Answered

P30 apps keep closing when typing

Hi. I got my new P30 a couple of days ago and everytime I'm typing anywhere like in whatsapp, messenger or even typing this message!, it keeps closing the app mid type. How do I stop this please? I can't keep a phone that doesn't let me type a message. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Dstojan 27 August 2019, 23:36

Hey, I got on chat with a Huawei tech about this issue, and we tried everything to resolve this issue other than factory reset, and nothing worked. Finally I went to settings- system- system navigation- and I turned off the swipe gestures and turned on the three key navigation so that I had the buttons on the bottom, and I have not had an issue typing since! And actually I like the buttons better, they work more efficiently then the swipe in my opinion. Anyways I almost had to get a new phone because I couldn't type anything and I'm so happy that this fixed it, so I thought I would share. Sorry if this has already been said!
View original

24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi @CEB1211 and welcome to the forums!
it seems to be due to aggressive RAM management.
You could play around with the power management settings first: http://nine-faq.9folders.com/articles/16876-how-to-turn-off-battery-optimization-on-the-huawei-devices

Alternatively you could try restarting your phone using safe mode or if that does not seem to work, clear the cache.
DO NOT CHOOSE WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET - ALL YOUR FILES ETC ON YOUR PHONE WILL BE GONE.

Check out this thread which might help you in solve your issue:
https://uk.community.huawei.com/p30-series-30/p30-pro-camera-not-working-4935#post26951

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply.

My settings are different to what's in the link so I don't know how to do the first suggestion.

I've tried the second suggestion but it's still doing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @CEB1211,

Please try the suggestion in this thread. Seems like you are having a similar issue.

Will you keep us updated?
Hi all. Any update on fixes this issue? I have tried all the steps listed above, and it still happens. I've also tried using different keyboards but anytime I type (no matter the app), the phone goes back to the home screen.
Hi guys I have been using p30 for last 3 months now. The first time when I was using I didn't get any problems as mentioned by author but after the first update ( that enabled the dual camera mode) I started to get this problem as well while typing in certain apps like line and we chat. Now I again upadted to 9.1.0.168 and still not changed. I for once thought may be I activated some gesture mode that caused this but nah.. I hope it will be solved soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @ProfSox and @NishalPaul,

Welcome on the community! 🙂

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread?

@CEB1211 did you manage to solve this issue? Could you give us an update please?
My phone is 3 months old and is faulty. When I type through social media apps and the generic messaging app my phone will crash to the home screen.

I hadn't returned the phone yet, as I thought other people might have experienced the same issue and decided to wait to and see if they released an update that would hotfix it.

The things I had attempted to fix this were:

- Typing more carefully as I thought I may be swiping up from the base of the phone. (no fix) Though during the crashes the keyboard is still present briefly, so that leads me to believe it was a bug rather than user error.

- Restarting the phone (no fix)

- installing a new keyboard (no fix) The fault happens on the default keyboard too

The phone is damaged but these issues were happening prior to any damage. I'm getting a replacement tomorrow however, just creating this thread to see if anyone else had the same issue
Quick update.

I got my replacement and the replacement phone is bugged too! 😡 infact even worse this time. It won't even allow me the time to press one key before the keyboard disappears.

Great experience with this phone within 1 month. I even tried to go back to iphone today. 0 usage of my phone today and i needed it to contact colleagues...

GET IT FIXED
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Silly question but do you have the virtual navigation buttons on at the bottom? I noticed on my Mate 10 when I was typing in an app, it would quit to home. I soon realised that for some reason my home button was very sensitive and when I went to tap on space bar, the littlest overlap to the the home button would trigger it. It wasn't always like this but it happened out of the blue. So maybe the app is not quitting or crashing but rather the home button is somehow triggered. Just a thought.
This is so frustrating. On the P30 model you swipe left to go back or swipe up to return to the Home screen because there's no buttons or virtual navigation buttons. Due to the space bar being so close to the bottom of the screen, if you slide your finger even a touch it closes the app and takes you to the Home screen. SMS is the worst. I've given up using it. I just don't know how Huawei can fix this. Seriously thinking of taking the phone back and exchanging for a Samsung.
Ok, try this go to the settings, then system, then system navigation, then select gestures an u will see under that window settings, enter there and turn off google assistant, and that will do the thing 😉
For all who have this problem there is a sipmle solution, when u start typing u see the keyboard, on the left side u see little click there and will ooen little bar, then u go for the seetings wheel and there u chose size of keyboard then all u need to do is to hold the middle of keyboard and to pull 3 milimetars from bottom to separate bottom line of keyboard from phone frame on that way u will fix this anoying problem:) or folow this link to see video that i uploaded recently https://vimeo.com/347915002
For all who have this problem there is a simple solution, when u start typing u see the keyboard, on the left side u see little cross, click there and will open little bar, then u go for the seetings wheel and there u chose size of keyboard then all u need to do is to hold the middle of keyboard and to pull 3 milimetars from bottom to separate bottom line of keyboard from phone frame, on that way u will fix this anoying problem:) or folow this link to see video that i uploaded recently https://vimeo.com/347915002
This is happening to me too. Only a few weeks old. Really really annoying me. First time with huawei and not impressed.
Hey,

I have the same problem, but with a P20 Lite, and with Gboard.

The problem is appeared when the 9.0 update was arrived (in 8.0 it works good, never have any problem with this), after 9.0 everytime i write, the system recognize the space hit as a home button tapping (yes i know, i hit the space very near to the home button), very annoying.
Go on my post there is a link of video that i posted how u can reslove that 😉
Ugi,
I using the Gboard app, and there is no option to modify the position of the keyboard. Or just i cant found it. 🙂
Im using sticked keyboard settings on p30 pro try to instal swifkey keyboard
Im using sticked keyboard settings on p30 pro try to instal swifkey keyboard
Mate you know nothing.

Swiftkey is the default installed keyboard for Huawei p30 pro, as soon as i bought the phone i was advised to download a 3rd party keyboard.

If that isn't a statement about the phone already 😂

Though @thomahu has a p20 lite - he has the 3rd party gboard app (like myself) installed and with this keyboard the same issue of crashing still presents itself.

I've spoken to several representatives on 'Hi Care' and discussed with them the problem that i am having, and they have received no calls about the keyboard crashing (Seems none of them are associated with this forum)

All they have suggested to me was:

To go into Settings > Apps >Apps continued> Swiftkey> clear data and cache

and also

Swiftkey> settings (3 dots in the top right) > uninstall updates

One representative was so adamant that this would fix my issue he asked if i could fill out the survey at the end
*few extra ££ in his pocket *

Today i called up and wiped data partition within some phone recovery settings which followed a power button and volume up key hold for several seconds, this also did not work.

I also had that representative perform a diagnostic whilst on call and the only thing that flagged was temperature. Yes the weather has been hot lately, nothing to be concerned about.

I have owned a Huawei P30 Pro for 4 months and it has been the absolute WORST experience with a phone i have ever had. Something as simple and DETRIMENTAL to a phones normal day to day use such as communicating via the keyboard, should not be such a trivial thing to have a problem with, let alone have it DRAG on for this length of time.

I've been patient hoping they would roll out an update to fix - nothing

All suggestions for fixes ultimately lead to nothing

I am now going to take more time out of my day to download 'HiSuite' on my computer, back up my phone and perform a Factory Wipe. If this does not fix my issue i was advised to send my phone out to Huawei which equates to 'Time without a device that you need in this day in age'

My last weapon i have to wield should this fail is a huge complaint to my network provider O2, i have already been into the shop several times to ask them about what could be done and i've been walked away with no real help. I tried to take the phone back and swap back to iPhone since i was fed up with all of the problems, though i was out of the relief period which by the way is only 14 days.

The P30 Pro that Huawei are trying to sell you is a glorified camera and nothing more - it doesn't even shoot 4k video.

I'm advising people away from this phone and away from this brand.

All disrespect intended

Imagine suggesting to a person who is just trying to use their phone "Have you performed a data partition wipe?"

I want a phone that has working functionality for christ sake 😂😂

All best

James
Let's hope someone jumps on this forum with some real advice
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello everyone!

We are truly sorry for the issue you are experiencing!

In this case I would like to suggest you to boot your phone to safe mode. Maybe a third-party app caused the problem,

In order to boot to Safe Mode, follow this steps:

1. Power off the device.
  2. Power it back on.
  3. Once you see the Huawei logo on the screen press repeatedly the Volume Down button.
  4. You can see safe mode at the bottom left corner once the device finishes booting.

After this try writing a message in order to see if the issue keeps happening.(WhatsApp, Messenger etc, won't show up on Safe Mode)

Please let me know if this helped!

I'm looking forward to your reply! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any kind of problems in the future. You can also send me a private message for further assistance. Have a lovely day!

All the best,
BarneyT
Hey, I got on chat with a Huawei tech about this issue, and we tried everything to resolve this issue other than factory reset, and nothing worked. Finally I went to settings- system- system navigation- and I turned off the swipe gestures and turned on the three key navigation so that I had the buttons on the bottom, and I have not had an issue typing since! And actually I like the buttons better, they work more efficiently then the swipe in my opinion. Anyways I almost had to get a new phone because I couldn't type anything and I'm so happy that this fixed it, so I thought I would share. Sorry if this has already been said!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Dstojan,

Thank you for sharing this!
Sorry @Dstojan I already have the button navigation (and so does my wife) and it still does this. If you use swipe typing you dont get it but tapping the keys does, not always but sometimes.

Ive tried Swiftkey (preinstalled), Gboard and AnySoftKeyboard and its the same on all of them.

This is an issue with Huaweis EMUI not the keyboards or the hardware, ive never had this on any other phone.