Answered

P30 Pro Main Camera Colour Spectrum Unrealistic

Userlevel 1
  • Fearless Explorer
  • 4 replies
Main Camera Colours are too saturated (even without AI - than its even worse), especially in red, yellow, orange etc. part of spectrum. Unrealistic. Supposing RYYB characteristic (wide and zoom cameras colours are correct), need to be software corrected. Will be soon? Why its not on release with such a premium phone?
Really unpleasant downside of such great camera - especially when its basically major reason to buy p30...
icon

Best answer by Max 15 May 2019, 20:14

Hi @Anton, welcome!

We're sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the camera!

We have taken your feedback into consideration for upcoming updates.

We'll let our developments team know about your opinion.

If you have further observations, please let us know!

Cheers
View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @Anton, welcome!

We're sorry to hear that you're disappointed with the camera!

We have taken your feedback into consideration for upcoming updates.

We'll let our developments team know about your opinion.

If you have further observations, please let us know!

Cheers
Userlevel 2
There is a new 162 update released in China for now which brings some camera improvements: "Improves photo quality making colors appear more natural and authentic"
I moved from an IPhone to Android after 12 years of loyalty to ios. My choice was the Huawei P30. I have had the phone for just one week but have been so frustrated with the quality of the photos.
I am a professional photographer and didn't expect this problem after all the reviews I have read before buying the phone. Photos are over processed. The worst problem is with people. Colors and skin tones over processed. I imagine the problem can't be with the Leica lens, but rather a software issue. I don't think I am the only one having this issue. Please shed some light before I go back to my old IPhone :((
There is a new 162 update released in China for now which brings some camera improvements: "Improves photo quality making colors appear more natural and authentic"
I didn't understand. Is this update available worldwide? How do we get it?
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/
I agree, colors are too saturated, there should be a "neutral" color profile.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not only are they too saturated but also the white balance is really off quite often in artificial light. Would be nice to have an option to set white balance not only on Pro mode.

Sometimes the whole image has a yellow or green tint - kinda like we were in "The Matrix".

As an example:

This is the original image as provided by the camera app. Much to yellow/orange. And even after some corrections (white balance, hue, ..):

the cats fur still is too yellow/orange which is hard or at least time intensive to correct. Plus the whole image has too much contrast (also a bit corrected in the second version) leading to detail loss / an overall not really sharp image.

Oh, and please, please enable Camera 2 API at least at "Full" level, maybe even Level 3.
I just like to clarify that we are talking about "Photo" mode, when camera has problems with white balance it can't be corrected in that mode and i don't think that "WOW" colors should be as default setting.
Standard color setting should be neutral and VIVID color setting should be like Standard is now.
I like JPG's from PRO mode with RAW enabled but the colors are laso like in "Photo" mode.
Colors in RAW are correct but need to be processed with CornerFix before any RAW editor because none has a profile for Huawei p30 pro.
I could (and I would want to) forget the RAW with camera JPG but with "NEUTRAL" colors.
"Photo" mode is really good, it just needs neutral colors and manual white balance.

Thank You
Pawel
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another example, this time first the image as it should look like:

And now the greenish "Matrix" look that the camera app produced:

This issue is really a quite big drawback of the otherwise nice camera. Since the phone is marketed as "photo wonder" you'd think this should be solved.
It can't be that hard to get the white balance and overall colours right - even simply doing the "automatic" correction in google photos app on the image gives a way better/more natural impression than the stock app.
Is this in "Photo" mode with or without MasterAI ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Is this in "Photo" mode with or without MasterAI ?

Yes. Photo mode without Master AI (as this tends to make things worse).
In Pro mode it's a bit better and sometimes you get the best images with the HDR option from "more"
Let's hope that those posts get where they should.
I played with raw's when i bought this phone but it's pointless, it's all about convenience and great results, not about editing and trying to make something better.
This is what camera phone is; convenience.
What i like in "Photo" mode that it takes (without Master AI) great shots in any condition even in pitch black scenes, without changing settings, modes etc.
There are still things to tweak like WB, hopefully it can be done and will be done with time.
I have to say that I'm getting satisfied with all that computational photography, because i wasn't a big fan, especially with urban landscape.
All in all Huawei engineers did awesome job, but let's hope that they didn't say last word yet :)

Thx
Pawel
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is what camera phone is; convenience.
What i like in "Photo" mode that it takes (without Master AI) great shots in any condition even in pitch black scenes, without changing settings, modes etc.

Exactly. But ATM it's just this convenience that's a bit missing. Some shots are really great out of the box but then there are others even at good light conditions where the image is off and you have to go to image editing programs and spend some time to get the colours right - which mostly can be achieved and after all leads to good results but that is not anymore convenient.

A bit of a random hit or miss thing. I had this earlier with my Xiaomi Mi 8 which is why I settled there for GCam as it gave overall much more consistent image quality and overall VERY good quality except for zoom.

Overall I'm still happy with the camera and this is complaining at a high level, of course - but it bugs me that some shots were better on the Mi 8 than on the P30 Pro which just shouldn't be.

P.S.: Seeing the wonders that GCam achieved on the Mi8 I'd really like to know what Googles HDR magic would be able to do with the superior P30 optics.
Overall I'm still happy with the camera and this is complaining at a high level, of course - but it bugs me

Haha, i know the feeling 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Let's hope for EMUI 10...
Beta is out, anybody care to test it? 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Beta is out, anybody care to test it? :)

I applied for the Beta program - waiting for confirmation atm
Please share Your findings after update, i read somewhere that there are new color profiles with emui10 new camera app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Of course I will - that is if the request gets accepted one day...
Maybe emui10 will be better out of the box.
I have the same issue with my huawei p30 pro. The yellow saturation is annoying especially in yellowish light, or when there is something yellow and shiny... What's point of good night camera if you take pictures mostly during the day, will they even fix it ? Thinking of returning huawei and getting some other smartphone
I wouldn't return it, just take raw's in good light, and in bad use photo mode.
It's a really good phone not only picture wise, and new emui should have more color profiles.
Use profiles attached to this post with this software
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cornerfix/
And convert to jpg how you like it with Lightroom or C1 or any other.

Pawel
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah, since you can fix the wrong colors yourself even afterwards in the processed file it must be possible for huawei to fix it in their app.

And the Zoom alone is worth it to keep the P30 Pro over the competition (of which each has their own share of problems).
And this is what can be done with main camera using CornerFix + Lightroom

27mm