pay for one

I think that it becomes better value when you consider that it will replace both phone and tablet for most people, but even then 2K makes this a luxury item. As the technology progresses prices will come down but until then you certainly won't be alone in being able to meet the hefty price.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Trusted Reviews managed to get their hands on the Mate X (which is more than I have). What they said just confirmed what we've all be thinking.

"Samsung struggled to make a strong case for them with the Galaxy Fold, with that device seemingly sacrificing a decent phone experience to achieve the new design. With the Mate X that doesn’t seem to be an issue. This looks like it’ll be fantastic whether it’s folded down into a phone or unfurled into a tablet."

Read the whole review here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
I know when I send my Mate 20 Pro off for glass repair😢 I will miss it. I will have to go back to the Sony xa2 which is a terrible disappointment.
Userlevel 4
It's a great looking device, but it's for a limited market. It's like F1 cars. Not many people can buy them, but the technology developed for them trickles down to consumer cars.

Not many people will buy this phone, but we will all benefit from the technology in future handsets :)

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the 5G connectivity?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
It's a great looking device, but it's for a limited market. It's like F1 cars. Not many people can buy them, but the technology developed for them trickles down to consumer cars.

Not many people will buy this phone, but we will all benefit from the technology in future handsets :)

Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the 5G connectivity?

Hey @Macca

Totally agree with you. It seems that Huawei's first 5G device will be the Mate 20 X, which for me delivers everything the folding phone does but without, er, folding. Have a look at my review of the Mate 20 X here (5G version coming soon).
Userlevel 4
I've already read your great review, and I'm also familiar with the handset :)

5G is going to open up so many possibilities in terms of IoT, AI and AR. Very exciting times!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Even though I would love to get my hands on one of these, I really couldn't justify the huge price!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

After having the Mate X phone on trial, I must admit, I was hooked, it's a great phone.

Then seeing the P30 - it looks amazing but....

The new Mate X - the folding phone and 5G too as well?

The first glimpse of Huawei's folding phone....

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13994/first-glimpse-of-huawei-mate-x-a-foldable-5g-phone

Great Huawei Company Create a unique mobile i wish i can buy if its in my budget.
Userlevel 2
Im waiting to see what goes on with the creasing in the OLED panel, and to see how easily it scratches but I am In love with the look of the mate X
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have posted lost of information here > https://chillphone.uk/mate-x-the-folding-mobile-cellphone/
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
#TakeMyMoney well not mine it'd make me bankrupt but #takeMeToTheX
Userlevel 5
Badge
I'm really looking forward to this new evolution in mobile phone technology.

The price tag is high but lets all remember the price of the first laptops when they hit the market.

As much as I would love to own this phone I don't think I will be an early adopter this time, I think I will sit back and observe the longevity and possible teething issues that may arise from all the fold phone manufacturers and let these get ironed out.

Then I will jump at the Mk2 version when it comes out 🙂

Then again my new tech addiction may get the better of me & I will be entering every competition to win one
Userlevel 4
Badge
My brain and heart are screaming yes. My wallet is giving me a stern talking to.
Maybe when my phone contract us up 😆