Answered

P30 Pro Smart flip case not working properly

• 10 April 2019
  • 21 replies

So I've recently got my Huawei P30 Pro and wanted a different case then I usually have. So I went and bought the official Huwaei P30 Pro smart flip case. In the video's I've checked, it looks nice and worked as intended.

However, in my case it does not. When I don't use the case, the always on display setting does what it's supposed to do, and shows the time, date etc. When i put the case on, it does this for about 20 to 30 seconds and then goes black.

I've tried a few options to see if I could get it to work properly, but so far I haven't managed to fix the issue.

• I've turned OFF the Always on display setting, and turned ON smart cover setting > use display setting OFF. No effect;
  • Turned on Always ON display > all day setting ON, Turned ON smart cover setting > use display setting ON. No effect;
  • Played around with the screen sleep setting, no effect.
I've also looked to see if other people had this problem, but could only find kind of the same problems with the Huawei P20. It shouldn't be so hard to get an official smart cover to work as intended.

I hope I'm not the only one out there with this problem. And maybe someone has a fix for this issue. Thanks in regards.
icon

Best answer by Jmoon 10 April 2019, 16:23

Hi @Donslackalot

Congratulations on the P30 Pro. I have the Mate 20 pro with Smart View Flip Case and this is actually how it's meant to work, annoying as that might be. I think the justification for not having AOD in the smart view window is that it may cause burn-in. As such, I'm afraid that there is no fix for this issue.

You can, however, activate the display through lift to wake or by pressing the power key, without opening the cover. Notifications will also cause the display to appear.
View original

21 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Hi @Donslackalot

Congratulations on the P30 Pro. I have the Mate 20 pro with Smart View Flip Case and this is actually how it's meant to work, annoying as that might be. I think the justification for not having AOD in the smart view window is that it may cause burn-in. As such, I'm afraid that there is no fix for this issue.

You can, however, activate the display through lift to wake or by pressing the power key, without opening the cover. Notifications will also cause the display to appear.
Hi.@Jmoon ,

Thank you for your reply. It seems strange to me that the AOD won't stay on, but I can understand your reasoning. Just have to get used to it I guess.

I'll also turn on the notifications turn screen on setting, see if that helps it a little.

Again thank you.
Hi, I also bought the flip case and I wish I knew it stops showing after a few seconds, kinda defeats the purpose.

My problem is, now it's not working whatsoever, the other user mentioned something in the settings in regards to flip case, I can't find it anywhere, it just stopped working, don't know why.

Also, I don't think I ever saw it coming up whenever I got a notification, which would be useful, is it meant to pop up and see the notifications when they happen?

Thanks in advance!
Now I know that it doesn't display time all the time, but it doesn't even comes back on when I get a notification, is that also the way it is meant to work?

Don't really understand what's the point of this see through case if only works for a few seconds after closing it. No point whatsoever...

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @jmnp
Similar to most smart cases with AOD - the case is designed to project the information only for a limited amount of time to save on the devices battery while also facilitating a AOD function for quick checks.
We appreciate your feedback within this case and I will forward it to our R&D team. Perhaps in the near future a function suited to your needs will be made available.

Best wishes,
Max
@Max
Well, what's the point of having that information only when you close it? Everything that is showing for a few seconds, we could see it right before closing it.
It makes no sense at all if it doesn't even show notifications when we receive them.

What a waste of money!!
Hi all.
Had my p30 Pro about 3 days and got the smart case yesterday but I've ran into a few issues.
When I close the case the screen just turns off, it doesn't show the time, notifications or weather, phone calls do however come up and I can swipe up or down to reject the call.
I've tried with always on display switched on and off
Smart screen settings are both on.
Lift to wake is on

I'm at a loss, can anyone help?
Hello.

I also suddenly lost all data from my smart view cover when flipping cover close position. I couldn't find answer why this suddenly happened. I toggled all settings back and forth smart cover enabled/disabled, notification, dark mode etc screen settings.

Then I remembered last setting I changed was sleep time setting. from 10minutes to 15 sec. After swapping that setting back to 10minutes closing lid and put setting back to 15sec made my cover to work again.

And really it was this setting cos some time later it happened again and same method worked! Some bug or what?
I have a flip case and if I close the flip case without turning the screen off first my Auto Brightness setting on the phone changes from Auto to a manual once the phone locks after a minute. When I activate the screen again the screen brightness is super low to such a point I cannot see the screen in a well lit area. I have to go into a dark space and go into the settings and change it to auto again. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I am running a launcher (Microsoft Launcher).

Any Ideas how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.
Hi,
I had the same problem. Tried everything as above. Nothing worked. Then I restarted the P30 Pro and It worked as supposed. AOS is on when I close the flip. Turns off after x sec and turns on when I lift the phone.
Good luck!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Scruffygoat ,

I've moved your topic here to avoid duplication, as I believe it relates to a similar issue. Hope this helps.
When I close the Huawei smart flip case the clock only shows for about 5 secs . With the cover open it stays on permanent. Not much point in the transparent window?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi @camber,

I moved your question to this thread to avoid double topics. Please read the comments. And let us know if you still need assistance! 🙂
Thank you Amy
but regardless of the reasons for the display not remaining on stop pushing this feature as a reason to buy this case
I bought the smart view flip case recently but it didn't work properly on my phone...I then went back to the store I bought it from and tried 4 more cases(same ones) but non of them did work 😏.So then I start thinking that it's got something to do with my phone device so I took it to my mobile provider where I got the phone from and told them about the problem but even they were unable to locate the problem so I end up with just a protector on my phone but not a smart view whatsoever 😫.
The problem I have is when close the cover it doesn't put the screen on sleep mode and show the time and date as it suppose to be but you can see all icons on the screen as well as you can operate with the phone running your finger on the cover while is closed.
Any suggestions on how to fix that are welcome

Hi,
I have a new P30, very happy with it.

However I got the smart case with it and when the smart case cover is closed and I receive a call, there is no ring tone, and I end up missing calls. If the flip case is open I can hear the ring tone and answer.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is there a special setting or something?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@nuclearstar welcome to the community. I moved your post here about smart case issues. Perhaps @Jmoon can help with your question about the ring tone.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@HokayT have you checked Smart cover is enabled in Settings? Go to settings and search for "Smart cover" and make sure it's enabled.
I do wonder who the people are who answer posters questions here on a Huawei-sponsored web site. Maybe not Huawei employees? Maybe not people familiar right across the entire phone product range but still feel obliged to answer questions and gain some ephemeral kudos. Well-meaning people who get by for the most park until thing get a bit technical.
The smart cover has a fault. The always on display should remain just that, always on unless the user disables it.
@Jmoon, no the cover does not turn off to prevent burn in. Firstly AOD was much touted as a must-have feature now possible due to the low power usage of OLED screens. More importantly, without a "smart" cover the AOD (always on display) moves around on screen thus preventing possible screen damage. It's designed that way and was the clue that you are not entirely familiar with this model. The new cover has a transparent window running the length of the screen unlike the Mate 10 Pro smart cover which was foggy. It is transparent on the P30 Pro supposedly so I can see the time and temperature . . . always. As other posters have taken the time to report, notifications are also blocked.
Please be sure, this is a design fault and completely negates ANY reason to own a genuine Huawei smart cover on the P30 Pro. On the Mate 10 Pro I could activate the clock by touching the fingerprint sensor on the rear of the phone. With the P30 Pro this workaround is not possible.
If something new pops up that fixes this issue I would ask Huawei to contact me on the email I used to register here today. In the meantime I am now in the market for a decent cover.
Thanks for reading.
Dear community,

Purchased the p30 pro with flip cover.

Too bad I can't see an incoming call when the cover is closed.

Is this a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
@Doolbyd welcome to the community. I moved your post here to avoid duplication. Hopefully this helps you. There are couple of things people recommend one being, have you checked Smart cover is enabled in Settings? Go to settings and search for "Smart cover" and make sure it's enabled.