Answered

P30 Pro not honouring silent mode or do not disturb mode

Userlevel 1
My P30 Pro has suddenly, since a few days, started loudly playing sound for all notifications, even if it is in "silent", "vibrate" or "do not disturb" mode! It evens seems that it plays sounds for all incoming notifications at once if there are multiple, through one another, adding to the din. As you can imagine this is extremely irritating.

How can I resolve this problem?

The phone is fully up to date and has had nothing out of the ordinary installed on it. A reboot does not help. This is the default "bongo" notification sound and it plays for all notifications, it has nothing to do with one particular app.
icon

Best answer by teunvw 14 June 2019, 15:36

For everyone still facing this problem, since none of the solutions suggested above worked for me, I've found a different temporary fix that made silent mode actually silent again, and it's really simple:

Go to:
Settings > Sound > Default volume button control
Select "Ringtone volume".

Hope this helps some of you!
View original

38 replies

Userlevel 1
I have news! Apparently this is an Android bug, and it's affecting many people (including Pixel phone users, which is pure Android).

Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/buqmtg/notificationringermedia_volume_bug/
Bug report in Google's issue tracker: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/134214639

The media and ringer volumes have somehow got linked, causing notifications to be played at the volume of the media volume. If you lower the media volume, you can silence the phone. It's also somehow linked to Bluetooth. Clearing all settings or resetting the phone makes the problem go away, but when you connect a Bluetooth device again it will recur.

I hope Google will fix this quickly. I also hope that Huawei phones will actually get the fix. If not, it's back to the store for mine, 'cause this is not usable.
I also have this issue and it's driving me up the wall! My phone has been notifying me in the cinema, at work, during meetings. Please fix this ASAP
Hey, everyone! This morning while DND mode should have been on I got an email and to my amazement (and some anger) it played the sound that goes along with it. This has occurred once or twice before but I didn't really pay it much attention. I looked through Google for people with a similar issue and there were 0 help so I came here to ask what is going on? I own a mate 10 pro that is in warranty and I don't have any other issues with it. Just this little annoyance. Thanks!
Same problem with me. Not sure if this is a recent update that is causing this. This was not the case before. Sure it's damn annoying and looks like many are facing this
For everyone still facing this problem, since none of the solutions suggested above worked for me, I've found a different temporary fix that made silent mode actually silent again, and it's really simple:

Go to:
Settings > Sound > Default volume button control
Select "Ringtone volume".

Hope this helps some of you!

I got no idea how this actually works but it does for me as well. Nothing of the previous work arounds does but this is legit. Thanks a bunch for sharing.
Same thing has started happening to me on my mate 20 pro. Set to DND overnight with no priority overrides but still get a notification sound. I have to turn phone off which means I can't use it anymore for my alarm
I had the same issue with my P20. (Build 9.0.0.270)
Userlevel 1
I get that they can't fix something like this in days, but they absolutely should acknowledge the problem. As far as I can tell so far Huawei is oblivious.
Reckon it's a sunking ship and we are one of the few survivors still on it. Time to jump ship.
For a temporary workaround you can disable the "Google" app in the settings (Apps/Apps/Google).

While this is disabled you won't be able to use the assistant.

Edit: as mentioned below it might affect a few other things as well, didn't notice because I don't use them
At least for me the EMUI 9.0.0.223 update fixed the bug, hope you guys aren't suffering anymore either.
Copied from Reddit.com and WORKING fix for me! (I now remember I recently allowed google to send voice messages to my Sony WH1000 headset!):

Turn off "notification access" of "Google" (Apps & notifications > special app access, or via search)
Of course you do not get notifications via your Bluetooth headset now. But it is much better than being awakened at 4am by some weird email (happened to me twice)
I suspect that the recent "Google" app update (on May 30, which matches when these posts begin to pop up here) messed up the whole thing
EDIT: fixed my crappy word choice, be more accurate about some details
I have the exact same issue!!! It's so infuriating. Updating the software fixed it for a day but now it's back. Please please please fix this bug Huawei!!!!!!
Has anyone had any luck with a factory reset? I don't want to go through the effort of doing one to find the issue is still there.

As a temporary fix, I've managed to stop the notification sounds by activating do not disturb mode and turning the media volume down to zero. Obviously this isn't helpful if you want to listen to music, but it does mean you can leave your phone when in meetings etc.
UPDATE: strangely enough, the issue seems to be gone on my phone. Notifications are back to normal. I've done NOTHING special in order to fix it, so sadly no useful info for you guys.
Same issue on my Honor 10, it's absolutely the worst fault you can have. My phone is now completely unusable as I can't shut it up without turning it off. Please help me fix it before I throw the phone from the window.
Hi, I am also facing this problem. It started only today even on silent mode, my whatsapp notification still beeps. Is it a bug from a deployed update ?
Userlevel 1
I reset my phone, and that helped. For about an hour. Now the problem is back. And apparently it is affecting many people. Hopefully you have something better to offer than "talk to support," @Huawei Mobile UK?
Userlevel 1
I even tried setting the notification sound to "none". It even ignores that and *still* plays the "bongo" sound!
Wanted to share, I spoke to support like the Question "answer" said to do, they told me this, and it doesn't appear to be in the answers:

Try First: Clean your cache

1. To wipe the cache of the device , you simply have to power off the device in question.
  2. Once it is off please press and hold the Volume Up Key and the Power Button for about 30 seconds.
  3. The device will then boot into a new menu with only 3 visible options. The first option from the top is the one that we are looking for in this list.
  4. Once the process has ended the device will come back to this menu.
  5. In order to leave the menu simply tap Reboot System Now ( the last option on the bottom of the list )
No luck: Hard reset your phone (I luckily didn't have to do this)
  1. If this will not help then we recommend a factory reset. This will erase all data on the internal storage and will turn the device back to its factory settings.
  2. Therefore, before doing this, make sure that you back up all of your files and data (documents, photos, videos, contacts, notes, media files etc.) on the SD card (in Settings > Advanced settings > Backup & reset, or via the Backup App), on the PC (using HiSuite), or on the Google account, and that you know the Google account and password with which you have previously signed in or remove it in Settings > Accounts > select the account > Remove.
Hope that helps someone.
Userlevel 1
Even setting the volume as low as possible (but not silent) does not help. It still plays the notification as loud as possible. It sure would be nice to get some recognition or help from Huawei.
Userlevel 1
Wanted to share, I spoke to support like the Question "answer" said to do, they told me this, and it doesn't appear to be in the answers:

This is just their scripted standard answer to everything when they don't know what the actual cause is. Useless first line helpdesk stuff, it does nothing when the problem is an actual bug, like in this case.
Its been a couple of days and customer service have done nothing, absolutely unacceptable.
Userlevel 1
Its been a couple of days and customer service have done nothing, absolutely unacceptable.
Sorry @mamu178 , I accidentally marked your comment as the answer (just takes one wrong mouse click, and this stupid forum software does not ask for confirmation or allow you to undo it).
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are sorry, unfortunately the community do not seem to have an answer for your query. We'd suggest you reach out to our official support channels here https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/