Answered

Problems with the P30 Pro camera

Hi all,
I am having some really annoying issues with the camera on this device which is heart-breaking since its the soul reason I purchased it....

The issue I am finding more than anything is the terrible performance in simple point and shoot photos that even a brick could do... I have turned off the master AI and it still seems there is some form of AI altering stuff and ONLY bringing subjects that are in the centre of the shot in focus.

I do a simple photo of my morning coffee and it looks terrible, half of the cup is out of focus around the rim and the back seems to be heavily Bokeh'd in post processing even in normal photo mode.

to test this I used the grid and anything that is not in the central square is subject to this effect, it is not as preminant for the middle column but the left/right 3 are out of focus or blurry/grainy.

this camera has so much potential and really shines at protraits I have found, however this software seems to over brighten all photos and make them over exposed even when I lower it and just look very low quality.

Coming over from a DSLR the convenience is nice but to try counter some if this stuff in pro mode it still happens...

Any help would be great as I have around 4 days to send it back within the 14 days cool off, I really don't want too as this phone in every other area is AMAZING, I love EMUI, the screen, the speakers, the battery performance (Simply fantastic).. but this camera... my personal selling point is just worse than my s8 plus in casual applications and only beaten in zoom and low light performance.. could some one try help me eliminate this focusing issue?
icon

Best answer by CharlieT 25 July 2019, 15:56

Hi @kieranlong

Thank you for your feedback,
I would recommend you to try a backup and a factory reset for the phone and see how it goes further.

You will find a number of options on how to back up your phone:

VIA SD CARD:

The simplest way to back up your whole phone is via an SD Card ( provided it supports one ). Your Huawei device has a Backup app preinstalled, which can be found on the main screen or in the Tools folder. Simply access the app, tap on back up, select Other Methods ( if SD Card is not already visible ) and you will see a list of all the information that you can back up. Select what is of interest to you ( make sure there's a blue check mark ) and tap on backup. You will be prompted to back up the info on your SD Card as well, which you can skip.
Then, skip the password ( or if you wish to have one, make sure you write it down. You cannot recover a password for the back up ) and the backup will commence.

GOOGLE ACCOUNT:

If you're looking to backup just your contacts and pictures, this is easily done via Google Photos.
For photos, access Google Photos ( Google Folder ), tap on the top left 3 bar icon and Select Settings.
Select Backup and make sure that Back up is enabled, that you have a connected Google Account and if not, you will need one.
If mobile data back up of pictures is enabled, you might have data charges applied so make sure that you are backing up your pictures via Wifi.
Then, go back to the main menu of Google Photos, tap on Albums at the bottom and make sure that no photos folder that you are intereste din has a cloud icon. Tap on the folders with the cloud icon and you will see that the backup setting can be enabled for the folder. If the cloud is there, it means that the particular folder is not being backed up.
For contacts, go to the Contacts app, tap on More ( at the bottom ) and select Import & Export.
Select Export to Storage, Tap on Export and in Export from, select all sources of contacts ( select all ).
Then, select Import from storage, select the vcard file ( if there are multiple, select all ), tap on import, and then select Google.
Provided that you know your Google Account, your pictures and contacts will always be visible from it.

VIA COMPUTER/LOCAL FILES:

Using the MTP (media transfer protocol); to enable it, on your phone, please go to Settings > All > About phone > and tap on Build number 7 times in rapid succession.
Then go back to Settings > All> Developer options > find USB debugging and make sure it is ticked. Once done, plug your phone to the computer and you will notice a notification (on the phone) with USB options. Touch it and in the displayed menu select MTP.
You only need to go though these steps once. After this, reconnect your phone to the computer and on the computer you will be able to see the phone as any other folder and copy/paste files to/from it at your leisure.

VIA COMPUTER/ HiSuite:

A final option would be to use HiSuite. This is a software developed by Huawei, specifically to allow users to backup files. Download & install HiSuite to your computer and the program will have step by step instructions for you. Please take note that HiSuite does not backup photos/videos.
You can download it at the following link: consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/
To do a factory reset, follow these steps ( Bear in mind that a factory reset will delete all data on your internal storage ):
1. Make sure you know your Google Account details. If you are not sure, then remove it by going to:
Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Remove account
2. Power off the phone by pressing the power button for 3-5 seconds until the power off option appears on the screen. Select the Power Off option and wait for your device to fully shut down.
3. At the same time, press the power and volume up button and keep them pressed until you see the Huawei logo, then release them.
4. A three option menu will appear. Using the volume up & down buttons to navigate and the power button to choose, select the options in the following order:
Wipe Cache Partition -> Wipe Data/Factory Reset -> Reboot System
After Reboot System, your device will restart and you will have to do the initial setup of the phone.
You could also remove the google account remotely :
Open the Google Chrome web browser and Go to the Google Account Login page. Click on the Security into the Google Account page and then find the Your Device Section. Click on the Manage Devices into the Your Device section. Select a Device which you want to remove and then Click on the Red Remove button.

Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Charlie T.🤓
View original

20 replies

this issue is with the software on the camera app as I went onto snapchat and done the same thing and it doesn't suffer from this issue and proportionately focuses everything.. but the trade off no no zoom modes, portraits and aperture mode mean it isn't a viable solution? is this known by Huawei/other users and being patched or just going to stay this way?
Userlevel 2
Are you able to share a copy of the image in question to help understand your problem. This sounds more like a carpenter blaming his tools. Across the market P30 Pro has the best camera available on any current mobile so I think this is merely understanding the right right setting for the right scenery to get then get the balance correct.

Here is a useful link to help understand more on the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHDvLU7rGA

And also this Hints and Tips link: https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/huawei-p30-pro-camera-night-mode-tips-11364354308768
As I previously stated I am pretty capable with cameras and have seen other people say that the sensor is focusing in the centre of the image I will attach two images (similar but not exactly the same) one taken in the camera app (Steady hand etc) and one from snapchat itself.

as shown above, the snapchat image is more along the lines in what I would expect in a simple point and shoot.. I shouldn't have to balance the WB, ISO and shutter speed to simply take an in forcus shot of a phones dialpad, it is evident, I will try show some more example as these are not the best quality.
this is the example for the coffee mug as I mentioned in the initial comment, again the snapchat image is far more organic and doesn't

have this dramatic blurring
like I said this is the only area I find this issue in I have had some very capable shots of this device, especially protraits because of the TOF sensor. the picture of the gravey jug highlights its strength as that was taken at 10 times hybrid zoom across a restaurant and the portrait of my grandma highlights the capabilities of its portraits, its just this issue with the AF/AI blurring stuff it shouldn't be.... its not just a carpenter blaming his tools

Are you able to share a copy of the image in question to help understand your problem. This sounds more like a carpenter blaming his tools. Across the market P30 Pro has the best camera available on any current mobile so I think this is merely understanding the right right setting for the right scenery to get then get the balance correct.

Here is a useful link to help understand more on the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHDvLU7rGA
And also this Hints and Tips link: https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/huawei-p30-pro-camera-night-mode-tips-11364354308768

If you have something like a phone pad or a keyboard and try get it all in focus, the central keys will be more in focus than the outter ones, just asked my girlfriend who has the standard p30 and has the same thing, its quite noticeable if you look yourself, btw the master AI is disabled for all photos as I don't use it at all.

This is the only place I notice it and as I've said and shown above other areas of the camera are fantastic like you stated and I love everything about the device itself, its just an annoyance over anything and I think easily patchable (If its a wider issue than my device) Or simply a clearing of a cache or resetting my device
Userlevel 2
The reason behind the blurring is you are switching from Photo mode to Portrait mode.

Portrait mode will have a specific focus point (which can be altered by clicking the area of focus) and therefore the background is blurred.
The reason behind the blurring is you are switching from Photo mode to Portrait mode.

Portrait mode will have a specific focus point (which can be altered by clicking the area of focus) and therefore the background is blurred.

Like I said this is all done in the simple bog standard camera, mo master AI at 1x zoon and the item in question being the focal point, the only things being done by the phone is the WB, ISO and shutter speed... literally try it yourself and you'll see what I mean, portrait mode doesn't blur unless you have a subject (Person) so it would be me swapping to the appeture mode which is furthest left option on the device.

Try it yourself;
point camera at anything say a coffee cup
focus it on the coffee cup
take a photo

you'll see that it is disproportionatly focused

do it again on a third party camera app
facebook
instagram
whatsapp
snapchat

the issue is not prevalent

the master AI is disabled so im not switching focal lengths or camera modes

all photos taken within the app used an assistive grid to ensure that the items were in the middle of the frame for continuity
I have just tested with different focal lengths and have found this isn't an issue on the two other sensors (Telephoto and wide angle)

main sensor first image
wide angle second
telephoto third

simply compare the F keys between the 1x and wide angle and you can see what I mean...
Steady hand before you say it was the hand, as the middle keys are all perfectly focused, if it was a wobbly hand then all keys would be the same level of blurred.

and even the telephoto focused them more balanced than the main sensor....

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi @kieranlong

Thank you for your feedback,
I would recommend you to try a backup and a factory reset for the phone and see how it goes further.

You will find a number of options on how to back up your phone:

VIA SD CARD:

The simplest way to back up your whole phone is via an SD Card ( provided it supports one ). Your Huawei device has a Backup app preinstalled, which can be found on the main screen or in the Tools folder. Simply access the app, tap on back up, select Other Methods ( if SD Card is not already visible ) and you will see a list of all the information that you can back up. Select what is of interest to you ( make sure there's a blue check mark ) and tap on backup. You will be prompted to back up the info on your SD Card as well, which you can skip.
Then, skip the password ( or if you wish to have one, make sure you write it down. You cannot recover a password for the back up ) and the backup will commence.

GOOGLE ACCOUNT:

If you're looking to backup just your contacts and pictures, this is easily done via Google Photos.
For photos, access Google Photos ( Google Folder ), tap on the top left 3 bar icon and Select Settings.
Select Backup and make sure that Back up is enabled, that you have a connected Google Account and if not, you will need one.
If mobile data back up of pictures is enabled, you might have data charges applied so make sure that you are backing up your pictures via Wifi.
Then, go back to the main menu of Google Photos, tap on Albums at the bottom and make sure that no photos folder that you are intereste din has a cloud icon. Tap on the folders with the cloud icon and you will see that the backup setting can be enabled for the folder. If the cloud is there, it means that the particular folder is not being backed up.
For contacts, go to the Contacts app, tap on More ( at the bottom ) and select Import & Export.
Select Export to Storage, Tap on Export and in Export from, select all sources of contacts ( select all ).
Then, select Import from storage, select the vcard file ( if there are multiple, select all ), tap on import, and then select Google.
Provided that you know your Google Account, your pictures and contacts will always be visible from it.

VIA COMPUTER/LOCAL FILES:

Using the MTP (media transfer protocol); to enable it, on your phone, please go to Settings > All > About phone > and tap on Build number 7 times in rapid succession.
Then go back to Settings > All> Developer options > find USB debugging and make sure it is ticked. Once done, plug your phone to the computer and you will notice a notification (on the phone) with USB options. Touch it and in the displayed menu select MTP.
You only need to go though these steps once. After this, reconnect your phone to the computer and on the computer you will be able to see the phone as any other folder and copy/paste files to/from it at your leisure.

VIA COMPUTER/ HiSuite:

A final option would be to use HiSuite. This is a software developed by Huawei, specifically to allow users to backup files. Download & install HiSuite to your computer and the program will have step by step instructions for you. Please take note that HiSuite does not backup photos/videos.
You can download it at the following link: consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/
To do a factory reset, follow these steps ( Bear in mind that a factory reset will delete all data on your internal storage ):
1. Make sure you know your Google Account details. If you are not sure, then remove it by going to:
Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> Remove account
2. Power off the phone by pressing the power button for 3-5 seconds until the power off option appears on the screen. Select the Power Off option and wait for your device to fully shut down.
3. At the same time, press the power and volume up button and keep them pressed until you see the Huawei logo, then release them.
4. A three option menu will appear. Using the volume up & down buttons to navigate and the power button to choose, select the options in the following order:
Wipe Cache Partition -> Wipe Data/Factory Reset -> Reboot System
After Reboot System, your device will restart and you will have to do the initial setup of the phone.
You could also remove the google account remotely :
Open the Google Chrome web browser and Go to the Google Account Login page. Click on the Security into the Google Account page and then find the Your Device Section. Click on the Manage Devices into the Your Device section. Select a Device which you want to remove and then Click on the Red Remove button.

Should you have any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Charlie T.🤓
I have the same blurriness.
I reseted my phone according to your instructions.

However, the blurriness is still there.

I am 100% sure I'm on the "photography" mode .
I am 100% that I have NO "master AI" and NO other gimmicks.

@CharlieT oh, in case you try to reiterate that useless text... Do you think people are stupid or something?
I also did a photo of my keyboard. Some parts are unreadable (like the "backspace" key)
Yes... The P30 has the most advanced BAD camera in the mobile world...

I have the same blurriness.
I reseted my phone according to your instructions.

However, the blurriness is still there.

I am 100% sure I'm on the "photography" mode .
I am 100% that I have NO "master AI" and NO other gimmicks.

@CharlieT oh, in case you try to reiterate that useless text... Do you think people are stupid or something?
I also did a photo of my keyboard. Some parts are unreadable (like the "backspace" key)
Yes... The P30 has the most advanced BAD camera in the mobile world...

Glad it isn't just me, this focus issue is very annoying tbh, I try do cool macro shots but the blur just makes it look like I cropped in.

Like I said earlier in the thread I think anything not in the central 3 panels gets heavily blurred and the top and bottom in the central grids are slightly blurred and seems to only occur on the main sensor.

Hope this camera gets a significant overhaul in an update soon.
Are you saying that you want everything in the frame to be in focus? I just took a few photos of my own keyboard and I do get the "blur" at the top of the keyboard, but isn't this just because the camera is so close to the subject?

I moved back a bit and took another photo, same angle, and the all of the keyboard was in focus.

I took a photo on my work phone (iPhone) and while not as pronounced, the things behind the keyboard, at the top of the image, are also slightly out of focus. Isn't this just about how the camera sensor focuses on objects that are close up?
Are you saying that you want everything in the frame to be in focus? I just took a few photos of my own keyboard and I do get the "blur" at the top of the keyboard, but isn't this just because the camera is so close to the subject?

I moved back a bit and took another photo, same angle, and the all of the keyboard was in focus.

I took a photo on my work phone (iPhone) and while not as pronounced, the things behind the keyboard, at the top of the image, are also slightly out of focus. Isn't this just about how the camera sensor focuses on objects that are close up?

I just tried it zoomed out and it helps mitigate the effect but it is still very much there, its a shame and I have no clue what it is, it really affects the main sensor hard.. the wide angle doesn't seem to suffer as much.

once they fix some oft he colour science and focusing issues like this then this phone has some good potential.. at the minute its either amazing like wow is this a DSLR? or yo you find this thing from a tech bin from the 90s lol
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi all!

We appreciate the customer's input and are very thankful that you took the time to write these suggestions regarding the P30 Pro camera issues.

Your requests have been passed on to the development team and we can assure you that they will be taken into account for future updates & development.

Thank you for your feedback!

All the best,
BarneyT
Your requests have been passed on to the development team
All the best,
BarneyT

Hi Barney,

Could you, please, have a look here and pass that info to the developers, as well ? >> https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-questions-about-the-camera-on-your-device-26/why-are-photos-taken-on-p30-pro-so-bad-6377#post38706

Kind regards

Your requests have been passed on to the development team
All the best,
BarneyT
Hi Barney,

Could you, please, have a look here and pass that info to the developers, as well ? >> https://uk.community.huawei.com/ask-questions-about-the-camera-on-your-device-26/why-are-photos-taken-on-p30-pro-so-bad-6377#post38706

Kind regards

I second this mate, something needs to be done with the colour science/post processing of the camera app as you can negate the effects but its annoying for the average Joe to consistently do.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi guys!

Thank you for coming back to me!

I will forward these topic to the support team as well and I will do my best to get an update on this as soon as possible!

Wish you an awesome day!

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have further issues! You can send a private message as well, if you want this kind of assistance!

Have a lovely day!

Cheers,
BarneyT
Coming from a MI 8 with GCam this overly processing / small focus also annoys me. Also sometimes the white balance is just totally wrong and in the normal Photo mode there's no way to change this.

You can partly circumvent this with using the Pro mode where you can choose different options for the focus and manually select the white balance not only with few presets but even by manually selecting the color temperature. Also in Pro mode the images in general appear less processed / more natural.

And if you just want to point and shoot and still have most everything in focus you should definitely give the HDR mode a try (found under more).