Answered

P30 PRO camera post processing problem?

• 6 April 2019
  • 38 replies

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
That comment was really old and the on the p20 pro. It crashed say 2 out of 3 times i used to open it.
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK, because I have found myself two versions of GCam that partly work (the well known 5.x version for the Kirin CPU but also one based on GCam 6.2.1).

BTW, the main problem why those ports do not really work is NOT the chipset but the fact that they need access to Camera API 2 at least level "full".
Otherwise they don't have access to burst mode, raw data and so on and can't do their HDR or night sight stuff (the last you don't really need on the P30 Pro but the HDR images of GCam that are razor sharp up to the smallest blade of grass are really stunning).
Userlevel 5
Badge
The more i use the phone the more I find wrong with it.

Camera is all over the place, colours etc.
Video is ok but when you start to zoom it goes down hill till you hit the 5x camera. The auto focus on the video cannot be fixed its always re adjusting.
The over exposure cannot be locked in manual mode. Yes I know this can be manually done in pro mode.

Always on display is not showing all notifications.

Speakers volume goes up and down during play back.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Isnt the new camera software update mentioned at IFA meant to sort this out? When the new p30 pro was launched with emui10 and a new upgraded colour system software update was coming to every p30pro.

Hi @Amy @Danjl can you confirm the above?
Yeah, can anyone update on the emui 10 and new camera software? Problem solved?

And is the mate 30 having same issue?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I finally got the beta today. So far it's of course too early to really say much.
The white balance still gets easily confused under artificial lighting with colors getting much too yellow /orange.

Still overall the camera app seems a bit more stable now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Jovo , can you confirm the beta helps answer the question @Crawshaw09 has?

Isnt the new camera software update mentioned at IFA meant to sort this out? When the new p30 pro was launched with emui10 and a new upgraded colour system software update was coming to every p30pro.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Jovo , can you confirm the beta helps answer the question @Crawshaw09 has?

Yes and no. The beta is a bit better in some cases and seems to deliver overall a bit more consistent / stable results - but it still get easily confused and uses totally wrong white balance with partly massive red/orange color shift with artificial lighting.
Outdoor / daylight seems better.

Portrait mode with (few) artificial light:

Ouch!

In photo mode the picture is MUCH better:

but some colors are still off - the cats fur is not that orange. And too much contrast which leads to loss of detail.

Overall there seems to be a slight improvement but the camera app still has a long way to go.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Even in daylight some problems do persist: The center focus with blurring to the periphery - you don't always want a bokeh but the whole object being sharply depicted. And the images always tend to be too warm and too contrasty.

E.g.:
https://i.imgur.com/KW7AVMy.jpg
There's too much contrast and the overall image is too warm. Details are not really good.

For reference a similar shot on the Mi 8 with the outstanding GCam:
https://i.imgur.com/3Pa7b4s.jpg
Just look at the difference in detail e.g. in the cats fur or the basket (which is in fact grey with a slight blue-ish tint and not like in the first image of the P30).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another update: camera performance in good daylight conditions really really does seem more stable now.
I've done quite a few shots the last two days and the 'Matrix'-ish green tint I sometimes got before (making people look sick) didn't happen anymore.

Pictures still tend to be a bit too warm for my taste but this is something you can argue about - others might like it as it is.

Now if they get the sharpness/details and the color balance in artifical lighting right plus allow us access to Camera 2 API we would be happy 😊
Userlevel 5
Badge
Another update: camera performance in good daylight conditions really really does seem more stable now.
I've done quite a few shots the last two days and the 'Matrix'-ish green tint I sometimes got before (making people look sick) didn't happen anymore.

Pictures still tend to be a bit too warm for my taste but this is something you can argue about - others might like it as it is.

Now if they get the sharpness/details and the color balance in artifical lighting right plus allow us access to Camera 2 API we would be happy 😊

What update did you get?
Userlevel 2
Badge
This was meant as an update to my findings with the beta software, not an actual system software.
This yellowish tint and grainy sharpness is unacceptable. Cosindering Samsung s10e gains with last update features from newest note 10. While we cant make good photo in NORMAL mode. Im diaspointed and belive new update will change this features or maybe it cant be changed, because od RYYB and small size of pixels. It would be sad.