Answered

P30 latest software (9.1.0.153) problem with Android Auto

Userlevel 1
Following the recent software update to 9.1.0.153 I am now seeing a repeating connect and disconnect of the device to android auto on a 2018 Honda Civic.

I have tried other cables with the same error:

"A charing error has occurred with connected USB device. When safe please check the compatibility of the device and USB cable and try again"

This message will appear, the phone reconnects for a few minutes then the cycle repeats.

The issue was not present on the previous software version, or other devices using the same cable.

icon

Best answer by Huawei Mobile UK 30 May 2019, 12:51

We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @Dmurray1981, Welcome on the community!

Sorry to see that you are having issues!

Please take a look at the following threads, these might be helpful:
I am having the exact same issue. Living in the UK, phone bought from amazon on ee network.
Android Auto keeps keeps dropping my connection randomly and frequently. Only happened since the update to 9.1.0.153. Nothing else had changed, same cable, same car. Prior to the update android auto worked flawlessly.
I have looked in both posts in the first reply and they don't seem to help. I should not have to go into developer mode to try and get a function to work that worked prior to a software update.
Userlevel 1
What I've found so far.
USB debugging does nothing. Cables are not the fault.

The problem seems to be related to reduced charging when the phone has 80+% battery.

I left it off charge over night and connected to Android Auto with around 50% battery and it worked as it did with the previous software version.

This points to a charge current reduction or battery care type activity when plugged in with higher battery capacity
Agree that usb debugging does nothing. I was told by the Huawei tech to make sure its turned off (which contradicts the advice on the Android Auto FAQ) and that the phone is set to charging only.
I was able to use android auto straight out of the box before the ota update. I will try and run the battery down and see what happens when I go out later.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm having the same intermittent error. Will keep an eye out of its related to charging levels. I didn't have any issues before upgrade either
Userlevel 1
Further testing today has confirmed the issue occurs at 90%+ battery level.

It works as expected until the battery hits that point and then the endless cycle begins.

This is definitely software based and was introduced in the 153 update.

Huewei need to fix this quickly or provide a rollback option
Went out for a 40minute drive with my battery at 62% and no random disconnects! Seems like you are on to something with battery levels. Will try again tomorrow with a full battery and report back.
Userlevel 1
Glad someone else can confirm my findings.
Anyone know if Huawei actually monitors this forum?
Went out for a 40minute drive with my battery at 62% and no random disconnects! Seems like you are on to something with battery levels. Will try again tomorrow with a full battery and report back.
Just went back out after charging my phone up to 96% and the random disconnects came back, so looks like we have the root cause of the problem. Now who from Huawei can either roll us back to 140 or push a fix asap? For me Android Auto is a deal breaker if they cant get it to work and I will be sending my phone back and switching (reluctantly) back to Samsung.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Logitech67 , @Dmurray1981 , Thanks for sharing your findings on this issues. I've flagged the topic for the support team to investigate further.
Userlevel 1
@Logitech67 , @Dmurray1981 , Thanks for sharing your findings on this issues. I've flagged the topic for the support team to investigate further.
@Danjl
Thanks for passing this on. Hopefully a fix can be found quickly
Sorry, glad it seems to be working for you but I still have this issue with my p30 Pro regardless of battery level. To have their flagship phones not work with android auto and seemingly no official update on the situation is ridiculous.

AA works without issue on my Samsung S8 and S8+ so its not my car. How are more people not reporting this issue...?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Dmurray1981 @Logitech67 This morning I connected my P30 almost fully charged and had no issues with AA. So far it's been tough to reproduce the issue.

The connection to AA is definitely less stable in .153 but can't be certain on a root cause
Mine worked OK when connected at 62% and worked until I hit 88% then random disconnects aplenty. Bought a Galaxy s10+ and will be sending my p30 pro back. I had android auto issues on my P20 and took ages for Huawei to push a fix. Not prepared to wait this time
Userlevel 1
Sorry, glad it seems to be working for you but I still have this issue with my p30 Pro regardless of battery level. To have their flagship phones not work with android auto and seemingly no official update on the situation is ridiculous.

AA works without issue on my Samsung S8 and S8+ so its not my car. How are more people not reporting this issue...?

@Tickleitil my solution at the minute is to manage the battery level between 40 and 80%. With fast charge its really not an issue, but still something I shouldn't have to do. It also won't work on long runs where it will inevitably charge over the 90% mark.

This should be an easy fix, not holding my breath though
Userlevel 1
@Danjl Please provide an update and ETA for this issue
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
Hi there,

I have the same issue. Used AA and Huawei P30 pro for 3 months now, and everything worked well until last week when the problem begun . Cable , debugging and reset of phone and car software doesn't help.

Really annoyed and looking forward to a solution.