Answered

P30 not working with Android Auto

• 12 April 2019
  • 32 replies

I got the P30 this week switching from Samsung to Huawei. Love the new phone except it won't connect with my card. The car says to use this feature connect supported device to USB when it is and using the cable that came with the phone.

Will this not work with my new phone? Its something I had on my old phone and didn't think a newer phone wouldn't be compatible.
icon

Best answer by Huawei Mobile UK 30 May 2019, 13:03

We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
View original

32 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Eholland I have the same phone and no issues with. Android auto. How is your USB configured in the phone?
@ClogPower I have no idea. How would I find out?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If you'reI not in developers mode yet, do this first. In the settings menu, go to System, About phone and select Build number until you get developer mode. After that search for USB configuration and set it to charge only. Leave the rest of the settings standard, or if you've changed something before, change things back to default.

That works for me, no changes needed anywhere else.
Thanks @ClogPower . I got into that but couldn't find USB configuration anywhere.
@ClogPower I found it. Just baffled by the options and not sure what to change.

I got something else with the P30. When I try to use AA and the phone screen turns black (locking itself) the AA in the car's screen turns black as well. I can't really use GPS with a black screen 😃. Interesting thing is it's working with the p10. Any idea?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@Eholland here is a screenshot from my phone. The option I circled is a bit further down.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi @Eholland , did you try the USB setting and did it help?
Hello from Greece.
I am also a new owner of a P30 pro and I have the same issue with my car. I connect the USB cable (the original not third party) set it to charge only, enabled also on some tries the USB debugging option and the only thing that I achieved was.... Nothing.
I am very disappointed because I come from an iPhone 7 plus and never had this kind of issue.
I mean it is very important for me to have Google maps on my car screen. 😢
I also have Bluetooth activated and when I turn on the ignition even before I connect the cable my phone launches AA but when I connect the cable there is some communication between the phone and the car (message appears on car's screen about connection) but always fails.
My car is a VW passat 2016 model
Plz help me I am very very disappointed and frustrated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Makesure you download Android auto app as well, this will list your compatible installed apps.
Makesure you download Android auto app as well, this will list your compatible installed apps.
Of course I have downloaded the android auto app. I mentioned that the app is auto launching uppon connecting the phone with the car USB but then the connection fails.

Makesure you download Android auto app as well, this will list your compatible installed apps.Of course I have downloaded the android auto app. I mentioned that the app is auto launching uppon connecting the phone with the car USB but then the connection fails.

Hi Ripper, I have exactly the same problem with the P30. My car is a VW Scirocco 2017. I have a xiaomi mi9 and an iPhone too and AA works flawless there on the same car.

With the P30 fails every time I connect. I tried activating USB debugging but it doesn't fix the problem...
Hello,

I have a slightly different problem with my P30 Pro. Android Auto works only about 25% of the time. Sometimes it will work, and then randomly disconnect after about 10 minutes and the not connect anymore. I've experienced this on multiple cars. With my Samsung on the same car, it works perfectly. I believe it might have to do with how Huawei have designed the USB port possibly.

Steps that might help others.
  1. Use the original Huawei cable that came with the phone. AA does not work on my P30 Pro with a normal cable, while it works with my Samsung phone in the same car.
  2. Once I had to update Google Maps on my phone so that Android Auto would work.
  3. Sometimes if you have a notification on google maps, you need to acknowledge it before Android Auto works.
Hello,

I have a slightly different problem with my P30 Pro. Android Auto works only about 25% of the time. Sometimes it will work, and then randomly disconnect after about 10 minutes and the not connect anymore. I've experienced this on multiple cars. With my Samsung on the same car, it works perfectly. I believe it might have to do with how Huawei have designed the USB port possibly.

Steps that might help others.
  1. Use the original Huawei cable that came with the phone. AA does not work on my P30 Pro with a normal cable, while it works with my Samsung phone in the same car.
  2. Once I had to update Google Maps on my phone so that Android Auto would work.
  3. Sometimes if you have a notification on google maps, you need to acknowledge it before Android Auto works.

I also got it to work for a while after many attempts and then after some time (10 minutes approximately) disconnects and does not connect again.
The USB cable I am using is the one that came with the phone so it can not be the issue.
This is very disappointing because it is a flagship phone that costs a lot of money and you expect that these functions work seamlessly.
Hello Everyone,

I'm since 1.5 weeks a frustrated Huawei P30 Pro owner.
Actually, I was happy when I bought the device but after I've installed all my apps and moved all my data (I did that twice) I'm getting very angry!

I'm driving a lot and I'm using Android Auto every day for navigation, music, sending messages and so on.
After my first 5 km with my P30 Pro, I was surprised that the connection was lost, first I thought it's the cable, well let's order a new one because it was old (6 months).

24 Hours later I received the new cable, awesome let's give it a try.... of course.... everything crashed again...

Weird, so let's use the original cable, still not working!

Okay let's try to clear the cache of Android Auto & delete all data, same for Google Play Services... and again nothing is working, maybe the connections stay 1-2 minutes longer stable than before but that's it.

Finally, I've reached the point that I'm really getting pissed now, but at this point I thought, well I've transferred all my data from my old Galaxy S8+ so maybe that's the problem? So I wiped all my data (factory reset) and I've downloaded the AA-App again and all the other stuff made all relevant updates and transferred all my pictures. So I jumped into my car and I was happy that it was working... well.... for like 35 minutes and then the same happened, it crashed and I was unable to select Android Auto in my car's head unit.

Every time I have to restart my Easy Connect System which is not a solution for me!

So if there is anything else what I can do than a hard reset, clearing cache & data, using debugging mode, or using 3 different cables incl. original cable, disable task killer, disable battery optimizer for AA-App I would give it a try...

But for me, it looks like Huawei needs to fix something asap! Otherwise, I'll return the phone because I'm not willing to pay 1100€ for that phone which is not working properly. Buy the way I never had any of those issues before with my Samsung Galaxy S8+.

By the way, there is also a bug which might is from Huawei P30 Pro while I drive the network connection (Edge, 3G, H+, 4G, 4G+, LTE) is never changing, its always just showing within the head unit the last status which my phone had before the screen got locked. It is changing when I turn on the screen again.

There is one thing, that makes me extremly angry! It seems like no one from Huawei cares about this problem!
SOOOOO many people are complaining about this issue, and they never give feedback on this issue, just we'll forward your data to tech department.
That's not a nice way how to communicate with your customers! Maybe they should create a topic with this issue and let people know about the status of the issue!
For example: Collecting data, Under Review -> then give your customers some feedback if its something that you can fix or not! And if you can fix is, then tell us by when it could be fixed.

Sorry for this long text.

All the best! 😥
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey @CupraD 🙂 You don't have to apologize for the long text, this is the place where you can speek freely about your Huawei devices! I've labeled your reply for support. Let's hope we can make you a happy Huawei P30 Pro owner again.
Let's hope you can make us all happy Huawei P30 pro owners, because coming from an iPhone 7 plus with no problems, it is very frustrating to have issues like this.
Covering long distances with my car every day, I feel very disappointed not being able to use Android Auto.
I have the same issue.

I have the P30 Pro and after around 20mins android auto just freezes. I don't think it is my car as my S8 and S8+ work flawlessly, this is clearly and issue with EMUI

I also tried to disable all batter management thinking it could be killing core components in the background but this didn't work.

Would really like a solution because as it stands I cannot use Android Auto at all!
Hi,

I am David. I am from Germany and i got my P30 Pro just a couple days ago.

I just registered to the forum for this and wanted to let you know that this also happens with my phone.

Already updated the phone and android auto and tried several cables as well as the usb settings suggested above.

Connecting to android auto always works almost instantly (much better than the HTC i had before) but after 10-15 minutes it disconnects.

It usually connects again after a while or if i re-plug the cable. But while driving i would consider it a slight safety risk to do so :)

I hope that someone finds a solution for this or that there is a patch.

Am I automatically subscribed to this thread by my reply or do i have to check back regularly for updates ?

Kindest Regards

David
It appears that here is still no solution for this problem and I am starting to think that there will not be one any time soon. That's disappointing to say the least.
Hey @CupraD 🙂 You don't have to apologize for the long text, this is the place where you can speek freely about your Huawei devices! I've labeled your reply for support. Let's hope we can make you a happy Huawei P30 Pro owner again.
IM NOT FUCKING HAPPY ANYMORE WITH MY P30 PRO BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE!!!!!!! ANDROID AUTO WONT WORK! WTF HUAWEI!!! ITS A FLAG SHIP PHONE THEN ANDROID AUTO WONT WORK? WTF
So I came looking for answers an dit looks like I've found them, what a shame I loved the phone when I first bought it. Its the mate 10, it worked fine until January this year and then the problems stated above started and I've tried every fix that's been suggested from support when I emailed. Guess I won't be buying again and I'll be warning others as well, this isn't a small issue most people use their phones for navigation and ignoring the fault won't help. We'll only few months till I can swap...
Ive come from iPhone XS Max to the P30 Pro, loved Apple car play and worked fine on my pioneer unit every time, tried android auto and after 5-10 minutes crashed and closed, tried all sorts of things I found online and then decided to try and connect the usb cable directly into the head unit at the back instead of using the cars usb port, and it has worked on 2 40 minute journeys with no issues
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
I got the P30 this week switching from Samsung to Huawei. Love the new phone except it won't connect with my card. The car says to use this feature connect supported device to USB when it is and using the cable that came with the phone.

Will this not work with my new phone? Its something I had on my old phone and didn't think a newer phone wouldn't be compatible.

what i found like many app does not 100% support the Chinese maker.. so it probably be from the app not the phone.. i ve got P30 P and it worked perfectly after these steps.. first uninstall Android Auto ,(AA) to clear cache and data..
then reinstall it again
then connect the phone through original usb cable
so everything should happen automatically but not here..
usb should be on charge only...
enter Android Auto app go to settings
select connected cars. you should not see any car connected plus Add New cars to Android Auto was off by default 😡 ... turned it on and everything worked just fine..

really hope if it is same case